PDA

View Full Version : Difference?

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 08:22 AM
I was checking out some things on this website http://www.pssl.com/Six-String-Electric-Guitars when I ran across a guitar search that asked me to narrow my choices between:

Six String Electric Guitars - Fixed Bridge

and

Six String Electric Guitars - Tremelo

Whats the difference?

sumitomo
December 31st, 2009, 08:39 AM
You know that metal bar you see on some guitars? Well when it is pressed down it makes slack in the strings lowering the pitch and on some you can pull it raising the pitch,I'm sure you have seen Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van who's it use them and the other is well fixed it dosen't move.Sumi:D

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 08:47 AM
You know that metal bar you see on some guitars? Well when it is pressed down it makes slack in the strings lowering the pitch and on some you can pull it raising the pitch,I'm sure you have seen Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van who's it use them and the other is well fixed it dosen't move.Sumi:D
Yup. The bridge (where the strings attach to the body) on a guitar with a tremelo will be on springs, so it will allow you to stretch or slacken the strings with the tremelo arm to bend pitches up or down.

Like this:
http://en.wikivisual.com/images/4/42/Stratocaster_detail_DSC06937.jpg

marnold
December 31st, 2009, 09:18 AM
And, thanks to Leo Fender being an engineer and not a musician, it is forever known as a tremolo instead what it actually is: a vibrato bar.

Eric
December 31st, 2009, 09:20 AM
And, thanks to Leo Fender being an engineer and not a musician, it is forever known as a tremolo instead what it actually is: a vibrato bar.
Yeah, I decided not to go there. I must say, I had never thought of that until you talked about it at some point. One of those, "Oh my gosh -- he's right!" moments...

marnold
December 31st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I decided not to go there. I must say, I had never thought of that until you talked about it at some point. One of those, "Oh my gosh -- he's right!" moments...
Yeah, it's one of my "must . . . be . . . pedantic" things. I don't know why that irritates me as much as it does.

Soulstress
December 31st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah, it's one of my "must . . . be . . . pedantic" things. I don't know why that irritates me as much as it does.

Thats funny.

Vibrato bar describes it so much better for what it does. Thanks for the explanation folks.

kiteman
December 31st, 2009, 12:53 PM

You mean it's not a whammy bar ?? :what

hubberjub
December 31st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Just call it a wiggle stick.

ZMAN
December 31st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Just take it off and bend the notes!