PDA

View Full Version : Theory...now or later

Soulstress
December 29th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Is it best to learn theory from the very start or just get use to the feel of the guitar and play off tabs for awhile?

I do not have intentions of joining a band. I'll probably only play alongside the husband when he learns bass.

GreenAsJade
December 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM
You should definitely learn _basic_ theory.

What are the names of the notes? How many notes in an octave? What is a semitone? What is a tone? How many semitones between C & D? How many between E & F? What does C sharp mean? What does C flat mean?

If you can answer those, you are OK for starters.

IMHO

GaJ

--
The Guitar Lesson Guide (http://guitars.greenasjade.net/products)

Robert
December 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Learn theory if you want to. I certainly recommend it, because you will understand better what music really is. It can also help in learning an instrument, and to compose music.

ZMAN
December 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Since you are a beginner, I would learn basic theory. I have gone through your journey over the last 5 years. I started with minimal theory and just worked on getting some dexterity with my fingers. How to hold notes and chords. Practice all the scales. Learn them and be able to name them, then play them. Lean to bend notes and play with your guitar to get different tones. I started with fairly easy tablature, and learned a couple of songs
Where I had the most fun was buying "recorded version" tablature of some of my favourite blues artists. I would take the corresponding CD put it in my cd player with a remote, and play the passage and learn the tab rewind and try again. Pick a fairly easy song and work your way through it. It will be slow at first then it will slowly get better and better.
I am now ready for more formal training. I feel comforable with the guitar and have fairly good technique, I just need to move further.
I found this way of learning much more fun. I see a lot of people get frustrated with lessons and quit.
A well set up guitar will make things a lot easier as well.

MichaelE
December 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Playing music without knowing at least basic theory is like trying to work algebra problems without knowing the formulas.

That might not be the best analogy, but it's the only one I could think of.

Learn at least the Circle of Fifths and you'll be well on your way. You don;t need to learn composition, but a little understanding of theory will go a long way in why music is written the way it is.

Commodore 64
December 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I have looked at the Circle of Fifths dozens of times. I've read explanations on forums. I still just cannot make sense of it.

MichaelE
December 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Get what I call a 'wiz wheel' with the Circle of Fifths. When you rotate it, it gives you the major chords and their relative minors in that key.

It helps to remember it.

I had theory & comp in college and I understand it, but I can't teach it.

jpfeifer
December 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
People seem to think of music theory as this mysterious thing that may help you play better.

Music Theory is really just the explanations of how music works (not just guitar music, but music in general). You might accidentally figure out many of the same concepts that you would learn with some knowledge of theory, but a knowledge of theory will help you get there faster. Think of it kind of like this: If you were a painter you might want to first have some understanding of various colors, shading techniques, etc, and how to use them in ways that work well together. Music Theory is kind of like this. It helps you to make sense of how music is structured (scales, chords, chord progressions, etc) so that you can make sense of it all.

Can you still play great guitar without knowing much about Music Theory? Sure. But learning some theory will help you to have a better understanding of what you're doing. It also helps you to understand what other players are doing. For example, if you take the time to learn music from some of your favorite players, your knowledge of theory can help you to unlock some of structure behind their playing so that you can re-apply the same ideas to your own style. In this way, Music Theory can help you to learn things faster by having a better understanding of how it is all put together. For example, rather than just learning that same old Hendrix lick, you can understand where the lick came from musically (what scale it came from, which chord tones Hendrix was using, etc) , and then re-apply the same concept to something new of your own.

If you write songs, theory can help you to find ways to put together various things (chords, scales, etc) so that they sound good.

So, my advice is "don't be afraid of theory". Learn as much as you can, as you learn guitar. But don't let it stop you from your persuit of guitar playing in general. Just use it as a tool to better understand the music that you make. It can help you in a lot of ways.

--Jim

oldguy
December 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I agree with the theory that basic theory knowledge is helpful.
Beginners and pros can benefit from it.

Having said that........ I am a firm believer that nothing will help you learn guitar more than picking it up and playing it. Period. :)

You can't be a good cook unless you get in the kitchen and do it.
All the best recipes in the world won't help until you know your way around the spice rack and stove. What works, what doesn't, and what you do and don't like.

You know you like blues.:AOK
Learn the chords and licks to your favorite songs and play them. Ask all the questions you can and get all the answers you can. But for now pick that thing up and play it. There'll be plenty of time for analyzing it constantly later. Right now you want to make music!:R Right? :)

(If you stick with it, you will eventually hit a plateau, and need a push to get going again, but you're not at that stage yet. )

My advice, if you want to learn to play the guitar, is play the guitar all you can, and play what you want to learn, not what everyone else says you should learn.

Robert
December 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Just to add - if you hear someone say something like "you can't play real blues if have learned music theory", tell them to stick something up where the sun don't shine! :D I've heard such comments over the years, and it's complete rubbish.

oldguy
December 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Absolutely! The more educated guitarists, who really understand theory, have a definite edge, and can usually play most any style quite well.
The nice thing about guitar, tho, is anyone can enjoy playing if they just work at it.......kinda like the saying.......... just do it!:happy

Soulstress
December 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Many of you are saying the same thing in your own words and I get it. Know the basics and the rest will follow. I'm up for the challenge.
I'm edjumucated ya know! :help :happy

pes_laul
December 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
When I first started playing guitar I never learned about music theory (or really cared)

But when I started playing in the jazz band, and singing in choir I had to learn some of stuff and now it's really helped me be a better musician because I can relate to other instruments.

Eric
December 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Is it best to learn theory from the very start or just get use to the feel of the guitar and play off tabs for awhile?

I do not have intentions of joining a band. I'll probably only play alongside the husband when he learns bass.
I'd echo what oldguy and Jim said. In my experience, playing the guitar will help you learn guitar. Eventually, you may notice patterns or wonder why something works the way it does -- that's usually the sign that a touch of theory wouldn't kill you.

If you keep guitar playing at the center and pick up what theory you can along the way, that's my recommendation.

sumitomo
December 29th, 2009, 09:44 PM
:poke Make some Noise!!!!:happy :dude :applause :cool: Sumi:D

piebaldpython
December 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM
+1 on what oldguy said about picking the guitar up and playing the blues that you love.

Personally, I find it best to DO something and then delve in the "how and why" afterwards.

As to learning theory or the "reasons why"....I highly recommend going to www.justinguitar.com and going through his beginner's lessons and "playing blues lead guitar". Excellent stuff and he doesn't talk over your head either. After you get a good handle on his stuff......then get the initial BLUES YOU CAN USE CD/book and that will be all the theory that you'll ever need for blues playing.

We have lots of players here who are more than willing to help out determined student.

wingsdad
December 29th, 2009, 11:29 PM
:AOK

... You know you like blues.:AOK
Learn the chords and licks to your favorite songs and play them. Ask all the questions you can and get all the answers you can. But for now pick that thing up and play it. There'll be plenty of time for analyzing it constantly later. Right now you want to make music!:R Right? :)

(If you stick with it, you will eventually hit a plateau, and need a push to get going again, but you're not at that stage yet. )

My advice, if you want to learn to play the guitar, is play the guitar all you can, and play what you want to learn, not what everyone else says you should learn.

It's like you read my mind via the cosmos, og...

Soulstress....when you're just beginning, and want to have fun playing music you'd love to play, if you overthink it instead of just playing the guitar, you'll....

... quit.

oldguy
December 30th, 2009, 07:00 AM
:AOK

It's like you read my mind via the cosmos, og...

Soulstress....when you're just beginning, and want to have fun playing music you'd love to play, if you overthink it instead of just playing the guitar, you'll....

... quit.

Yep.
When I was starting out a friend taught me lots.
Each jam session we'd sit down, start to play, and he'd interrupt to explain music theory for an hour, then it was time to pack up and go home.
When I made it clear I wanted to learn riffs I'd heard him play and nothing else, my vocabulary expanded. Later I learned some theory.
I wanted to play guitar, period. I picked it up every spare minute I could. I practiced what I had learned, and I experimented and came up new stuff on my own. If I'd been taking lessons and trying to memorize things that were boring me to death, I'd more than likely have quit.

Eric
December 30th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Yep.
When I was starting out a friend taught me lots.
Each jam session we'd sit down, start to play, and he'd interrupt to explain music theory for an hour, then it was time to pack up and go home.
When I made it clear I wanted to learn riffs I'd heard him play and nothing else, my vocabulary expanded. Later I learned some theory.
I wanted to play guitar, period. I picked it up every spare minute I could. I practiced what I had learned, and I experimented and came up new stuff on my own. If I'd been taking lessons and trying to memorize things that were boring me to death, I'd more than likely have quit.
Yikes. That hits a little too close to home not to sting a little. I'll take your anecdote under advisement when teaching people in the future.

Funny, because at this point, that theory stuff is all I want to know. It's easy to forget that a lot of people have no interest in it at certain points.

Bilsdragon
December 30th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Soulstress, Like old guy said, keep that guitar in your hands and try things. Most of the time I use tab to songs I like and use audacity to play along as I learn the songs. The times I just play without tab or songs I like, I just play scales and listen to the sounds the guitar makes. I can find notes in different places just with my ears now. And since I've learned a lot of the major chords I can tell what some of the notes are. I am now ready to start the theory route. I feel comfortable with the instrument, I can play along with many songs I like, and I'm at the plateau that others have mentioned. I also try to watch videos of players I like and try to pick up parts of their style. Let the music pass through your soul and don't get discouraged, you will get better, I promise. :dude

player
December 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
My jump from classical piano to guitar was pretty simple except for all the other instruments played in between I never got good at.Did pick up theory when playing keyboards as it was required at the time,like OG I just wanted to play the things a pro was showing me and did although admittedly it might have been easier if I asked the same guy to teach me to read too.transposing theory from keyboards to guitar can be tough but is absolutely possible as is learning by ear which was the case here.fortunately I was blessed with a good one.still get stumped now and then but never ever entertained the idea of quitting < not an option open for discussion

kiteman
December 30th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Learning theory can be a blessing or a hindrance, up to you how you approach it. Theory can show you the basics but music comes from the ears. Listen as much as you can.

marnold
December 31st, 2009, 09:25 AM

Some basic music theory is important at the beginning, so for example if they tell you that the song is in A, you know what an "A" is. I find music theory interesting, at least once I found someone who could explain it to me well. Get familiar with the instrument first and then dive into some theory as you feel comfortable. If you keep asking yourself things like "Why does this work?" it's time to get into more theory.

FWIW, I learned theory from the Metal Method course. Once it finally clicked, it was like a whole new world had opened up to me.

slow&alive
January 2nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Hi Soulstress,

I've played keyboards, drums, and guitar professionally, and have studied music theory for years when I was young; I even majored in college in music theory for a time.

On your question about theory, I'd say just learn the basics -- what the chords are in a Major Key (they will either be major or minor chords) and slowly over time learn what the relationships of these chords in the key are to each other (e.g., start with: I, IV, V).

While doing this, continue to learn how to play basic chords as well as how to play the Blues Scale. This way, in a short time you should be able to play not only chords with songs but some lead as well.

Stay busy, balanced, and keep trying to get better. Theory has its place in guitar playing, but more importantly is learning the guitar is a lot of work, and all this work is play, and all playing is fun!

Let your ears be your guide and best of luck! :)

street music
January 2nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have been reading music theory since Christmas Day, I hadn't really studied it much till now. I need to understand more about it right now and so , I read a while and practice . I'm trying to teach the old dog something new.

tot_Ou_tard
January 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Theory now or later?

But of course.

Moander
June 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm an old guy too... been playing and teaching a long time...

I'd recommend, learning your chords, and playing some songs. Over time, you'll find you need to pick up some theory, as your progress will eventually stall....

Wait for that stall... until then, get the chords down, learn some songs, have some fun....the need for theory will come to you, no need to go to it....

omegadot
July 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I just actually picked up guitar after graduating college and getting a real with with all kinds of free time to boot (in the friggin Navy, go figure). I never liked the feeling of playing without know anything about where I was on the fretboard or knowing why anything worked. I picked up a few books, but my favorite is "Fretboard Logic SE" by Bill Edwards. It covers chords shapes, scale shapes and goes into modes and arpeggios in the second half. Basic stuff to start on if you are interested in that sort of content. The scale shapes and such were nice to supplant for a warm-up and the understand of the repeating patterns on the neck have made other aspects of theory make more sense to me since I can picture them.

I can definitely understand the desire to understand what goes on under the hood, so to speak. I have trouble operating without it.

GuitarAcademy
July 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have taught theory to literally hundreds of guitarists locally and around the world, and here is my answer.

Learn it later.

For now, just play the guitar, have fun with it, fall in love with it. Don't get tied and caught up in the details for now, just find what turns you on, and do that. If its a song, and you need help with it I'm sure many here would be happy to help you out.

But when you start its all about finding your fit with the instrument, getting basic motor and muscular skills down and learning simple stuff, and theres nothing wrong with that.

In the future when you have grown a little ways on the guitar and its musically relevant to you to learn theory then start at that time, the same I'd suggest for sheet music. Unless its something that you find personally meaningful today, that too can wait a while.

GA

stevec71
July 29th, 2010, 04:10 AM
In my opinion basic guitar theory (http://www.start-guitar.com)is essential when starting out but just as important is getting comfortable with playing and and getting your fingers moving.

As far as theory goes when starting out, just learn the basics, ie what all the chords are called........so if you someone says play Amin you know what to do.

I teach guitar for beginners (http://www.start-guitar.com)and for a newbie it can be at first mindblowing and too much to take in. Start off slow and don't overload yourself with too much info at once or it will end up seeming like an impossible task.

Remember that the best guitar player in the world could be the worse teacher so take it easy. Learn guitar chords (http://www.start-guitar.com), practice playing them but also know what you are playing.

Nothing frustrates me more when i'm teaching and the student has not done any homework, i can say to them after 4 lessons, play an Emaj and they dont know which chord it is but they do know how to play it. Learn the basic theory and progress slowly.

Good luck and keep practising:dude

hubberjub
July 29th, 2010, 06:57 AM
The basics for now. More later, should you choose. I was the product of two music teachers and I went on to be a music major in college for six years. Though theory is important for some things, there is no better way to turn off a potential musician than by inundating them with theory that they aren't ready for.

pinkspeeder
August 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM
any ideas as to a good place/materials to buy to learn music theory on your own..there are a million options out there..but has anyone ever bought anything online...books or courses....or paid for something online to learn that they can recommend to an older beginner?

piebaldpython
August 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Depends on the music you want to play........but if you like blues, the Blues You Can Use book is great for the start of theory and the subsequent Blues Chords (both my John Ganapes) book fills in with more theory.

Great books, understandable and good, solid teaching.

Robert
August 30th, 2010, 10:08 PM
What level of music theory do you want to learn?

For a good lesson on the I - IV - V concept, this product is quite good -
http://b86754p2rh0amb3fxbwx-vd20a.hop.clickbank.net - if you are newbie, you'll learn lots of practical and theoretical concepts from this.

Moander
September 10th, 2010, 04:23 AM
If you want to learn theory on your own, the best, single book I have found for this is this:

Scales and Modes in the Beginning
by Ron Middlebrook

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Scales-Modes-Beginning-Instructional-Middlebrook/dp/0898981514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284114082&sr=8-1

Long URL, I hope it parses well :)

$12.00 will give you all you need to know.

kiteman
September 12th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Hello Soulstress, how are you doing?

I know it's been a while but I hope we didn't scare you off.

otaypanky
September 12th, 2010, 08:32 AM
December will start my 49th year goofing around with guitar. Most folks think I play pretty well, but I couldn't tell you much about what I am playing or why. When it comes to theory I don't know Diddley. Well, Bo of course ~
Would I like to understand how and why things work musically? Yes, of course I would. And I can only imagine I would be a much more capable and versatile musician if I had that understanding.
But some things can't be taught. You need to have music in your heart.
And if you do, it will find a way to get out ;)

psylocke24
September 17th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Playing music without knowing at least basic theory is like trying to work algebra problems without knowing the formulas.

That might not be the best analogy, but it's the only one I could think of.

Learn at least the Circle of Fifths and you'll be well on your way. You don;t need to learn composition, but a little understanding of theory will go a long way in why music is written the way it is.

I like his explanation :applause , actually theory is the first thing that you should know to be able to follow the sounds of the guitar. Better have an online guitar lessons (http://takelessons.com/category/guitar-lessons) to know more.