PDA

View Full Version : Pedals?

Soulstress
December 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Ok. I understand the need for the amp. Can anyone tell me roughly (because I'm sure there is some science) about pedals?

1. Purpose?

2. Necessary to have to play?

3. What are the benefits of having them vs if you dont?

Kodiak3D
December 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM
While I'm certianly no expert, I'll try to give you some answers.

1. Pedals give you an amazing range of different sounds you can make versus just clean or overdriven sounds from your amp. (Some amps can model the use of certain pedals.) An effect pedal alters the signal before it gets to the amp. The range of pedals available is truly impressive.

2. They are not necessary at all. They just give you a broader range of sound.

3. The benefit of any and all pedals is simply the ability to create different sounds.

I suggest this link to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_pedal) for more information. It really helps to explain what different effects are and how they work.

birv2
December 28th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Now you're opening a major can of worms. I only say that because most of us are afflicted with pedal-related GAS. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Basically, pedals are used to add tonal spice or even totally change the sound of the guitar/amp combination. The most common ones are overdrive or distortion pedals (sometimes referred to as "dirt" pedals). Most people can get a nice clean (not distorted or overdriven) sound from their amp, but they like varying degrees of "dirt" and get that from pedals.

Then there's reverb, delay, flanger, vibe, tremolo, compression... but I'll leave these to some of our other Fretters.

But in your situation, I wouldn't worry too much about pedals just yet. Plenty of time for that later!

Bob

phoenix_p0
December 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with the guys above for the most part - certainly no need, but definitely a lot of fun and can help to establish a unique tone for you once you become fairly proficient...

With regards to birv2's last comment about not worrying 'til later, I think that if you were to get one, it can add a little fun even while still learning - something to play with in between scale slogging or whatever.

Just my thoughts - check out the Danelectro mini range, great bang for buck.

Tig
December 28th, 2009, 04:28 PM
This is a huge topic, but I'll keep it simple, because I'm a simpleton! :thwap

Pedals are great, but until you know what you like, they can be expensive. You can get some basic Danelectro FAB pedals for about $30, while most pedals run over $100, and some are close to $300. I'd suggest that you focus on your learning, a good modeling amp, and a guitar before you do the pedal thang.

For new guitarists, I'd suggest a modeling amp that has many pedal effects built in. Most modeling amp's have several amplifier "models", as in, they reproduce or mimic certain classic and modern amp's, like the tones you hear from some Marshall, Fender, VOX, Peavey, Mesa amp's, etc. These modeling amplifiers also mimic many of the different pedals and rack effects (big subject here). The choices of modeling amps are many, and the good news is that most are between $100 and $300, depending on wattage, manufacturer, etc.

I'd suggest something at or below 15 watts for home use. 15 watts can get plenty loud! Most of these are solid state and some have digital processors. I believe you mentioned a Micro Cube, which has a surprising amount of effects and amp models. You could do worse for the price!

Be sure to try a few competitors in the same price range before you buy. Go to the $200 level and you'll get a much better selection, like the VOX Valvetronix VT15. Hind sight being 20-20, I wish I'd have gone with it over the $100 Peavey Vypyr 15 I bought last year.

Robert
December 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I wrote up something on my blog about what guitar pedal to get (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/what-guitar-pedal.php).

vroomery
December 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Pedals are definitely not a necessity, especially if you are in the beginners stage. One you get a little bit of playing under your belt, they become really fun and can give you that sound that you've always wanted.

It should also be noted that pedals can only work with the basic tonal palate that you already have. If you don't like the sound of your amp without pedals, you probably won't like it with pedals. You'll spend tons of money and time trying to tweak your pedals to make the amp sound better when it just can't be done. A good basic tube amp is a great start for using pedals.

A few basics about different types of pedals and what they do.

Distortion/Overdrive - These two terms are sometimes used to describe the same sound but the are definitely different. An overdrive is designed to copy the sound that is produce from turning a tube amp up and "overdriving" the tubes. A good overdrive pedal will clean up at lower volumes and become dirtier at higher volumes. A distortion is typically designed to have dirt at any volume level. This is not a set in stone definition, but this is basically how they differ.

Delay - A delay pedal is designed to perform some sort of repeating function or echo. Sometimes they are set to have few repeats and quick decay which sounds similar to reverb. Sometimes they are set to have a specific rhythmic repeat (dotted 1/8th is a popular repeat time) to create a cool effect. This would involve a longer decay time and more repeats typically. The possibilities are really endless with delay pedals.

Reverb - As I mentioned above, reverb and delay are similar sometimes. Reverb is basically what it sounds like when you talk in a room that is all stone or concrete. There are varying adjustments and effects that can be produced from a reverb pedal, but it is most commonly used to add a little life to the sound of a guitar.

There are many other types of pedals that I'll describe briefly. Nothing I say, however, will do you better than your own research.

Fuzz - Over saturated distortion
Octave - Doubles the signal at another octave
Wah - Allows you to change the tone
Tremelo - Pulses volume at a determined speed and depth
Tuner - Very undervalued. Tone is worthless unless you're tuned

Commodore 64
December 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I think the most inportant pedal, for someone playing/practicing alone is a looper pedal:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-RC-2-Loop-Station-Stomp-Box-103999546-i1169245.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-RC-20XL-Loop-Station-102805926-i1124491.gc

Soulstress
December 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You guys give me everything I ask for and more. Just a plethora of information here that I can refer back to later. Thanks. :)

Spudman
December 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
When I first started playing I had a Fender Fuzz Wah pedal. Then I got a Dyna comp. One night after a gig (I was 17) I was having dinner with some other musicians and they said that pedals were unnecessary. Huh?! Since they were older I thought they must know something that I don't so I quit using pedals.

I went a couple of years only using a Tube Screamer with my Marshall. Then I went on the road. I incorporated the Dyna Comp back in and a new Crybaby wah and a chorus and delay pedal. All of a sudden I was considerably more multidimensional than I was before. I had created my own voice using this simple array of pedals and it also allowed me to get closer to replicating the guitar sounds in all the cover tunes I was doing.

Now days pedals are just the paint that I use on my canvas. They are the colors that define how I express myself. They do not take the place of what I am saying with the notes that I play. Instead they are just the voice I use to say it. Sometimes they are on sometimes off. I can say "hello" in my own voice, in Megan Fox's voice, in Rodney Dangerfield's voice or Jessica Rabbit's. That's what pedals do for me - allow me to change my voice.

Ilovecheapguitars
December 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
When I first started playing I had a Fender Fuzz Wah pedal. Then I got a Dyna comp. One night after a gig (I was 17) I was having dinner with some other musicians and they said that pedals were unnecessary. Huh?! Since they were older I thought they must know something that I don't so I quit using pedals.

I went a couple of years only using a Tube Screamer with my Marshall. Then I went on the road. I incorporated the Dyna Comp back in and a new Crybaby wah and a chorus and delay pedal. All of a sudden I was considerably more multidimensional than I was before. I had created my own voice using this simple array of pedals and it also allowed me to get closer to replicating the guitar sounds in all the cover tunes I was doing.

Now days pedals are just the paint that I use on my canvas. They are the colors that define how I express myself. They do not take the place of what I am saying with the notes that I play. Instead they are just the voice I use to say it. Sometimes they are on sometimes off. I can say "hello" in my own voice, in Megan Fox's voice, in Rodney Dangerfield's voice or Jessica Rabbit's. That's what pedals do for me - allow me to change my voice.

well said....I would kinda like to hear you mimic Jessica Rabbit :what

Commodore 64
December 29th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Couple Examples:

If you were playing blues, and had a low wattage simple tube amp (Blackheart Little Giant, Vox AC4TV, Epiphone Valve Jr), you might want a blues distortion pedal to get some different tones at lower volumes. Or you might want a reverb pedal since those amps don't have reverb.

The looper pedals are nice, because they allow you to get a quick read on how you are playing. I have no other way to record myself...so laying down a few bars on the looper serves 2 purposes: 1. I can hear how badly I play/keep time and 2. Gives me something to play over. You can lay down a 12 bar blues chord progression, and then hit play and it will loop over and over until you get tired of trying to practice Robert's 3-note solo technique.

If you go with a Roland Cube, you'll not likely need overdrive/reverb pedals since the amp can do a lot of effects for you. These will be good enough for quite a while, as you learn. Wah pedals sound super cool, except I have enough trouble trying to manage my right and left hands without adding a right or left foot into the deal. Maybe some day, I'll level-up to the point where I can do cool things with a Wah. It's one of my goals.

guitartango
December 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Just buy three pedals: Overdrive, Wah and Delay. You cant go wrong at all.

piebaldpython
December 31st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Lots of good ideas for you SoulStress from the others. For the blues you like, try a $50 Digitech Bad Monkey that will deliciously augment your sound.

wingsdad
December 31st, 2009, 11:28 PM
No, pedals are not necessary, especially for the genre of blues you favor at the onset of your journey.

Here, you'll get maybe 20 different recommendations for a distortion or overdrive pedal alone. Everyone has their favorite.

I can't recall BB using distortion or overdrive. Just awesome finger vibrato on a clean semi-hollow.

As for the tube amp suggestions, which have nothing to do with your topic of pedals, for a beginner like you, IMHO, a tube amp is a loud, limited, expensive and high maintenance pain in the a**. An unecessary tool.

A decent solid state amp can pack a lot more sonic and tonic sampling bang for the buck.

Solid state amps offer you loads of options at a relatively low cost, with built-in reverb (a minimum necessity, IMO) and a headphone jack for private quiet, uninhibited practice.

Tube amps are great. Once you know what you want and understand how to maintain them. If you don't, they're a money pit.

Until then, plug n' play is more practical.

KISS. And play.

GAS will come later.

oldguy
January 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM
No, pedals are not necessary, especially for the genre of blues you favor at the onset of your journey.

Here, you'll get maybe 20 different recommendations for a distortion or overdrive pedal alone. Everyone has their favorite.

I can't recall BB using distortion or overdrive.

KISS. And play.
GAS will come later.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS I agree with. Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about.

markb
January 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM

I can't recall BB using distortion or overdrive. Just awesome finger vibrato on a clean semi-hollow.

As for the tube amp suggestions, which have nothing to do with your topic of pedals, for a beginner like you, IMHO, a tube amp is a loud, limited, expensive and high maintenance pain in the a**. An unecessary tool.

A decent solid state amp can pack a lot more sonic and tonic sampling bang for the buck.

Solid state amps offer you loads of options at a relatively low cost, with built-in reverb (a minimum necessity, IMO) and a headphone jack for private quiet, uninhibited practice.

Tube amps are great. Once you know what you want and understand how to maintain them. If you don't, they're a money pit.

Until then, plug n' play is more practical.

KISS. And play.

GAS will come later.

:applause :applause :applause :applause

slow&alive
January 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hi Soulstress,

Get a Roland Micro Cube. It costs less than most pedals and it's the best practice amp you will ever find (especially for starting out).

Don't get any of the other Roland amps...the Micro Cube is in a class by itself. I don't know what Roland did, but they broke the mold on this one.

Check out what others say (and don't believe the overall sound score of 8.7; for a practice amp it is a 10 if there ever was a 10); you can actually get pick dynamics like a tube amp, all its amp models are great, and you get great effects as well (reverb, delay, tremelo, phaser, flange, chrorus): http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Roland/MicroCube+Combo/10/1

I got mine off ebay for $99 on a special, but the regular price is still a bargain. I don't work for Roland but I absolutely love my Cube. I wish they had this when I first started playing.

Buy it. You will love it cause it makes you want to play and play! :)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

PS I have many pedals and value each one...but my Micro Cube is my best "pedal" of all! Though it can get extremely loud (no, you can't gig with it...it's a practice amp), it plays the best sounding bedroom levels you will ever hear. :AOK

Robert
January 1st, 2010, 10:40 PM
I second the Micro Cube. Great little baastad. ;)