PDA

View Full Version : new guy from hampton roads

Ilovecheapguitars
December 24th, 2009, 09:14 AM
hey everybody. my name is mike and I'm from Portsmouth Va. I play guitar. I'm not really in a band right now but more like half a dozen projects. I'm also not a luthier but I like to perform open heart surgery on guitars. rip everything out replace the guts. sometimes I re-sell them but not usually. I have 4 complete guitars that I like to play. I also have a bunch of pieces parts and project guitars laying around the house. my wife hates it hahahahaha.

Mike

sunvalleylaw
December 24th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Welcome ILCG! I am sure you will like it here!

evenkeel
December 24th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the group. Lots of DYI'ers and lovers of cheap guitars around. you'll fit right in!!!! :applause :AOK

Spudman
December 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Hi and welcome Mike. So...what are the 4 guitars that you like to play?

Ilovecheapguitars
December 24th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hi and welcome Mike. So...what are the 4 guitars that you like to play?
I have a bone stock epi LP jr. I bought it new in 01 or so so I don't think it even has a P-90 in it.

I have an old Tempo semi hollow body. I dont know anything about it. my father in law gave it to me, he said it sat in his closet for 30 years so I'm guessing 60's or 70's.

I have an Ibanez performance acoustic that has been around the world with me several times. I'm in the navy so I travel a little.

last month I gutted a first act strat. new overwound SC pickups, new trem bridge, new tuners, new nut. it screams now.

I have a bad habit of buying, selling, and trading guitars so next week my line up might be different. I've also got some projects in the works. I like to keep them in my TOP SECRET file though.

Mike

Robert
December 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Welcome, Mike!

What's the worst cheap guitar you have?

Ilovecheapguitars
December 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Welcome, Mike!

What's the worst cheap guitar you have?

right now I have a hamer slammer on the operating table that I got for real cheap. it was in real bad shape when I got it but I'm slowly nursing it back to health.

Tig
December 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Welcome to The Fret! You'll love this place...
With a name like Ilovecheapguitars, you should fit right in. Even the players who have nice ones also like some of their cheap ones. I dream of nice, expensive guitars, but being unemployed keeps them just dreams deferred (so does the wife!). Besides, I like tinkering and improving my toys, so that keeps me happy and with some cash left in the bank.

Ilovecheapguitars
December 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
it's not that I dont like the expensive ones. I'm in the navy with a wife and 2 kids. with that comes a mortgage, car payments and such. now I get what I can get.

Brian Krashpad
December 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Welcome Mike!

Go Navy!

oldguy
December 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Welcome Mike!

Geoffrey Charles
December 26th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Welcome!

duhvoodooman
December 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Welcome, Mike! Cheap guitars are great, as long as they don't play & sound cheap! I have several. Also a couple of better ones, but cheap guitars really fill out a collection! :AOK

mrmudcat
December 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
welcome

Commodore 64
December 28th, 2009, 09:45 AM
it's not that I dont like the expensive ones. I'm in the navy with a wife and 2 kids. with that comes a mortgage, car payments and such. now I get what I can get.

A man after my own heart! Except I'm not int he Navy, but my Dad was.

birv2
December 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Welcome Mike. I also love cheap guitars, and cheap gear.

You'll find this a fun place to hang out.

Bob