PDA

View Full Version : 1960?

yeti66
December 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hello All and Happy New Year, Recently on a show on the history chanel (pawnstars) a guy who said he used to tour with bands such as triumph and others was trying to pawn a (what he thought was a 1960) les paul, he wanted $25000 for it!:what the guitar was quite used (still beautiful) and he did'nt claim any famous attachments to it, so being that I'm not a guitar expert, even close! why such a heafty asking price? was 1960 special, and if so why?

Commodore 64
December 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I saw that episode. I love that show. I think the reason those old ones are worth so much, is that they are so rare.

evenkeel
December 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM
$25,000 for a '60 Les Paul might well be a bargain. The Holy Grail of LP's is a '59/60 Les Paul Standard, sunburst. Got one of those in the closet in mint shape, with lots of flame maple and you are looking at a cool $350,000 US. A '59/60 LP Custom has a book of $100,000 +/-.

What makes 'em worth that much??? Because people are willing to pay.

duhvoodooman
December 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
What makes 'em worth that much??? Because people are willing to pay.
Specifically, rich collectors and famous musicians. The rest of us just drool over the photos....

just strum
December 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Specifically, rich collectors and famous musicians. The rest of us just drool over the photos....

Or are practical and think that it is outrageous.

g6120
December 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Ive got one of Gibsons sunburst Les Paul guitars its a 1960 and its the o.s. reissue and its the best Les Paul Ive played and Ive played mine side by side with some of the historics and in my opinion it sounded better .

Went to a store which had about 5 or 6 of the historics just about all different finishes and went with a open mind if there was going to be one that sounded better than mine it was coming along with me home but it was not to be so Im sticking with what Ive got .

They all sounded fine looked great yes but I just prefer the one here .

ZMAN
December 29th, 2009, 07:46 AM
This might be why they command such high prices.
"Ironically the Les Pauls of the late 1950s were not really all that popular at the time. Gibson only made about 1700 Sunburst Les Paul between 1958 and 1960. The reason for this was the humbucking pickups and solid mahagony body with maple top produced lots of sustain and a mellow tone. This was good for jazz player, except jazz player tended to use archtop electric/acoustics, not solid body guitars. Yet the Les Paul's smaller and solid body might have appeal to rock and roll players, except the rock and roll guitar sound (and country sound) of the 1950s was brighter (for which a Fender Strat or Tele would be better). So the Les Paul Sunburst had few fans during the 1950s. It wasn't until the British blues/rock invasion of the mid/late 1960s that suddenly the Les Paul became popular."
From a fairly interesting article. Some good pictures as well.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/lpsun.html

Ilovecheapguitars
December 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
good read ZMAN. nice pics too.

when it comes to guitars, and really anything considered collectible, its hard to actually put a price tag on them. it's really worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I see rusty old 73-87 chevy trucks for sale all the time for 3 and 4k, sometimes with no engine because they are a poular body style even today. don't get me wrong, I like the body style, but I bought a 79 ford F100 with a 351 and straight body for $500. I remember in the early 90's when a Griffey jr. card would run you 70, 80, and 90 bux. now that same card can be bought for 15. it's the nature of the beast.

ZMAN
December 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I agree with you on that one, and I really think, like the collector car market, this economic downturn has affected prices as well. There are still those out there who have lots of disposable income and always wanted a Les Paul, so why not a really rare one!
I am a member over at the Les Paul forum so I have a feel for the real purists who would give a kidney for a real 58, 59 or 60.

Plank_Spanker
December 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM
A friend of mine (an "older" session guy who's been on a ton of albums and wishes to remain anonymous) has an all original '58 Les Paul that he bought new in '58 and is still in great shape. It has been appraised at $165,000. He laughs at that saying that it has been one of his working guitars since '58 and he still uses it when he needs it.

I make a point to play it every time I visit him. :dude

Prices like that make sense only to collectors.

mrmudcat
December 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
remember that episode it was a mid 70's and only appraised at $3000(the guy kept it)

Soulstress
December 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Or are practical and think that it is outrageous.

AMEN.