PDA

View Full Version : What Strings...

t_ross33
September 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM
...do you like to use for your acoustic guitar(s).

I really like D'addario EXP16's on my Yamaha, which has a "bigger", mellower, darker tone. It really brightens up the sound and adds some nice clarity and definition without losing the fullness of the tone.

I'm finding that they sound a bit "chimey" on my new Washburn, though. That may be a good thing as I DI to the board and a thinner acoustic sound likely sits better in the mix along with bass/drums/keyboards.

I'm used to buying whatever is on sale and haven't needed to give it much thought before. Now I'm wondering if anyone out there makes an effort to match their strings to their guitar, much in the same way you might choose a certain pickup to go with certain bodies/wood etc.

What are you experts doing?

Carlström
September 14th, 2006, 02:30 AM
I use GHS Vintage Bronze, I've tried the rest of the common stuff avalible and these are the ones i've liked the best. But strings are such a personal preference.

Leonidas
September 14th, 2006, 12:29 PM
For the longest time I used Martin M140's (light) on my Epiphone acoustic. More recently I switched to Martin M150's (medium) and they gave me a little warmer sound. I think I like the mediums more, but thats just the gauge change really. I like Martins, but I don't really remember what anything else feels like. :D The last set of strings I bought were D'Addario phosphor bronze medium, but I haven't used them yet.

My crafter came with D'Addario EXP's and I love them, but I haven't tried any other kind of strings on that guitar yet. The EXP's seem to last forever. (I think they are a bit pricier? never bought em..)

I agree, though, that strings are a personal preference more than anything.

Tone2TheBone
September 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I have a set of Elixirs on one of my acoustics and like them. I like bright sounding guitars to go with deep lows so these work well for me.

Plank_Spanker
October 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Elixir Nanowebs on my Taylor 12 string; Martin SP's on my Adamas.

Earful
February 27th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Just replaced the stock Martin's on my Jay Turser with D'Addario phosphor bronze lights. The instrument is already pretty bright for a full size acoustic, these strings brought out the warmer brightness to the tone. Now if I could just learn how to play the thing......

Danzego
February 28th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Right now, I'm using Guild Phosphor Bronze strings, mainly because someone I knew who worked at a train yard found a box that fell off a train and that's what was in there.....so, obviously, he gave them to me (along with a set of Fender Strat pickups, I think they were either Lace Sensors or Texas Specials, but those seem to have gotten misplaced in the move from Chicago to Oregon a few years back. Major bummer. :mad: )

Whatever I end up using after I go through the last few sets I have left, either way they'll be a very light set. Right before the Guild's, I was using .013's and they wreaked havok on my wrists and forearms. I went to the Guild strings, which are only like a .010 or .011 and all is well. I dunno....it's not like the action on my Takamine is even all that high. I guess I just have girlie arms or something. :rolleyes:

Spudman
February 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Right now, I'm using Guild Phosphor Bronze strings, mainly because someone I knew who worked at a train yard found a box that fell off a train and that's what was in there.....so, :rolleyes:

Funny, that's how I got my TV, stereo, and my 62 Strat...they all just happened to fall off the train.:D lol At least that's what my cousin said.;)

Ro3b
March 1st, 2007, 09:01 AM
D'Addario Phosphor Bronze medium gauge. I like phosphor bronze strings in general, and D'Addario is one of the few brands that doesn't turn my fingers green. Plus I like the minimal packaging.

Big_Rob
March 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Martin 80/20 ultra lights for my Backpacker and Martin SP custom lights for my Fender