PDA

View Full Version : Why are electric guitars so addictive?

Eric
December 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
So my story goes something like this:

I started playing acoustic guitar when I was about 16, and though it sat in the corner for many years, I would play from time to time. Around 23 I started playing with more regularity.

I got a Squier electric in there somewhere, but I never really got into it. Finally, when I was about 27 or so, I got an Agile AL-3100 and have since been obsessed with electric guitars. I'm now 30.

So the question: why are electric guitars so much more addictive than acoustics? I still really enjoy the acoustic guitar, but I'm not fixated on it quite the same way I am with the electric guitar. I feel like this is not so uncommon and that GAS seems to increase with electrics.

Any thoughts on why? Has this been the case for anyone else? Just curious if this is just some weird quirk with me and if not, why there seems to be a difference.

just strum
December 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
They put nicotine in the paint

FrankenFretter
December 23rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
I think that the differences in acoustics are more subtle than in electrics. The diversity of appearance, sound and character seems more apparent in the world of the electric guitar. Yes, there are plenty of varieties of acoustic, but with the exception of resonators, they all sound fairly similar. I say that knowing that there will be dissenting opinions, but that's just my take anyway.

When I look at acoustics, I don't quite get the thrill that I do when I look at electrics. Hmmm, maybe it has something to do with the rocking and the rolling thing...

hubberjub
December 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Playing acoustic gets you known as being a sensitive singer/songwriter. Playing electric gets you chicks. (In theory at least.)

piebaldpython
December 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Once you play a RESO, then you'll be hooked in the same way. Wood-body versus metal-body.....spider cone, biscuit cone, tricone....the MOJO just permeates the whole darned thing.

Get a decent biscuit cone and you can feel Son House and Bukka White bubblin' up inside. ADDICTIVE!!!

Robert
December 23rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Because you attract so many more babes (or hunks, if that's what you fancy)with an electric guitar, compared to an acoustic guitar.

:crazyguy

luvmyshiner
December 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hmmmm, I so disagree with the premise of this thread.:poke

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Music%20Room/DSC_0001_03.jpg

jpfeifer
December 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Interesting topic. I find that I go back and fourth between the two, electric versus acoustic.

I love to play electric because they're powerful, and they get those singing sounds, that you could never do with an acoustic guitar. With an electric guitar your role in the band kind of changes from being part of the rhythm section to being a featured soloist, when they need it. It's way too much fun to be able to play that part in a band. (this is the main reason why people like playing electric)

But then I love to play acoustic because you can play completely unaccompanied and still sound good. It's also less complicated than electric. You just pick it up and start making music, no amp, no cables, just play. Plus you get all of those great warm sounds of the wood itself, that you don't always get with electric. Acoustic is more organic and earthy, if you want to think of it this way.

I find that I get tired of playing the same electric guitar for too long if it doesn't give a variety of sounds (this is why it's good to have a few different electrics), but I never get tired of playing acoustic guitar.

--Jim

luvmyshiner
December 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
. . . but I never get tired of playing acoustic guitar.

Well spoken Jim.:AOK

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Go hang out at the Acoustic Guitar Forum (formerly a Taylor forum) or Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. You will soon see that cork sniffery and obsessiveness is very prevalent and present there, and that they are just as addicted as we over here are.

Having been revisiting the acoustic world, I can say it can be addicting there too, and that there are very real differences between tone woods. One can certainly get "addicted" to that process too.

For me though, my electrics are equally if not more addicting. Something to do with the ability to tweak the knobs on all the stuff and get different sounds. Finding "your" acoustic can be very obsessive and addicting. But once you found your guitar, there is not much twiddling to do. I remain in love with my acoustic guitar, but it is a different thing.

I also agree with what Jim P. says above.

luvmyshiner
December 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
But once you found your guitar, there is not much twiddling to do.

Steve, Steve, Steve. What makes acoustics so addictive is that you CAN'T change their sound by simply adding a peddle. Every acoustic sounds different. Which means you need an entire stable of girls to fit whatever sound you're looking for at any given time.

just strum
December 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Steve, Steve, Steve. What makes acoustics so addictive is that you CAN'T change their sound by simply adding a peddle. Every acoustic sounds different. Which means you need an entire stable of girls to fit whatever sound you're looking for at any given time.

I really need to buy you that black cape and helmet - it's time boy!!!

tjcurtin1
December 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
They are both seductive, but in very different ways - not only sonically and the way that they play, but the body shapes and colors (for electrics especially), as well as the woods and decorative and design features. I can easily swing from one camp to the other over periods of time, given my mood. Add to that the general tendency of human beings to possessiveness and hoarding, whether it's golf clubs or cars or .....

Tig
December 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hey, I'm not buying this addiction thing...
I've known guys who've played electric guitars for 20, 30, or even 40 years,
and they ain't hooked! ;)

(thanks to Richard Pryor for the original joke on cocaine not being addictive)

pes_laul
December 23rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Because you attract so many more babes (or hunks, if that's what you fancy)with an electric guitar, compared to an acoustic guitar.

:crazyguy
Actually i can get so many chicks to dig on me when i play an acoustic and sing.:french

ZMAN
December 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
My name is Brian and I am an addict. I had to say that to myself this year. I started with a 68 Gibson SG in 69, and had that one for about 35 years. I then purchased a MIM Strat and at small fender SS amp in 96. Since then I have owned about 25 electrics and I currently own 17, and 5 Amps. Most of my guitars are high end and I have traded up, and purchased my way to a really nice cross section of guitars.
I then realized you can only play one at a time and I really didn't have a #1. So I have been narrowing it down to 3 or 4. The only problem is that every now and then I see or hear a really great looking guitar and my emotions start to act up again.
I have to tell myself to take a deep breath and walk away. I made a deal with myself that I can only aquire another guitar if I trade or sell the equivalent dollar value of guitars. I can only hope I can stick to it.

piebaldpython
December 23rd, 2009, 11:15 PM

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Music%20Room/DSC_0001_03.jpg

Yeah...yeah.....yeah......you talk a good talk there Shiner..........BUT.......who built his OWN amp?? Wasn't it YOU who spent a good deal of time building his own amp...and CAB too??....and also has a Little Giant head too??

Methinks you doth protest too much sir!! :poke Isn't DENIAL one of the stages of addiction?? :what

Rumor has it that you have close-up tape of Brad Paisley and Vince Gill, in Super Slo-Mo no less, trying to catch some of their 'lectric git chops. :dude

deeaa
December 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
I think for me the main reasons the electric is so addictive are the primal scream thing - both in that the guitar can roar LOUD thru them 4x12"'s which evokes some primal feelings and tingles the spine (I still get goosebumps sometimes when I wail a lead or listen to Angus Young loud) - and that the music it's used with allows the player also to scream when singing. Primal drumbeat trance-like hypnotism is a plus as well in band playing, and it's even very physical usually to play rock, easy to break a sweat.

And also, it's an instrument that rewards well and is very easy to play - you don't need to learn much anything to sound quite OK, at least enough to please yourself with it. Yet there is infinitely more to learn and explore, you never hit a ceiling on what more you could learn. And also you don't need a drop of musical knowledge or understand any theory to be able to play in bands etc. no problem. And deep down you also know that you _could_ play just as well as any guitar hero if you just put enough practice into it. Few instruments can be so easily mastered as guitar.

Add to those two the tinker factor, guitars are infinitely tweakable and can be personalized to no end, collected etc. and they are beautiful, functional objects to also look at and simply just owning them is pleasing.

Spudman
December 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I don't think it's just the guitar itself that is addictive. I think it's plugging it in and turning it up. It's the primal, lower chakra energies that get stimulated. There is also some chemicals that the body produces when you play as well. This really appeals to the maleness in us. That's why they are addictive for me.

Acoustic guitars just aren't loud enough for me to become addicted.

Robert
December 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Actually i can get so many chicks to dig on me when i play an acoustic and sing.:french

So that's what I've been doing wrong all this time... :thwap
Why didn't anyone tell me before! Dreadnoughts, here I come! :happy

oldguy
December 24th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Agree. I can get that warm, fuzzy feeling playing acoustic (add a neck trap and harp and it's more better), and I really enjoy it.
When I need to scream through my fingers it's electric time.
Yes, an acoustic can be amplified, but I like to have access to the upper freets, and be able to bend strings to ridiculous lengths. And yes, that can be done on acoustic as well, but not by me, not to the extremes I like, and not without irritating feedback. A solidbody and good amph just makes it easier.
As far as the addiction, it's not electric guitar so much as chasing "that" sound, and learning new licks, riffs, chords, and sonic emotions along the journey.........that's what's addicting.

Tig
December 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM
As far as the addiction, it's not electric guitar so much as chasing "that" sound, and learning new licks, riffs, chords, and sonic emotions along the journey.........that's what's addicting.

Ding! We have a winner!

:happy

Tig
December 24th, 2009, 08:28 AM
When you walk into a music store and see all those electric guitars hanging on every wall, you kinda fall into a trance, mesmerized by the many shapes, dazzling colors and swirly flame tops. You walk about like a zombie, drooling with each new discovery, even though you've already seen olympic white Strat's thousands of times before. Then, you try to regain your composure before the salesman asks you to mop up your saliva puddles.

While there are similar, not as intense reactions when entering the acoustic guitar section, I still feel like I'm entering the wine tasting room of a winery. The gravitational pull and lust just isn't as strong.

Acoustic guitars are like wives, electric guitars are like mistresses.

oldguy
December 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM

You naughty, naughty boy............ "Tig" isn't by any chance short for "Tiger", is it?................:rollover

Spudman
December 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM

New signature. Thank you very much.

Ilovecheapguitars
December 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm also one of those guys who switches back and forth. I like my acoustic because you can pick it up and play. the electric has so many options though. pickups active and passive, amps tube and solid state, effects that go on forever. I get new inspiration every time I adjust the settings on something.

sumitomo
December 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
So that's what I've been doing wrong all this time... :thwap
Why didn't anyone tell me before! Dreadlocks, here I come! :happy

Robert it's a little too late for those Dreadlocks isn't it?I love electric but when I get bored I pick up my old Yamaha C40 nylon and it keeps the notes flowing with a different flavor.I wouldn't want one and not the other.Sumi:D:cool:

Eric
December 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Wow. Post a question and look what happens...

Reading these responses, I think that it's probably some combo of all of the ideas mentioned. For me personally, the featured soloist thing, power, and pursuit of new riffs and licks is what really makes electric guitars hard to resist. It's like once things click, you realize that if you can think up a melody, you can probably recreate some version of it on a guitar.

oldguy
December 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Wow. Post a question and look what happens...

Reading these responses, I think that it's probably some combo of all of the ideas mentioned. .

Yeah, post a question and we discuss it.............novel idea, huh?:AOK

As for the responses, mine was the only right one.......................

but it's only right for me.:cool:

Eric
December 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, post a question and we discuss it.............novel idea, huh?
Yeah, though I've also posted plenty of clunkers on here that don't get much of a response. I guess this was a hot topic in waiting.

Plank_Spanker
December 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I don't think it's just the guitar itself that is addictive. I think it's plugging it in and turning it up. It's the primal, lower chakra energies that get stimulated. There is also some chemicals that the body produces when you play as well. This really appeals to the maleness in us. That's why they are addictive for me.

Couldn't agree more, Spud!:dude

Tig
December 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Maybe I shoulda' put up a disclaimer with that! It was a Tiger Woods inspired moment. I'm a very good hubby!

Tig
December 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
New signature. Thank you very much.

I figured someone might use it this way while I was writing it. Does this mean I get a 1 cent royalty per Spudman post now?

marnold
December 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Acoustics aren't pointy enough :)

MAXIFUNK
December 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
ITS THE POWER AND THE GROWL of any electrified instrument.
Requires you get hook for life even if you don not play a single note.

180,000 people to see Santana in Mexico City just to hear that power and growl.

just strum
December 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Good point:poke

Spudman
December 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I figured someone might use it this way while I was writing it. Does this mean I get a 1 cent royalty per Spudman post now?

Sure. It will come in your Canadian music royalty check.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13785&highlight=spanked

Plank_Spanker
December 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
ITS THE POWER AND THE GROWL of any electrified instrument.
Requires you get hook for life even if you don not play a single note.

180,000 people to see Santana in Mexico City just to hear that power and growl.

I've only played through a couple of big PA's, and I have to say that there's nothing like hearing your guitar come back to you through tens of thousands of watts of PA. Thunder of the Gods...........:dude

I like acoustics, but I can't see getting this effect from them as you're holding a note to perfect singing feedback and getting all ugly in the face. :happy

pes_laul
December 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_10004b33f9f5ceb6b.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1435)

I don't know what you're talking about.

Brian Krashpad
December 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM

I don't. ;)

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8061/guitarcollage09elargere.jpg

http://www.afn.org/%7Eafn52445/acoustics2003.JPG

just strum
December 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I don't. ;)

Both of you may want to look into the 12 step program.

Spud might want to look into the 64 step program.

kiteman
December 25th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I think for me the main reasons the electric is so addictive are the primal scream thing - both in that the guitar can roar LOUD thru them 4x12"'s which evokes some primal feelings and tingles the spine (I still get goosebumps sometimes when I wail a lead or listen to Angus Young loud) - and that the music it's used with allows the player also to scream when singing. Primal drumbeat trance-like hypnotism is a plus as well in band playing, and it's even very physical usually to play rock, easy to break a sweat.

And also, it's an instrument that rewards well and is very easy to play - you don't need to learn much anything to sound quite OK, at least enough to please yourself with it. Yet there is infinitely more to learn and explore, you never hit a ceiling on what more you could learn. And also you don't need a drop of musical knowledge or understand any theory to be able to play in bands etc. no problem. And deep down you also know that you _could_ play just as well as any guitar hero if you just put enough practice into it. Few instruments can be so easily mastered as guitar.

Add to those two the tinker factor, guitars are infinitely tweakable and can be personalized to no end, collected etc. and they are beautiful, functional objects to also look at and simply just owning them is pleasing.

I very agree! :dude

Electric guitars (and the amps and the pedals) are my pride and joy. :)

Maxifunk, if you're talking about Santana Sacred Fire Live in Mexico, yes, it's a grand concert. Santana rocks!