PDA

View Full Version : NGD - Hagstrom Ultra Swede

t_ross33
December 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Just got a call the other day that a band cancelled and the event organizers needed an opening act fast and we got the nod :dude Next Wednesday evening we will be opening for Canaidan Rock icons TROOPER (http://trooper.com/default.php)!!!! Just a 90min set, backline provided and good coin!! I can't believe it.

To celebrate (and because my wife couldn't find anything for my Christmas or birthday presents) I picked up a new Ulta Swede (http://www.hagstromguitars.com/Ultra_Swede.html) that I spied in the window of my local music store. It has a beautiful Gold Eagle Burst finish, great pearloid binding and sweet pearl inlays... I LOVE the look of this beauty. (Pics to follow)

Nice and light, with a belly-cut, so very comfortable to play. The neck radius is flatter and wider than what I have been used to (my Tele and Strat are 9.5) ...more LP-ish, but I'm finding it very easy to play. The sound is quite a bit brighter than an LP, and has almost acoustic qualities... kinda "chimey". The coil-tap switch and very responsive volume and tone controls combine for lots of tonal variations. Doesn't really "twang" like a Tele, or "cluck" like a Strat, but gets in the ballpark in it's own way.

Oh, and since I'm such a good customer, I'm getting a Hagstrom hardshell case thrown in the deal as well (about a $150 value).

Pictures will follow soon, and watch for a gig report!

Robert
December 24th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Awesome Trev, congrats!

Hagstrom make really great guitars, no matter what the model.

Congrats on that gig too! Our band opened up for Trooper in Camrose back in 2007.

MAXIFUNK
December 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Good luck on the gig!
A haggie is on my short gas list!

Tig
December 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Mmmmmm, Ultra Swede! Nice going!
That is on my short list for a LP type of guitar.

Can't wait to read about the gig...

Spudman
December 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
It's interesting that some of the Swedes have a 24.75 scale and others have a 25.5 scale. Enjoy your new guitar and the concert.

oldguy
December 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Congratulations, Trev, on the Hag and the gig!:applause

Geoffrey Charles
December 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Congrats!

sunvalleylaw
December 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Nice and Congrats!!!! but :worthless (I know they are coming buy I can be impatient.) Sounds like it will be great!

Brian Krashpad
December 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Congrats on the guitar and break a leg with the gig. Trooper used to be pretty big back in the day, I assume even moreso in Canadia than down heah.

And yes, pics.

PS-- by "coil tap," do you mean coil split? Many people use the terms interchangeably, but if the switch renders the HB's into single coils, it's a coil split. A coil tap reduces the number of windings used on a HB, but does not "split" one whole coil entirely out of the circuit.

t_ross33
December 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM
PS-- by "coil tap," do you mean coil split? Many people use the terms interchangeably, but if the switch renders the HB's into single coils, it's a coil split. A coil tap reduces the number of windings used on a HB, but does not "split" one whole coil entirely out of the circuit.

Yes, I believe the correct term would be "coil split"... "tap" was how I first heard it... old habits - lol!

And yes, Trooper was HUGE in Canada in the day, and still very popular on the classic/nostalgia rock circuit.

Commodore 64
December 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Please do not respond to this thread unless it is to post pics. :P

Brian Krashpad
December 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Yes, I believe the correct term would be "coil split"... "tap" was how I first heard it... old habits - lol!

And yes, Trooper was HUGE in Canada in the day, and still very popular on the classic/nostalgia rock circuit.

Ah, cool, thanks. Not trying to be the grammar police, just trying to keep things clear in my own mental (insert joke here) list of products/specs.

I figured that that was probably true of Trooper. I remember the name, but honestly that's about it. Funny how some bands are big in their home country but don't catch on elsewhere, even with a common language and/or geographical proximity.

Cheers.

Brian Krashpad
December 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Please do not respond to this thread unless it is to post pics. :P

Haha, I'm thinking that's Trevor's call.

t_ross33
December 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Haha, I'm thinking that's Trevor's call.

ha ha! Pics coming soon I promise... had to leave the new baby at home for a few days while enjoying some vacation time with the family. Have a "funny" story about the toboggan hill and almost dislocating my elbow just days before a big gig... but maybe will save that for another thread... :thwap

Don't worry, on the mend... all systems "Go"

t_ross33
January 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Don't really do it justice... might have to play around with my camera and lighting etc.... one day... maybe

I present to you, the Ultra Swede:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/DSCF2650.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/DSCF2641.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/DSCF2642.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/DSCF2647.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/DSCF2649.jpg

You may commence drooling :drool :dude

sunvalleylaw
January 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM
:drool :drool :drool

. . . ok, I will! So how are you liking it? Since I like my Viking so much, when I do go for a paul type someday, I will really consider it. Probably one with a trem bar on it too, so I can scratch my "Ol Black" itch.

MichaelE
January 12th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Man, that's purdy!

Really a beautiful guitar. :applause :applause :applause

t_ross33
January 12th, 2010, 11:10 PM
:drool :drool :drool

. . . ok, I will! So how are you liking it? Since I like my Viking so much, when I do go for a paul type someday, I will really consider it. Probably one with a trem bar on it too, so I can scratch my "Ol Black" itch.

I'm really enjoying it. Taking some gettin' used to as it is VERY bright and you have to work with it a bit to dial in the tone you are looking for. That said, this thing can cover a lot of territory if you take your time.

I think the "resonator" neck had a lot to do with it. Not sure how to describe it, but with a Tele, for instance, you get Twang but can still sense some wood there, the Ultra Swede pushes towards National Steel territory... well, maybe that's a stretch, but I hope it gets the idea across. Not that it's a bad thing... it certainly isn't... if I could really wail I'm sure solos would just *sing* on this guitar.

Now my only problem is deciding which 2 electrics are going to come with me to a gig :thwap I have a feeling I'll be mixing and matching a lot :happy

guitarhack
January 13th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Beautiful guitar! I think I feel a little GAS coming on.

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2010, 08:22 AM
EEZ NIZE!!!! :AOK :dude :applause

Tig
January 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM
You may commence drooling :drool :dude

Um... I might need a mop!
Very nice Ultra Swede, and interesting on how their new resonator fingerboard brightens the tone.