PDA

View Full Version : Can One Have Fun Playing Unaccompanied Bass?

Viking Power
December 24th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I'm thinking of switching to bass guitar due to my fret hand index finger disability. Can the bass be a "fun" instrument on its own or is it a band only piece of equipment?

Thanks for any input!

EDIT: I will probably keep my 6 string guitars, but I really want to work on an instrument that I have a real shot at getting good at. Holding open chords on the 6 string is killing me due to my screwed up finger. I've tried using my other 3 fingers but that doesn't seem to be an ideal fix either.......

marnold
December 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
First of all, I don't know that I'd give up on guitar entirely, but yes it can be fun to play bass stuff all by yourself. Obviously it's more fun in a group setting, especially with a drummer you have a good rapport with.

Spudman
December 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Think about this and see if it answers your question
9X1fhVLVF_4

Viking Power
December 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Think about this and see if it answers your question
9X1fhVLVF_4

This probably just speaks to my level of music inability, but I can't figure out if that video was supposed to be encouraging or intimidating......:thwap

ibanezjunkie
December 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM
i have fun playing unaccompanied bass in the guitar store. playing with FX on bass is twice as satisfying as playing with FX on guitar.

Lakland bass -> digitech synth wah -> markbass mini mark

funfunfun.

pes_laul
December 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I used to kinda look down on bass but ever since I really got into it and starting playing in the school jazz band and learning more about it it has become agreat instrument.

Ilovecheapguitars
December 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I've got a buddy who is an awesome bass player. he says bassists will use a looper to lay a regular bass line then solo over it. not so new for a guitarist but he says it's kind of a new trend for bassists.

NWBasser
December 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Have a good drummer or at least a drum machine makes it much more enjoyable. IMO, a good drum machine is great tool to use for bass playing.

That said, I can while away an afternoon making up grooving lines without accompaniment. You're really only limited by your imagination.

Funny thing, my hands get tired and cramped after an hour of guitar playing, but I can go all day on a bass. It seems the wide fret spacing works well for my hands.

NWBasser
December 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I used to kinda look down on bass but ever since I really got into it and starting playing in the school jazz band and learning more about it it has become agreat instrument.

Why did you ever look down on bass?

Commodore 64
December 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM
'Cuz bass players are weird, duh!

GreenAsJade
December 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
http://www.material.myzen.co.uk/SingleBass/SBalbum.htm

--
Guitar Lesson Guide (http://guitars.greenasjade.net)

Auriemma
December 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I play 6, 12, and 4 (bass) stringers. And yes it can be fun. Hell, look at John Entwhistle, Sting, and Geddy Lee. They look(ed) like they enjoy playing the bass.

NWBasser
December 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I play 6, 12, and 4 (bass) stringers. And yes it can be fun. Hell, look at John Entwhistle, Sting, and Geddy Lee. They look(ed) like they enjoy playing the bass.

Now there's a list that could go on ad infinitum.:dude

NWBasser
December 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
'Cuz bass players are weird, duh!

Very true and well, but I think he was referring to the bass itself.:cool:

guitartango
December 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I've got a buddy who is an awesome bass player. he says bassists will use a looper to lay a regular bass line then solo over it. not so new for a guitarist but he says it's kind of a new trend for bassists.

Simple Minds did this 20+ yrs ago (on the waterfront). Still sounds good

NWBasser
December 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I'm thinking of switching to bass guitar due to my fret hand index finger disability. Can the bass be a "fun" instrument on its own or is it a band only piece of equipment?

Thanks for any input!

EDIT: I will probably keep my 6 string guitars, but I really want to work on an instrument that I have a real shot at getting good at. Holding open chords on the 6 string is killing me due to my screwed up finger. I've tried using my other 3 fingers but that doesn't seem to be an ideal fix either.......

Hey, I just realized that you're in Seattle, Viking!

Right across the lake from me.

Maybe we could get together and jam a bit. I could show you some interesting bass bits and you could probably show me some good guitar parts.

I also have a sizable collection of interesting bass-oriented music that you could listen to for ideas.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

pes_laul
December 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Because I was a young(er) hot shot guitar player and never really paid any attention to it. But now I play bass just as much as guitar.

Viking Power
December 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
So the last couple of nights I've jammed on my electric guitar a little bit and well.....I enjoyed it. The problem is, belting out Black Sabbath's Paranoid or The White Stripes Seven Nation Army using power chords and a lot of distortion does not take a lot of skill and I don't want to be just a "power chord guy". If I'm going to really learn an instrument, I want to REALLY learn the instrument. Know what I mean?

For what it's worth, I did fool around with bass guitar for a number of years previously. I kind of enjoyed it, but I was young and dumb and didn't realize that I really ought to learn where the notes are and what the theory was. Nor did I practice with a drum machine or anything. So, basically, I knew a few basic bass lines to songs I liked and other than that I just invented stuff that sounded kind of cool to me.

Uggh.........so yeah, what is a guy to do? Seems like, if I stick to 6 string guitar, I may never be much for playing around the campfire since my abilities with the open chords may never really be smooth or fast. If I switch to bass, will I just be bored? I've thought about going lefty as well. But, dammit, who wants to start all over?!:help

EDIT: I am still perusing some of your posts that had links, etc. Don't think I haven't paid attention!

Commodore 64
December 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Get an acoustic to learn chords on for campfire playing. If you are managing power chords with an index finger disability, you can probably achieve all you want with continued practice.

sumitomo
December 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Don't give up the guitar.Sumi:D:poke :dude Sorry it didn't post.anyway it's good you want to learn bass also but dont give up on guitar,I'll bet if you look back and see how far that you have come it will amaze you.The vid I was going to post was one of Greg Irwin,he has finger fitness excerises and they are great so have a look.I know that what you think is a weakness is really one of your strong points.Sumi:D:AOK

FrankenFretter
December 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
As a guitar player, it is kind of fun to pick up one of those four-string logs once in a while. A nice change of pace. It's also nice to be able to show your bass player what you want him to play by picking up a bass and showing him, rather than just trying to get him to follow you. Or so I hear, anyway.

Viking Power
December 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Don't give up the guitar.BRF4EICO2GOSumi:D:poke :dude

Your vid isn't playing.

NWBasser
December 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Doh!

I just realized that there isn't a PM function here.

Viking, you can e-mail me at casscade30@yahoo.com if you want to get together to do some jamming. I have a decent bass collection if you want to try them out.

NWBasser
December 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
As a guitar player, it is kind of fun to pick up one of those four-string logs once in a while. A nice change of pace. It's also nice to be able to show your bass player what you want him to play by picking up a bass and showing him, rather than just trying to get him to follow you. Or so I hear, anyway.

"Log" ???:what

I'll not brook such condescension!