PDA

View Full Version : My RC2 looper trial run

aeolian
December 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Like I mentioned in another thread I bought a used Boss RC2 looper a few weeks ago. I played with it for about a half an hour the day I got it, but it wasn't until yesterday that I sat down and played with it more. The following is recorded with built-in drum pattern, a guitar, and a DVM MK2 pedal. The actual sound is through my old J-Station. I started out with a drum pattern and a progression, but lack of experience setting volume with the pedal resulted in the progression kind of lost in the background in the end. Over the progression there are 2 layers of guitar melody. During the last 3 seconds or so you can hear the loop starting over at the beginning again.

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/prog1.mp3

Spudman
December 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
The real secret with these is what you hear is what gets recorded. Volume and touch are critical. Once you get down how loud you want your layers you can then very your attack or volume input level. It seems to always be a struggle to get levels right but the more you do it and think about it the easier it gets and more consistent you will become.

aeolian
December 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
The real secret with these is what you hear is what gets recorded. Volume and touch are critical. Once you get down how loud you want your layers you can then very your attack or volume input level. It seems to always be a struggle to get levels right but the more you do it and think about it the easier it gets and more consistent you will become.

Having now played with the RC2 for about an hour or so and listening back to what I recorded I've concluded that the looper is NOT a substitute for a recorder. Now I see little point in recording additional layers over the basic progression, but it is a great tool to practice over a progression like its meant to be used.

Spudman
December 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
You are just getting started. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet. I've had several notions dashed to pieces since I got mine.

Commodore 64
December 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I drilled a hole in my finger yesterday, while working in my kitchen. On my fretting hand. So I haven't been able to play with my new looper (RC20xl) too much either. :(

oldguy
December 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I drilled a hole in my finger yesterday, while working in my kitchen. On my fretting hand. So I haven't been able to play with my new looper (RC20xl) too much either. :(

OUCH! Dang, dude. I hope it was a small drill bit.
Get well mojo sent your way. Heal fast, play hard.

oldguy
December 26th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Having now played with the RC2 for about an hour or so and listening back to what I recorded I've concluded that the looper is NOT a substitute for a recorder. Now I see little point in recording additional layers over the basic progression, but it is a great tool to practice over a progression like its meant to be used.

aeolian...........keep practicing with it. A looper can be crazy good for recording. You just need to get used to it, like Spud said.
When you get your levels figured out, and your timing in layering loops, you'll be a one man band.

Commodore 64
December 26th, 2009, 07:33 AM
OUCH! Dang, dude. I hope it was a small drill bit.
Get well mojo sent your way. Heal fast, play hard.

Heh. It was a very small drill bit. Pilot holes for finishing nails (I used cherry wood, very hard).