PDA

View Full Version : Best blues guitar is....?

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Assuming we are talking about semi-hollow body

What is the best brand for a blues guitar ever?

What is the best brand for a blues guitar under $500?

sumitomo
December 31st, 2009, 08:42 AM
That's a loaded question,but I think if your just talkin the BB King style,well the Epiphone Dot or the Rondo music Argile's are a proven choice.Sumi:D

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Assuming we are talking about semi-hollow body

What is the best brand for a blues guitar under $500?
I'm probably off-base, but the de facto classic semi-hollow electric guitar seems to be the Gibson ES-335.

Under $500, people will probably recommend...Hagstrom (Viking), Epiphone (Dot), Reverend (not sure?), and some other brands. Those are all good. Can't think of any others off-hand, but there are tons and tons.

However, I thought the typical blues setup was a Les Paul. Relatively speaking, I don't know much about blues, so why I'm answering this question, I don't know...

wingsdad
December 31st, 2009, 08:52 AM
Best brand (at least in terms of 'venerable', for having set the standard in semi-hollows with the ES335): Gibson. BB's Lucille is a Gibson, a higher level model than the 335.

Under $500? an Epiphone 'Dot' is a good version of their parent company Gibson's ES335 Dot. Used around $300-350. New under $500. The great debate with Epi s-h's is which are 'better': those made currently in their Gibson China factory, or those made under contract unitl a few years ago by Korean factories like Samick, Peerless or Unsung.

I have a 2001 Epi Sheraton II that was made for Epiphone by Samick Korea. I bought it used for less than $500. Samick moved their factory to Indonesia since then. I was lucky enuff that mine had Gibson Classic 57 pickups installed in it by the previous owner. Other than for bragging rights, or status symbolism, I'd have no reason to switch it for a 'real' Gibson.

oldguy
December 31st, 2009, 08:53 AM
It would be the brand you'll pick up and play, enjoy every day, and fits you the best in every way.

In other words, there can be no one right answer.
And that will become evident as more answers are posted.
Anything from a 335/355 style to a semi-hollow Tele can yield beautiful, soulful, sweet blues.

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
It would be the brand you'll pick up and play, enjoy every day, and fits you the best in every way.
Anything from a 335/355 style to a semi-hollow Tele can yield beautiful, soulful, sweet blues.
Ah...the accurate, albeit mildly cynical answer (not a bad thing). I was trying to do the same by just predicting what others would say instead of offering my own advice.

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 08:59 AM
Didn't know Epi's parent company was Gibson. Learn something new.

I'm trying to get an idea of two types of guitars. One to do research and focus on buying next year and then a guitar to work toward in the coming years.

I don't want to walk into the store or go online and find one that's just "pretty". I would like for it to have some quality behind it. I have to do research now and budget for it. I have family vacations I'm taking next year and other things so I have to know the cost and where I'm headed before I get there.

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 09:07 AM
I don't want to walk into the store or go online and find one that's just "pretty". I would like for it to have some quality behind it. I have to do research now and budget for it. I have family vacations I'm taking next year and other things so I have to know the cost and where I'm headed before I get there.
It's entirely possible to just go into a guitar store, plop down a wad of cash on a big-name, pretty guitar, and walk away with a very nice guitar.

However, if you know what you're looking for, you can also get very nice guitars (read: used) for considerably less cash. That's the eternal argument: it's not that expensive guitars aren't any good, it's just that there are comparable ones out there for far less cash; they're either used or lesser-known brands. I'd throw Reverend into the latter category, from what I know of them.

There are also other brands that are actually better than the 'originals' (G&L, Suhr), but that's a discussion for another time.

marnold
December 31st, 2009, 09:20 AM

Yes, yes! To oldguy, you listen. You can play blues on anything. Hey, I play blues on my Jackson with pointy headstock, sharkie inlays, and Floyd Rose. I must be doing it well because people usually start weeping!

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 09:35 AM

Took the words right from my typing fingers. The OG is so wise!!!

For me, it is the Dot (while waiting for the 335) and the Strat. They have a different sound and fit my different moods.

wingsdad
December 31st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Didn't know Epi's parent company was Gibson. Learn something new.

Gibson acquired Epiphone back at the turn of the 60's and actually made many Epiphones in the 60's using 'leftover' Gibson hardware, in their same Kalamazoo, MI factory (now Heritage Guitars has that).

I went back to my earlier post and edited it, as to correct that my Epi is a Sheraton II...not a Sheraton. There's a difference. The original, pre-Gibson Epi Sheraton, made in USA, was the guitar of note used by bluesman John Lee Hooker. Significant differences are the pickups on that one are 'mini' humbuckers, a/k/a 'New York Humbuckers' where the Sherri II has full-sized bukcers. The original also has a 'harp' type tailpiece, where the II has a 'stud' or 'stop' tailpiece. Gibson Epi did reissue the Hooker Sheraton as one of their Elitist series.

You opened this thread 'assuming talking about semi-hollow body'. And while it's true you can play the blues on any type of guitar, I'm guessing you're interest in a s-h has something to do with your stated affinity for BB King. Could be, then, that Chicago, or Mississippi River, Delta Blues is what you're favoring or thinking of when you say 'blues'.

BTW: Lucille is available as an Epiphone....

Others here are throwing out a variety of solid bodies and brands. All just fine and well-intenioned, I'm sure, but....off your topic.

For under $500, you have a lot of Gibson s-h clones to choose from besides Epiphone. An Ibanez Artcore AS73 is a nice '335 knockoff' for under $400, new.

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Best brand (at least in terms of 'venerable', for having set the standard in semi-hollows with the ES335): Gibson. BB's Lucille is a Gibson, a higher level model than the 335.

Under $500? an Epiphone 'Dot' is a good version of their parent company Gibson's ES335 Dot. Used around $300-350. New under $500. The great debate with Epi s-h's is which are 'better': those made currently in their Gibson China factory, or those made under contract unitl a few years ago by Korean factories like Samick, Peerless or Unsung.

I have a 2001 Epi Sheraton II that was made for Epiphone by Samick Korea. I bought it used for less than $500. Samick moved their factory to Indonesia since then. I was lucky enuff that mine had Gibson Classic 57 pickups installed in it by the previous owner. Other than for bragging rights, or status symbolism, I'd have no reason to switch it for a 'real' Gibson.

I go with this answer for question one, but say that you can get a new Hagstrom Viking for under $500 if you shop well, and it to me is the choice under $500.

EDIT: I like Old Guy's answer too though. I love my strat for a lot of blues tones, and that ASAT tele style semihollow CB has is I bet a great blues guitar too. I bet Marnold can play some great blues on a pointy too!

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Gibson acquired Epiphone back at the turn of the 60's and actually made many Epiphones in the 60's using 'leftover' Gibson hardware, in their same Kalamazoo, MI factory (now Heritage Guitars has that).

I went back to my earlier post and edited it, as to correct that my Epi is a Sheraton II...not a Sheraton. There's a difference. The original, pre-Gibson Epi Sheraton, made in USA, was the guitar of note used by bluesman John Lee Hooker. Significant differences are the pickups on that one are 'mini' humbuckers, a/k/a 'New York Humbuckers' where the Sherri II has full-sized bukcers. The original also has a 'harp' type tailpiece, where the II has a 'stud' or 'stop' tailpiece. Gibson Epi did reissue the Hooker Sheraton as one of their Elitist series.

You opened this thread 'assuming talking about semi-hollow body'. And while it's true you can play the blues on any type of guitar, I'm guessing you're interest in a s-h has something to do with your stated affinity for BB King. Could be, then, that Chicago, or Mississippi River, Delta Blues is what you're favoring or thinking of when you say 'blues'.

BTW: Lucille is available as an Epiphone....

Others here are throwing out a variety of solid bodies and brands. All just fine and well-intenioned, I'm sure, but....off your topic.

For under $500, you have a lot of Gibson s-h clones to choose from besides Epiphone. An Ibanez Artcore AS73 is a nice '335 knockoff' for under $400, new.

I AM looking for that Chicago, MS, Delta type blues. You hit it right on the head.

So is the Epi Dot a "knockoff" of the Gibson in the same way the Ibanez Artcore is, or do most people respect the dot more?

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM
or do most people respect the dot more?
Owners of the Dot probably do. Owners of the Artcore would probably say theirs is better. I think it's kind of a push -- I've played the Artcore a bit, and it's a nice guitar.

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Here's your huckleberry for under $500, in my opinion:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9125

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 09:59 AM

Dag, that first picture is mighty pretty.

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2009, 10:02 AM
It is better in person! :drool

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 10:05 AM
It is better in person! :drool

You are probably right, I'll PM you my address.

Spudman
December 31st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Blues is about attitude and feeling. Whatever voice you chose is the best one. That's all you're looking for when you are after a "blues" guitar. One that becomes your voice. Which in essence means any guitar will fit the bill. You just have to find one that says what you want to say with the tones you want to express yourself with. I don't think there is any shortcut. You'll have to do some shopping and find one that speaks to you.

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 10:54 AM
...You'll have to do some shopping and find one that speaks to you.

Man, you must be hearing a lot of voices.:poke

sumitomo
December 31st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Told ya it was a loaded question,now about those cigar box guitars!Sumi:D

Spudman
December 31st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Man, you must be hearing a lot of voices.:poke

I've done MY shopping. I'm just trying to steer our friend into the same sad addiction we all suffer from.:cool:

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 11:24 AM
I've done MY shopping. I'm just trying to steer our friend into the same sad addiction we all suffer from.:cool:

yep, you'll find no rehab here. But maybe some sound advise to make smarter decisions and then again, maybe not.

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 11:26 AM
How about this: if I was going out and buying a semi-hollow guitar today for under $500, I'd make sure I played one before buying, but would lean heavily toward a Hagstrom Viking.

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM
why lean heavily toward anything until you've played it?

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 12:27 PM
why lean heavily toward anything until you've played it?
Word of mouth, price, features; it's not like those things mean nothing.

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Word of mouth, price, features; it's not like those things mean nothing.

true, I was just jabbing at you :poke . You displayed something everyone here is guilty of, hyped by sight. SVL guitar is sweet and a real eye catcher, but doesn't mean it is any good (in this case it is good looking and good playing). Most times it is the visual that is what we are reacting too, but one must be aware of the need to play. Of course we all take chances and like Vegas gamblers, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. Fortunately the odds picking a gutiar sem to be better than the odds Vegas gives.

oldguy
December 31st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Ah...the accurate, albeit mildly cynical answer (not a bad thing). I was trying to do the same by just predicting what others would say instead of offering my own advice.

I assure you there was no cynicism intended in my reply.
There are a ton of things to consider when buying any guitar.
To me, first and foremost, comfort. Does it fit well? Is it the right weight/size for your body? Is it neck-heavy? Does the neck fit your hands and feel good when played? Do the frets hurt your fingers after playing an hour or so? Do you feel hampered by the size of the body? Is it too light?
Then there's the sound. Does it ring out acoustically unplugged? Do you like the sound amplified? Are the pickups balanced to your ears?
The design. Are the controls in a comfortable position for you to use? (Think Telecaster...). Can you pick comfortably between the pickups? (Think Strat...).
I tend to prefer smaller/lower profile frets, larger semi-hollow guitars don't seem to hang comfortably on me when I stand playing, I can adapt to Tele standard controls, but don't prefer them, I seem to gravitate towards my Agile AL-3000 for my go-to axe, but it's not a semi-hollow.
The two I mentioned are semi-hollows, vastly different, yet each can do blues quite admirably. I do believe a person cannot give an impartial answer, an accurate answer, without a lot more information.
I know Soulstress likes B.B. King, and wants to learn the blues.
The natural tendency would be to recommend the ES-335, or rather, the Epiphone Dot, a fine guitar to be sure. Neither of those choices fit me, personally, all that well.
I believe all the choices mentioned thus far are fine axes, but if we go back to Soulstress's original question.........

"Assuming we are talking about semi-hollow body

What is the best brand for a blues guitar under $500?"

......... I would have to revert to my original answer.........

"It would be the brand you'll pick up and play, enjoy every day, and fits you the best in every way."

And the only way to know the answer for a particular person would be try out a bunch of semi-hollows under $500 and see which one meets the criteria.

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 12:58 PM
true, I was just jabbing at you :poke . You displayed something everyone here is guilty of, hyped by sight. SVL guitar is sweet and a real eye catcher, but doesn't mean it is any good (in this case it is good looking and good playing). Most times it is the visual that is what we are reacting too, but one must be aware of the need to play. Of course we all take chances and like Vegas gamblers, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. Fortunately the odds picking a gutiar sem to be better than the odds Vegas gives.
Yup. I'm actually negatively interested in another guitar, but trying to put myself in the shoes, you know? I think that's an honest answer -- I'd probably begin my search with one of those because the fretboard/neck is (anecdotally) quite nice and they're not bad if you use SVL's ebay connection.

I think Jim P. posted something once about how people make rational buying decisions based on emotion -- e.g. that guitar looks sweet, so let me figure out why it would be a sensible buy.

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 01:02 PM
And the only way to know the answer for a particular person would be try out a bunch of semi-hollows under $500 and see which one meets the criteria.
Agreed.

I bet she had no idea what she was in for when she posted this question. There's passion in these forums, there is.

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Agreed.

I bet she had no idea what she was in for when she posted this question.

It's all part of the journey. When I bought my first $100 Squier, I would have told anyone they were nuts if they told me what would happen over the next three years.

Year one

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/IMG_1032.jpg

Going into year two

Only the Dot and the red Strat remain from those pics.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture240.jpg

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Actually. All of this is very helpful. Everything from the specifics of what people look for to "buying what feels good to ya."

I started off thinking everyone did major research into buying a guitar. Now I see they do, however, its research that suits their needs and likes along with the appeal of the guitar. Most of you prolly take all those tidbits for granted because you've been shopping and buying for so long. The little things help me a lot. Thanks.

ZMAN
December 31st, 2009, 02:08 PM
For blues I would take a look at what most guys who actually make a living playing the blues are playing. Number one on the list is the Strat, from there is would probably go to a Les Paul then the semi hollowbody. BB and Freddie King were some of the few guys that play that style of guitar for a living.
If you are really intent on getting a semi. The closest thing to an ES335 is the Epi Dot, then possibly the Sheraton which is a really beautiful guitar. Of course my favourite the ES335 would one of your ultimate down the road choices.
One thing about the double cutaway guitars, they have a very different playing position on the neck than a single cut or strat. The 12 to 21st frets are much more accessable and easier to play.
I personally have all of the above and I prefer the Les Paul for blues, but I love the tone from my ES335 as well, In the end as the guys all have said, when you find the one you will know.

wingsdad
December 31st, 2009, 03:27 PM
I go with this answer for question one, but say that you can get a new Hagstrom Viking for under $500 if you shop well, and it to me is the choice under $500.
It surely is for you :poke ;)

... and that ASAT tele style semihollow CB has is I bet a great blues guitar too...
Since I'm the culprit who sold it to her, yah, that axe can do blues...but better still is the G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow (without f-hole, so, a 'chambered' body) I got which took her place...and as long as pics are popping here...the stock neck humbucker on this model is a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH55-N...designed to recreate Lover's original Gibson Humbucker:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/ASAT%20Classic%20Bluesboy%20SH/IMG_5926.jpg

But that's a tad over the $500 threshhold.

And since I mentioned my Sheraton II...mine was well under that threshhold when I got it in '04, but I was unusually lucky...and today, new, a Sherri II is over that, new, but probably available under it, used in good/excellent shape.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Sheraton%20II/Sherri0503.jpg
EDIT:

...I AM looking for that Chicago, MS, Delta type blues. You hit it right on the head.

:cool: I just put BB King and semi-hollow together and did the math...

...So is the Epi Dot a "knockoff" of the Gibson in the same way the Ibanez Artcore is, or do most people respect the dot more?
Since it's a Gibson product, albeit an Asian import, not in the same way as the Ibanez or any other 'knockoff'...I'd imagine it's respected as much as any Epiphone by those who 'respect' Epi...and, for those who don't, there's the other brands' attempts to clone the original 335.

There's been a lot of mention of Strats here...off the semi-hollow path you're inclined towards, but...Buddy Guy's a Chicago Bluesman...more of a 'modern' disciple, shall we say...and he's been a Strat player forever, or so it seems.

OG hit it, and others have reiterated, though: it's whatever guitar you should ultimately find, once you do, once your playing has progressed to a point of 'hearing' and 'feeling' and procucing a certain blues tone and leads you to favor that particular guitar.

just strum
December 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Actually. All of this is very helpful. Everything from the specifics of what people look for to "buying what feels good to ya."

I started off thinking everyone did major research into buying a guitar. Now I see they do, however, its research that suits their needs and likes along with the appeal of the guitar. Most of you prolly take all those tidbits for granted because you've been shopping and buying for so long. The little things help me a lot. Thanks.

Sounds like you are going to be a great student. We (me) sometimes take opportunities to show off our guitars, but in the end it is all about you.

Tig
December 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM

Yep, I can't argue with ya there. :AOK
However, there is another Viking that I'd race it with! (wish it came in something other than black)

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/images/VDT_L_BLK.jpg

Tig
December 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Saint Blues, of course!
(duh, people) :poke
http://www.saintblues.com/skin1/images/custom/topBanner.jpg
http://www.saintblues.com/images/D/set_bluesmaster_mb.jpg

http://www.saintblues.com/images/D/upside61SFG900x.jpg

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2009, 06:57 PM
Yep, I can't argue with ya there. :AOK
However, there is another Viking that I'd race it with! (wish it came in something other than black)

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/images/VDT_L_BLK.jpg

Gotta be a way to get that trem hardware and retro-fit it. The trapeze bridge hardware is already attached similarly. That might be a fun mod to mine someday.

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 07:09 PM
That Hagstrom Viking made my eyes pop. :drool

I raced to the online store to check the price on that chic...... :nope

Starts around $650 and up. It was the pearl on the headstock and the whole thing from top to bottom that made it shine. It even came in my sunburst design. oh well.

The Epi dot didn't make me crazy like the Ibanez and that Hagstrom. I also notice that I dont like a guitar (for myself) with gold for the bridge and pickups. Its gotta be silver.

My next favorite color is the cherry after the sunburst, then black, followed by natural. All others need not apply for the semi-hollow. Now the strat is all a different kind of beast. That one is all about the glitz, glam, bam.

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Soulstress, PM sent with some info for you.

msteeln
December 31st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Universal law say's a black guitar is best sounding for anything.
Black, the new blues.

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Here is a Hagstrom Vik Deluxe (functionally the same as the Standard like have with some cosmetic upgrades) in action. An improv (by someone else much more talented than I) in that BB style you were talking about.

6vGM-8jG_ds&NR=1&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vGM-8jG_ds&NR=1&fmt=18

Make sure you watch it in HQ. The sound is much better.

Soulstress
January 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM
Damn that is so what I want to be like. I bit more gritty but yes thats the style I'm lookin for for sure.

I'll keep my eye on the prize and keep on practicing.

Duff
January 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Sort of like Spud said, blues is more than a guitar; attitude, feeling.

I'm not moody but when I feel like playing some serious blues I am influenced by my mood and pick one of my guitars that gets into the groove, at the time. I might grab a tele, an LP, or a strat, maybe even a really HOT guitar. Then I might play it thru a clean amp or a distorted one, depending on my mood and how things sound at the time. This way I try to let my soul and heart out into the world and get some solace.

I like electric blues best and also have a couple semi hollows; an Ibanez AS73 in transparent cherry that is awesome and a G and L Tribute Classic ASAT semi hollow tele that is great. But sometimes I want to dive into that really crunchy Xavier XV-500 LP style or the hot Ibanex ART300 active LP style and really get down into that heavy groove with some power and heavy, overdriven sustain so I can back off and let the blues roll out slow and easy with lots of sustain and bends and feeling, depending on my mood. I have about five amps right nearby stacked up and beside each other so I can have some choices to draw upon.