PDA

View Full Version : New Year's resolutions?

deeaa
December 31st, 2009, 03:33 AM
I'm making a few:

- not a drop of alcohol in January
- spend at least 30 minutes working out/physical exercise somehow daily, at the minimum walk or cycle to work
- start leaving my laptop at work so I won't spend family time browsing the net or the fret while doing whatever at the same time
- start using a minimum of 60 minutes every day for ME, meaning going to my studio and play guitar, play computer games or do some mixing etc.
- Quit watching too much TV - the above 60 minutes I will mainly squeeze from TV time, not other/family time.

MichaelE
December 31st, 2009, 06:09 AM
I have resolved not to make any New Years Resolutions. That's one I know I can keep.

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM
I've never made many resolutions, because I feel like change can happen at any time. It doesn't always, but it can.

That being said, things I'm looking forward to in 2010 would be the gym re-opening at work and getting rid of some junk at home.

street music
December 31st, 2009, 06:27 AM
I plan to work harder at learning more guitar, hunt less, and enjoy life everyday.

@nthony
December 31st, 2009, 06:41 AM
1)Run more,
2) eat better,
3) explore the fretboard in a more structured manner.

Any suggestions on no3? I'm currently reading this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advancing-Guitarist-Mick-Goodrick/dp/0881885894/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262263097&sr=8-1

great book but very intense full of ideas but no real structured approach to learning.

SuperSwede
December 31st, 2009, 06:54 AM
1) change strings.

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2009, 07:10 AM
I've never made many resolutions, because I feel like change can happen at any time. It doesn't always, but it can.

I'm with Eric. When the time is right to focus on something, then I'l know it and it'll get done.

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 07:13 AM
pursue simplicity.

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 07:52 AM
I'm with Eric. When the time is right to focus on something, then I'll know it and it'll get done.

........:nope That's what I say and things never get done for me.

I plan to:

- Talk more, yell less (kids)
- Run every day unless weather permits
- Study more in school
- Provide therapy time for daughter
- Practice guitar every day

:help

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 07:54 AM
3) explore the fretboard in a more structured manner.

Any suggestions on no3?
Normally I'd leave this up to Robert or someone comparable, but what the heck? Of the 4 teachers I've had for guitar, I think pretty much all of them just wanted me to learn the C major scale at first.

I'm now understanding why. If you can figure out where everything is in C major (up and down the neck, on every string), you can play every mode in C, and you can eventually start modifying notes to get the scales you want (e.g. harmonic minor). If you want a different key, just move the patterns up or down the neck.

My advice is to just get a good map of the neck in C and woodshed a bit with that. I could be wrong, but I think if you do that you'll be able to jump off to other keys or modes or scales without too much trouble.

sumitomo
December 31st, 2009, 08:51 AM
I resolve to buy more guitar's,amps and pedals! why be hard on yourself,I'd only be fooling myself if I said I won't.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM
To manage time better, be less reactive, and to choose not to be frantic.

Robert
December 31st, 2009, 10:22 AM
1. To get some really good blues lessons produced both on DVD and for download.

R_of_G
December 31st, 2009, 10:57 AM
pursue simplicity.

...be less reactive

:applause

both of these are admirable, and things i will be focused upon myself.

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
1. To get some really good blues lessons produced both on DVD and for download.

WOOT! WOOT! :happy

luvmyshiner
December 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM
1. No more skydiving
2. Give up sobriety
3. Tell my clients what I think of them

Hmmm, looks like I won't be practicing law much longer.:thwap

piebaldpython
December 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM
1 Drop 30-60 lbs. It's to the point where it's like I'm looking into a "fun house" mirror. UGH!!

2 I have a slew of bad habits when playing guitar and I've got to ditch them.

3 A song can be as easy as 3 chords and 1 position in a minor pentatonic blues scale (see OG's recent performance vid where he spends gobs of time on the first 5 frets). Get those into muscle memory and I'm all set to boogie.