PDA

View Full Version : iMac ?

ted s
September 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Anyone have/use one for general home stuff ? Likes/dislikes, good unit ? good for recording gitfiddles ?

SuperSwede
September 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I have a iMac G5. Fantastic computer, and yes its a great recording device!
Garageband (which is included) is very easy to use for home recording.

ted s
September 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Apparently the new machine are using an Intel processor ? I your's one of those SS ?

SuperSwede
September 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM
No, I have the previous Motorola G5 2.0 ghz model. The newer has a Intel Core Duo (two processor cores in one) so I expect them to handle a lot of CPU intensive plugins. If you buy a iMac you will get a complete high quality recording application + a lot of software instruments, loops and effects (even amp modeling). Apple also sell JamPack upgrades which is DVD´s filled with music loops & effects.

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
No, I have the previous Motorola G5 2.0 ghz model. The newer has a Intel Core Duo (two processor cores in one) so I expect them to handle a lot of CPU intensive plugins. If you buy a iMac you will get a complete high quality recording application + a lot of software instruments, loops and effects (even amp modeling). Apple also sell JamPack upgrades which is DVD´s filled with music loops & effects.

My office machine for now (will become home machine after I can afford a new Powerbook) is a 20 inch iMac Duo. As I get started with some equipment for my new electric guitar, it occurred to me I need to understand how to use the great stuff I already have. I suppose it might affect which amp I pick. Can you point me toward some articles, FAQs, threads, or tell me some of your experiences?

Thanks,

Steve

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Steve, could you be more precise on what you want to know more about? Home recording, amp modeling, midi...?

As you already have an iMac (and iLife 06 with Garageband) you already have a very capable recording studio. Included with Garageband is several plugins (among them a very decent amp modeler), software synths and a bunch of loops (drums, bass, guitars and so on). You can also check out the Jam Packs available from Apple (I have Jam Pack 1) which adds more loops, effects & sounds. A iMac has a preamp built in, so you can connect your guitar directly to the line in and enjoy good quality, low latency sound. Perfect for amp modeling!
Garageband is super easy to get started with, so if you have used a portastudio or even a tape recorder you should have little or no problems recording with it.

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
Steve, could you be more precise on what you want to know more about? Home recording, amp modeling, midi...?

As you already have an iMac (and iLife 06 with Garageband) you already have a very capable recording studio. Included with Garageband is several plugins (among them a very decent amp modeler), software synths and a bunch of loops (drums, bass, guitars and so on). You can also check out the Jam Packs available from Apple (I have Jam Pack 1) which adds more loops, effects & sounds. A iMac has a preamp built in, so you can connect your guitar directly to the line in and enjoy good quality, low latency sound. Perfect for amp modeling!
Garageband is super easy to get started with, so if you have used a portastudio or even a tape recorder you should have little or no problems recording with it.

A couple of areas:

First, where to get started. I think you already answered that. Just start using the iMac, software, etc. Also, I will read up on the stuff provided by apple.

Second, re: amp modeling, I was shopping for my first amp and am headed toward the Vox AD50VT, partly because of the modeling built in. The thought occurred that I could get a different amp, maybe all tube, and do modeling with the computer instead. I would do that with a new duo core Powerbook. Essentially, plug the guitar into the computer, do all my modeling and effects, then feed it though an amp. I realize that this is all very newbie type stuff so please bear with me. Again, I will spend some time on the Apple site, with some seminars and online info there and clarify my questions for later discussion.

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM
This is just my 2 euro cents,

I think you should start getting familiar with a stand alone application first. I recommend that you download the demo version of guitar combos. It´s really straightforward. When you feel more confident you can try to (very basic as you wanted)

1) Launch Garageband, Create a new Project.
2) Create a audio track, select input (guitar combo plexi for example if you have the guitar combos demo installed). Set the volume level so it doesnt peak at red when you play gently.
3) Record a rhythm and lead track.
4) Enjoy your first computer recording.

When/If you decide that guitar modeling on the computer is something for you, you might want to check out Guitar Rig 2, which is available in a software only version, or a version + hardware controller which basically is a sound card with a few channel switches and a expression pedal:

http://www.native-instruments.com:80/index.php?id=guitarrig2_us

http://www.native-instruments.com:80/typo3temp/pics/572432cb24.jpg

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
This is just my 2 euro cents,

I think you should start getting familiar with a stand alone application first. I recommend that you download the demo version of guitar combos. It´s really straightforward. When you feel more confident you can try to (very basic as you wanted)

1) Launch Garageband, Create a new Project.
2) Create a audio track, select input (guitar combo plexi for example if you have the guitar combos demo installed). Set the volume level so it doesnt peak at red when you play gently.
3) Record a rhythm and lead track.
4) Enjoy your first computer recording.

When/If you decide that guitar modeling on the computer is something for you, you might want to check out Guitar Rig 2, which is available in a software only version, or a version + hardware controller which basically is a sound card with a few channel switches and a expression pedal:

http://www.native-instruments.com:80/index.php?id=guitarrig2_us

http://www.native-instruments.com:80/typo3temp/pics/572432cb24.jpg

Thanks Superswede. I will get going with it and report back at a later date!

sunvalleylaw
October 24th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Superswede: What in your opinion is the best connector to hook my guitar cable to the computer. I picked up mono signal to stereo converter that goes to a cable that goes from 1/4 to 1/8 to take the weight off the converter piece that fits on the back of the computer.

SuperSwede
October 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM
That would work just fine, just remember to select mono track in Garageband (you´ll find that when you select the input source). There is also a couple of special made products that you can check out:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/garagebandcables/

sunvalleylaw
October 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM
That would work just fine, just remember to select mono track in Garageband (you´ll find that when you select the input source). There is also a couple of special made products that you can check out:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/garagebandcables/

One would make that mont track selection for the input source with the griffin cable as well, correct?

SuperSwede
October 24th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Yes, the benefit of using a dedicated cable is that you wont loose any quality / signal, as you would by using a adapter. I use a adapter myself, and its OK but I plan to invest in a external interface so I can use the S/P DIF digital out on the tonelab.

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Yes, the benefit of using a dedicated cable is that you wont loose any quality / signal, as you would by using a adapter. I use a adapter myself, and its OK but I plan to invest in a external interface so I can use the S/P DIF digital out on the tonelab.

I went ahead and ordered the Griffin cable and am going to return the hodge podge of connectors and cable I got from Radio Shack. Amazon has them cheaper than the Griffin site. In looking at my next computer, the new MacBookPros have the duo processor and look as though they could handle the job closely enough to a desk top, plus then my son and I can hook in out in the garage or whatever rather than in my wife's home office. It looks as though I would have to add some sort of pre-amp as they do not have them like the ones built in to the newer iMacs. Superswede, any thoughts?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Steve, the Mac Book Pro line will deliver stunning performance when working with audio, no doubt about that. You will get a combined optical digital input/audio line in (mini tele jack). I think they got the same chip with the digital preamp as the iMacs, but I am not 100% sure about this. The MBpro will be a excellent companion to your new 60th anniversary strat. Good Luck :)

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2006, 10:09 PM
Steve, the Mac Book Pro line will deliver stunning performance when working with audio, no doubt about that. You will get a combined optical digital input/audio line in (mini tele jack). I think they got the same chip with the digital preamp as the iMacs, but I am not 100% sure about this. The MBpro will be a excellent companion to your new 60th anniversary strat. Good Luck :)

The Griffin Garageband cable came today at home, where I have our old, near original run Powerbook Ti 400 serving as a home machine. After getting the kids to bed after trick or treating, I went to plug in, then realized that the PB TI has no audio in jack such as used by the Garageband cable. Shoot, I thought, have to wait to go to work to try it on the iMac Duo I have there. Then, I thought about teh ancient Yamaha YST-M10 powered monitor speakers. Sure enough, I plugged into the audio input, and although no effects available other than a dial labled "presence", I was able to here the new 60th Std. Strat amplified for the first time since I brought it home. I know, I know, pretty lame, playing though computer speakers, but what the heck. Still was fun! :R

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
The Griffin Garageband cable came today at home, where I have our old, near original run Powerbook Ti 400 serving as a home machine. After getting the kids to bed after trick or treating, I went to plug in, then realized that the PB TI has no audio in jack such as used by the Garageband cable. Shoot, I thought, have to wait to go to work to try it on the iMac Duo I have there. Then, I thought about teh ancient Yamaha YST-M10 powered monitor speakers. Sure enough, I plugged into the audio input, and although no effects available other than a dial labled "presence", I was able to here the new 60th Std. Strat amplified for the first time since I brought it home. I know, I know, pretty lame, playing though computer speakers, but what the heck. Still was fun! :R

Ok Swede, help please. I must be missing something on my set up. I have the Garageband cable hooked up to my sound input on my iMac Duo 20 inch. I have selected audio line-in port in the sound preferences and turned up the input and output volume. I have opened Garageband and made a new track for a real instrument, selected channel 1 mono, (really tried all three options) for input, turned up volumes there, turned on the monitor setting, but am getting no sound, and no indication of any input into the machine. The tuner function does not recognize an input signal either. I must have forgotten something. The guitar gives plenty of output through a regular cable to the Vox AD30 I played with yesterday, and the Griffin cable sent a signal to my computer monitor speakers as well. I must have some setting wrong or forgot to turn something on. Can you assist or make a suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Check your PM´s...

ted s
November 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Hey Sunvalley, I had the same deal, I had to make a change in system preferences, sound, input, select line in rather than built in mic.

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Hey Sunvalley, I had the same deal, I had to make a change in system preferences, sound, input, select line in rather than built in mic.

Yeah, I did that. Now no sound at all, from iTunes or whatever. Have checked the prefs 3 times, input is set to audio line in, output is on and set to internal speakers. No go.

Worked like a champ on my other iMac (My secretary's) which is the G4 lampshade one with Bose mini speaks. Tried out a bunch of different amp emulations and it was really fun. The iMac duo must have some sort of sound card issue. I have a call in to figure it out.

SuperSwede
November 3rd, 2006, 02:02 AM
Download cocktail: http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/
Try to run all maintenance tasks, and disc repairs and see if it helps.

ted s
November 3rd, 2006, 05:43 AM
I hearby nominate SuperSwede as our resident Mac "Go-to-Guy", sorry, no funny looking hats or badges though.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
I hearby nominate SuperSwede as our resident Mac "Go-to-Guy", sorry, no funny looking hats or badges though.

Second the nomination. No funny hats, but we can get him a black turtleneck so he can look like Steve Jobs. :D

I did download that program and ran maintenance. Thanks for that link. Nice to do that maintenance anyway. However, my local mac dealer confirms that it must simply have been a weak sound portion on the motherboard, and he will run diagnostics to confirm, and take care of it under warranty. Meanwhile, I can take a lunch break with my secretary's machine which does work, since she is not here today. Need to get back to the superfuzz and sixties texture settings, maybe also surf, classic rock and arena rock as well. Lots of fun!:DR

SuperSwede
November 4th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Ok ;)

I hope it works out for you.

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Ok ;)

I hope it works out for you.

I dropped it off yesterday eve. the way home and the tech said I should have it back Tues. In the meantime, I spent lunch break time with the older version of Garageband on my secretary's G4 iMac (the lampshade one) It is fun to play with the amp simulations. I am going to search for a GB thread to see if settings, etc. have been discussed. Once I get comfortable, I will probably try to record and post some horrible newbie playing for group comment. :DR

ted s
November 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I dropped it off yesterday eve. the way home and the tech said I should have it back Tues. In the meantime, I spent lunch break time with the older version of Garageband on my secretary's G4 iMac (the lampshade one) It is fun to play with the amp simulations. I am going to search for a GB thread to see if settings, etc. have been discussed. Once I get comfortable, I will probably try to record and post some horrible newbie playing for group comment. :DR

Let me know how it goes Steve, I haven't spent enough time with it to like it or not.

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Let me know how it goes Steve, I haven't spent enough time with it to like it or not.

I'll make it a project and post results at some point in the future.

ted s
November 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
ok, the suspense was killing me, I tried it out and I liked it. I'll try to post my clip and you guys can throw tomatoes at me.

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM
ok, the suspense was killing me, I tried it out and I liked it. I'll try to post my clip and you guys can throw tomatoes at me.

Cool!! That will motivate me to do the same. Have to get my computer (that runs the program and is not being used by my secretary) back from the shop first. :rolleyes:

ted s
November 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM
pm to you Steve ............