PDA

View Full Version : Building my home studio

Robert
December 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
It's been a long time coming, but I finally have my own recording studio. I hired a local contractor to get it done to a reasonable cost. It is not a professional grade studio, since that would mean a complete sound proofing design (a room within a room), something I can not afford. However, I at least have my own room now, which I will fill with gear of course! I'll use it for music and video production. There will be some noise going through the ceiling to the room upstairs, but I am hoping it won't be that bad.

One thing I need to address is the echoing problem of naked walls. Any recommendations? I read a lot online yesterday, and many recommend making your own sound panels out of fiberglass board. Then there's foam solutions you can glue on the walls, hanging heavy blankets, etc. Any suggestions here?

Photos here - http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.renman/StudioRoom#

MichaelE
December 29th, 2009, 09:20 AM
You could use gobo's or cover the walls with Sonex or hang a few tapistries or rugs. You want to be able to control those reflections.

Also, are the walls parallel where you are building this room? If you can get an off angle on one or more walls it will help with standing waves at certain frequencies. You don't want the room to resonate.

phoenix_p0
December 29th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I have a DJ friend who used egg cartons... but I can't imagine that looks nice without some sort of covering over it... plus you'd have to eat a ton of eggs!

hubberjub
December 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
MichaelE's idea about the non-parallel walls is the way big studios deal with reflections. I don't know if that's possible for you or not. A lot of the companies that sell the studio foam will tell you how to best hang the foam if you send them a diagram of the room it's going in.

Robert
December 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
The walls are parallel but the ceiling is not complete flat. There's a box on it that had to be built because of some vent stuff.

I'm thinking about moving blankets. Wonder where I could get some of those here in Alberta?

Audimute seems like a nice inexpensive solution - http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/acoustic-blanket-sound-blanket-sound-proof-blanket.aspx
http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/audimute-sound-absorbtion-sound-absorption.aspx

the only problem is shipping to me is expensive. 4 sheets for 100 bucks and then shipping is $66.58 and Duties and Taxes $51.30! :eek: crazy!

M29
December 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
You could look for some cheap comforters and hang them along the walls. May hang them about 2 inches or so out from the wall. Once you have something to hang it might be best to experiment and try them at different places around the room. After a while you will get a feel for what works best.

Right now I think a cheap way to experiment is best and thick comforters or moving blankets like you say would work well.

IMHO of course. :socool

Spudman
December 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Good ideas from everyone. How about a couch and some carpet? Those change the nature of reflecting waves quite a bit.

Each room is going to have it's own issues or sound so you are probably going to have to address that as you discover what the issues are. A few sound foam panels strategically placed can do wonders.

Just remember that this is YOUR room and you can tailor the sound any way you like. It doesn't have to be completely dead. You just have to get to know it and what you can expect from it and what you can change to make it exactly to your liking. It wont take much. Move things around and experiment. An amph might sound better recorded in a different location in the room. Your monitors and desk could benefit from being in the center of the room, or diagonally in a corner. Who knows? Experiment, walk around the room and clap your hands and think about what you are hearing at that moment.

Robert
December 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
One other problem is the ceiling. The sound transfers very easily between the kitchen and my room via the ceiling/floor. We put lots in insulation into the ceiling and lots of drywall and no openings, but it's still bugging me. I'm thinking about putting something on the ceiling too, not sure what though. I know it won't make a huge difference now, since the ceiling has been built this way. In retrospect, it would have been a good idea to build the ceiling using a different method with more mass, but then again, more money and the ceiling is already low.

MichaelE
December 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Spuds right. Getting to know the room and tailoring it to the recording and mixing you'll be doing is half the battle.

Robert
December 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I think I will take a trip to the thrift store and see if I can find some used blankets or something. I don't have anything at all to put up on the walls yet, and I can't fit a couch in there either. I need to hang some stuff up. Then, I can get to know the room.

ZMAN
December 29th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I had my equipment in my bedroom, just an amp and a couple of pedals.
When my son got married I moved into his room and set it up as a study. I was able to get 4 amps, a cab and my pedal board, plus a large closet for my guitars. I also have a sofa, chair and wall cabinets for my stereo. My tone changed from one room to the other but I now have very little "echo". Oh yea it is carpeted as well.

Robert
December 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I went to the thrift store at lunch and got 3 blankets for $1.00 each. :D
What an investment I'm making into my sound isolation quest... hope it's better than nothing! :)

Next, I will get some proper lights.

Tig
December 29th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Try a medical supply for foam egg crate material. If there are none in your area, search online (http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enUS314US314&q=egg%20crate%20mattress%20pad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf) for "egg crate mattress pad". They vary in thickness and come in standard mattress sizes.

A thicker pad can be tacked to the ceiling and is fairly light weight.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31615fTDSnL._SL500_AA200_.jpg http://images.allegrocentral.com/AA/46/EggCrate-Foam-Mattress-Pad-191438-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg

Tig
December 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
You can hang the blankets up on a curtain rod system attached to the wall using metal loops poked through the blanket. This allows you to vary how much the blanket is exposed, for tailoring the dampening effect.

Spudman
December 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Check out back around the dumpsters of your local hospital. Often they toss a lot of the egg carton foam away. If you find some use plenty of Lysol before bringing it into the house.

Robert
December 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Check out back around the dumpsters of your local hospital.

http://www.msn-emotions.com/uploads/evil/yuck.png

syo
December 30th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Lots of good suggestions. If you don't mind spending a little more you might consider a software solution:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/arc/features/

I actually thought about trying this out myself but I have a self imposed moratorium on new recording software. Of course if you were to try it out and recommend it enthusiastically, I would have a valid reason to lift the moratorium;)

I have heard some good things about it. Not perfect but worth the money judging by the reviews I've read.

sumitomo
December 30th, 2009, 10:13 AM
In my room I'd be covering up with those blankets,it is freezing in my room.My friend Rogie uses tapestries,he say's it helps to bring about the devine essence in spirituality,I say yea or own a franchise in 7-11.Sumi:D

Ilovecheapguitars
December 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I have a DJ friend who used egg cartons... but I can't imagine that looks nice without some sort of covering over it... plus you'd have to eat a ton of eggs!

I had an extra room in my house before kid #2 came along. I can honestly say that egg cartons aren't the prettiest thing to look at but they do work. they do take a long time to accumulate too. call your friends, they may think you're crazy but you can get them quicker that way. I cut the tops off and just use the bottom part that holds the eggs, it takes 3 to make 1sq ft. I cut 1x1 pieces of particle board and glue them on. I got the Idea because I've heard that in actual studios (never been in one) they can change the angles of the walls, floors and ceiling. I could change the wall angles by using different holes in the particle board, the ceiling I used blankets, the floor was carpeted and I just used various furniture pieces on the floor. unfortunately everything is stacked up in my garage now until I can figure out another place to put it all up again.

djmcconnell
December 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM
There's some practicial information here (including an acoustics 101 guide (PDF) that I'll be reading at lunch:

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/acoustic-treatment/buying-guide.php

If you win the lottery, you could cover your walls with the Russ Berger panels (see image). They're beautiful to boot.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/PSSA22-large.jpg

ZMAN
January 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I just saw a commercial on TV for a company called nutechwallsystems. It looks like drywall but it has a covering on it. It might be worth a look.

Robert
January 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I've got some photos up now. See http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.renman/StudioRoom#

I am building some acoustic panels out of rigid insulation. I have no idea where to place these, how many I should have, etc. I've been reading a bit here and there online about bass traps and acoustic panels, but I'm definitely new to this. If anyone has any specific suggestions for me regarding the acoustic panels for my room, let me know. The photos should give a good idea of what the room looks like.

It's really just regular room in my basement, which has been "finished". Lots of insulation has been added everywhere, but I also had a closet made for storing other stuff, and there is a door which just goes to the little storage spot under the stairs.

M29
January 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I suggest experimenting. Try stuff anywhere, up close over here over there. Behind this in front of that, over head to the side. Up the wall down the wall...up down up down. paint the fence up down up down....:rockon When you think you got it, move it all around some more. :socool

Nice job very nice indeed. Makes ya want ta crank it up:AOK

wingsdad
January 6th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I've got some photos up now.

...If anyone has any specific suggestions for me regarding the acoustic panels for my room, let me know. The photos should give a good idea of what the room looks like.

Before suggesting anything about the acoustic panels that hasn't already been said here: Is that ceiling flourescent fixture staying or going?

Unless you plan to play and/or record in the dark, you may come to hate it.

Robert
January 7th, 2010, 08:28 AM
The fluorescent fixture is staying, I like it. Why would I come to hate it?

wingsdad
January 7th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Signal Noise. If you really like it, add a dimmer rheostat to it.

Robert
January 7th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Signal noise, ahh, didn't know that! Oh well. If it becomes a problem, I'll change it.

I guess the consensus is to build some acoustic panels and experiment with the placement?

wingsdad
January 7th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I just added a line to that short comment, Robert...my experience is to avoid flouresecents, dimmers, ceiling fan motors and the like in the studio. Anything that generates Radio Frequency Noise.

Movable acoustic panels (baffles, if you will) of different thickness, harrdness/reflectiveness and heights, the use of blankets & the like (especially overhead to 'drop' the ceiling) are your best bet to start with, or even end with. Once you dress a wall or ceiling, you're stuck with it.

Consider a (movable/removable) reflective floor surface, if only under your amp, or if you happen to use an acoustic guitar, seated, under your chair. I use one of those hard clear plastic floormats intended to go under office chairs. Cheapest one I could find.

The idea is to be able to make your room 'bigger' or 'smaller' at will.

Tig
January 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Lots of insulation has been added everywhere

Wow, that insulation is excellent! That will provide a nice amount of noise blockage for the house above.

//Oh, and don't forget to install a door stop to prevent the handle from knocking a hole in the new wall.

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/598121/4201596/0/1190903869/Door_stopper.jpg

Robert
January 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
After hours and hours of research, I think I know how to build my acoustic panels. I just bought some Roxul Safe N' Sound, which should work great for this purpose. I will need to build a frame to put the insulation batts into, and then cover with fabric. I'll do 4-6 for starters. They'll be pretty big.

Tig
January 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Roxul Safe N' Sound (http://www.roxul.com/residential/create+a+quiet+home+with+safe%e2%80%99n%e2%80%99so und) is 3" thick, so it should perform really well.
Also, it's extremely fire resistant, so your screaming solos will not burn up the basement! :rockon:

Robert
January 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM
haha, I can even play "Burn" by Deep Purple!

Robert
January 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
So, I got some Safe N' Sound and the stuff smells horrid initially. After a while, the stench seems to subside.

Now my conundrum is this - I am lazy by nature, and I need hang these things on the wall and a couple in the ceiling too. Can you figure out a way to mount them without having to build a frame? I will need to wrap them in cloth of course (they are quite flimsy) and I was thinking maybe I can hang them somehow from the material I am wrapping them with.

I plan on getting what is called "broad cloth", and then wrap the insulation batts with this, and use some good glue to make the material stay put.

Put your thinking cap on and help me out. The more I think of it, the more it makes sense to build wooden frames...

t_ross33
January 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Take the plunge and build some cheap wooden frames from 1x4, or even econo-studs (cheap, cheap, 2x4's). Make them rectangular so you can hang them with horizontal or vertical orientation as needed. Stuff and wrap (material will be more secure if you staple it, than if you just try to glue it).

Screw an eye-hook in each corner. Screw a bunch of eye hooks into the ceiling (along the joists, evenly spaced), then you can hang the panels in various configurations around the room. You could even angle them as needed by adjusting the length of wire supporting each corner... does that make sense?

I think that would work pretty slick.

ZMAN
January 15th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I think you should do someething like this. Make a couple of rectangular frames out of wood. Reinforce the corrners to make them sturday. Stuff the Roxul into them and put the cloth over it and staple the cloth to the wood. I think the handling of the wrapped panels the way you are thinking would be a pain the derierre to work with. Using the eye bolts and hooks will keep them in place. When not using them you can stack them in another room. You could make the frames from budget 1 by 3 pine. The 2/4s would make them pretty heavy.

Robert
January 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I think you are right. I'll build some simple frames and see what I can come up with.

I also got some softbox lights, and I installed them today and tried them out. Should work pretty slick for my videos, I'm hoping. My room might be slightly small for video... I'll test more and see what I can do. If there's a will, there's a way. (except I'm not dead yet)

deeaa
January 16th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Okay my 2c here too...

In home studios, in my experience, the number one problem is always clean power and avoiding interference from fluorescent lights etc. That's what really screws up the sounds and S/N ratio/causes problems. Solution: make sure you have as little gear behind that fuse as possible, definitely no coffee makers/any thermost controlled devices, A/C units, fridges, etc. but only music gear. Also use shielded/protected power strips/extension cords only.

2nd biggest problem is actually the gear itself; using a better soundcard than mediocre can boost your s/n ratio by 20-30db easy. Also using sub-par external gear like Behringer mixers etc. can wreak havoc with your sound. Always use a bare minimum of devices to get the signal to the DAW, in monitoring it's not _so_ important. But really, use a minimum of stuff, and use quality stuff only, and you may be surprised.

3rd biggest problem is the reflection from large hard surfaces, usually windows, if present, or way too confined space/small speakers that make it impossible to hear the low end correctly when mixing.

But in reality, IMO, the actual sonic response of the room and it's 'acousticity' only becomes an issue when using hypersensitive mics and far-miking drums and acoustic instruments. Really, I wouldn't sweat about it at all. These days it's usual to record everything like vocals in small booths and/or use shield screens to eliminate all reflections so you get no extra space in sound.

Of course acoustics can be important in big studios and getting that grand piano to sound just right, but if you're recording vocals, guitars etc. the acoustics are the very LAST thing you ever need to worry about. My suggestion: when all the power etc. issues are fine and you get a -90db S/N according to your DAW metering, then worry about it - and IMO the best thing you could do is add some very heavy curtains on the walls/over windows, wherever you can. My space has heavy curtains right behind my back, closing the recording space into a small box surrounded by curtains; that kills all the reflections but lets the bass sounds travel thru OK.

So...my view is that pondering about acoustics of the space is absolutely the last thing to worry about. Just make sure you have some soft sofas etc. there to soak up reflections and not a lot of bare walls/windows > heavy curtains. You'll be better than a-OK for acoustics needs. Again, I'm sorry if someone feels I'm being forward dissing good efforts to build good acoustics, but it's just that in reality it ain't important; actually it's just plain dumb to spend too much effort in it in most cases, and chances are you end up actually just making the room sound more unnatural than what you started with. Enough damping and a room big enough for bass frequencies to actually sound is good enough. I know platinum-selling rock albums recorded in log cabins or studio coffee rooms - and you'd never know that from the sounds.

(btw get a couple long mic cables and try recording in a tiled washroom for acoustic guitars too :-)

p.s. 2 one thing that people also put too much weight on is 'just the right mic'; sure, I too have good AKG414 etc. mics but, in real life, I might just as well record a vocal using a '57 and it sounds just as damned good...a proper pop screen and correct distances etc. are more important than the best possible mic in a home studio, trust me on that one. You don't _need_ a top end mic unless you have top-end mic pres and and compressors and know how to coax the best out of that mic anyway.

Robert
January 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I do have to look at the acoustics though, because I have a small room. There is no place for a sofa or anything but my gear. I also have no windows.

The studio is also a video recording studio, so one wall is "clean" - just a black background.

The walls are naked and the echoing in there is terrible. Well, I now have the insulation batts mentioned, and it makes a huge difference. Making frames for these should be easy, and this will make the room sound good for speaking (videos) and recording (on video and through mics).

Power is all good, I had an electrician take care of all that for me.

Gear is fine too, not pro gear, but good enough for my purposes.

deeaa
January 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Yeah in small rooms can be a real problem...especially if it's a symmetrical cube shape. The standing bass waves and the lack of lowest frequencies (since their wavelenght is so long they simply can't be audible in small rooms) is a problem too sometimes. Could you just put thick curtains over the blank walls, easy to slide open when need be and damping when needed? I don't think there is much to do besides damp the hell outta it, and/or break the even surfaces with most anything you can...but I still think you probably can't 'improve' the acoustic in any case, only reduce the problems...

deeaa
January 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM
There's some practicial information here (including an acoustics 101 guide (PDF) that I'll be reading at lunch:

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/acoustic-treatment/buying-guide.php

If you win the lottery, you could cover your walls with the Russ Berger panels (see image). They're beautiful to boot.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/PSSA22-large.jpg

Hmmm...that'd be VERY easy to build actually....just buy some 3" wide planed, thin planks, make a simple grid with 3" gaps, saw some to 3x3" bits, glue in, surround with longer strips....should cost small change & be real quick to build too...

guitartango
January 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Has anyone used plexiglass to shield the sound of the amp? I have a complaining neighbour who has asked me to turn the Bloody guitar down.

wingsdad
January 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM
g-tango-
Plexiglas will generate more reflections, especially in the higher frequencies & make the sound more lively. If they want you to turn the sound down, then plexiglas certainly isn't the way to go. You want less reflection of sound, if not outright absorption. I've known some in your situation (apartment dwellers, for instance) who've actaully built an outright enclosure -- a padded cell, if you will -- for an amp. Close-mic'd and/or DI'd, you wouldn't know it from the recorded signal.

Robert
January 25th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, you'd have to enclose the amp with some dampening material.

By the way, I built my first sound panel today. I mighty proud! :D I am hanging these on the walls and the ceiling. They are 3 inches thick (Rockwool).

deeaa
January 26th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Three things to absorb sound: mechanical separation (just rubber feet on amp help a LOT), air movement restriction (an airspace/airtight sealed door/wall/whatever goes a LONG way in damping soundwaves) and reducing reflection.

You can use feet thick dampening/insulation if the air can pass thru and it makes little difference...but build a tight box with some soft padding and airtight glued/sealed access and it'll be real quiet.