PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Grail

Nelskie
September 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
But at some point down the road, there will be a need to park a vintage Super Reverb down at Nelskie Studios. Ain't nuthin' like the real thing, baby!
Some of you may remember the above statement in my "Modeling vs. Vintage" post under this section awhile back. Well . . . long story short - - it happened.

A good friend of mine was looking to down-size his current set-up, and knowing my affliction for vintage Fender tone, decided that his 1968 Silverface Super Reverb needed a new home. Ah yes, sometimes the stars and planets come into alignment. And I was quick to the task.

Being a wordsmith of somewhat capable regard, I can honestly tell you that I am almost at a total loss for words as to how this amp sounds. Well . . . almost. ;) When you're face-to-face with vintage equipment, there's something totally different that happens to one's perception of tone. And indeed, it is truly a magical thing. Like walking into a beautiful, ancient church, and being enveloped by the sweet, spacious sound of a full choir. As your mind drifts into this alternate consciousness, you realize that each note and chord that you play has an innate and almost spiritual feel to it - - something that modeling technology has yet to define. The effect it has on one's playing is nothing short of glorious - - almost like there is a direct channel into every thought and emotion, which in turn, are instinctively transposed through your hands and fingers into something outer-worldly, and borderline mystical.

Having now supped from the Holy Grail, and felt its intoxicating allure, I can only tell you this: there's no turning back. ;)

Ain't nuthin' like the real thing, baby!

Katastrophe
September 14th, 2006, 09:31 AM
...And from somewhere, a man named Leo smiles.:D

Beautiful amph, there, Nelskie, and congratulations my friend! You must post a sound clip. It's a moral imperative.:)

Tone2TheBone
September 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM
...And from somewhere, a man named Leo smiles.:D

hahaha that was classic Kat!

Nelskie what a great amp! I can't believe what I'm hearing either! I think you're evolving. :) Great score! Woof woof woof!

duhvoodooman
September 14th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Woo, doggies!!!! That is SWEET, N-man!

OK, then--no more Mr. Nice Guy. Excuses are no longer acceptable. I believe I can safely speak for several of the resident Fretters when I say....

WE DEMAND SOUND CLIPS!!!

Do whatever you must. The time has come for Nelsko-Fenderish tone to be released upon an eager, waiting world. Get it done, my friend!

Fellow Fretters--add your voices to the fray! Apply persistent and pitiless peer pressure! Demand that which we all deserve--to hear this vintage tone machine for ourselves!!!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
September 14th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Welcome to the club Nelsk , that 68 drip edge super is beautiful , looking at the pics it looks like it got the original oxfords , too cool, . Nelsk send me the serial # it could actually be a 67 , some of the early silverface drip edge (alum trim around grill ) were made in late 67 , basically a blackface circuit ... killer amp dude ... 6S9L

Nelskie
September 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Do whatever you must. The time has come for Nelsko-Fenderish tone to be released upon an eager, waiting world. Get it done, my friend!!!!
I'll see what I can do about that this coming weekend. ;)

69SL - I'll e-mail you w/ the SN# tonight. Thanks for mentioning it.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
September 14th, 2006, 11:28 AM
almost like there is a direct channel into every thought and emotion, which in turn, are instinctively transposed through your hands and fingers into something outer-worldly, and borderline mystical.

Now that IS pure poetry.......

warren0728
September 14th, 2006, 11:29 AM
NO NO NO>>>DO NOT POST SOUND CLIPS....i will just make me crazy!! :eek:

ww

Tim
September 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Holy Mackerel on the Holy Grail!!! You must have special magical eminence about you Nelskie. You write about things and they happen. In the future, I will be paying attention to what you say and write about. If you decide to write about stocks please shoot me a PM first. I will share my profits with you.

Nice catch on the 1968 Fender Silver Face Reverb “Vintage” Not only is there no turning back … make sure there is no looking back.

Yes we would like to hear sound clips. Some others will have to get their GAS under control. A quick fix would be to stay away from the Fret Net until this topic passes by. Then you also must not turn back and review the past posts regarding Silver Face Reverb sound clips.

Yea, that mean you Warren!

warren0728
September 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Some others will have to get their GAS under control. A quick fix would be to stay away from the Fret Net until this topic passes by. Then you also must not turn back and review the past posts regarding Silver Face Reverb sound clips.

Yea, that mean you Warren!

i am weak...............

Robert
September 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Congrats! That is a great amp, I have played them a bit.

SuperSwede
September 14th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Wow congrats Nelskie! Post soundclips you will.

Spudman
September 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Oh no! I can't believe it. You are pulling our legs right?

Now I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of that Bassman.

Nice score dude. If you're putting stuff out to the universe how about a BMW while you're at it? No, not for you...me!

Katastrophe
September 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Wow congrats Nelskie! Post soundclips you will.

Ooooooooooooh, you have to do it now, Yoda has spoken!:D

Disclaimer: No offense to vertically challenged, green pigment enhanced Jedi Masters was intended by the preceding statement, nor to any members of TheFret.Net who coincidentally happen to be from the shredder nation of Sweden, named after a fine Hagstrom guitar.

SuperSwede
September 15th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Disclaimer: No offense to vertically challenged, green pigment enhanced Jedi Masters was intended by the preceding statement, nor to any members of TheFret.Net who coincidentally happen to be from the shredder nation of Sweden, named after a fine Hagstrom guitar.

Taken is the offence not, shredded you will be.

Spudman
September 22nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
OK, then--no more Mr. Nice Guy. Excuses are no longer acceptable. I believe I can safely speak for several of the resident Fretters when I say....

WE DEMAND SOUND CLIPS!!!
Fellow Fretters--add your voices to the fray! Apply persistent and pitiless peer pressure! Demand that which we all deserve--to hear this vintage tone machine for ourselves!!!

Where dem clips? We gotta hab dem clips.

duhvoodooman
September 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
A fair question, Spuds!! How long we gonna let this guy skate by clipless??? :eek:

Tim
September 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I'll see what I can do about that this coming weekend. ;)

I read somewhere that words come back to haunt you. Please consider this a haunt ... hint;)

Tim
September 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Duhvoodooman for President!

What pressure this man can deliver. Straight forward demands.

Let's get with it Nelskie. Where dem clips dude???

tot_Ou_tard
September 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Having now supped from the Holy Grail, and felt its intoxicating allure, I can only tell you this: there's no turning back. ;)

Ain't nuthin' like the real thing, baby!
I missed this news, congrats Nelsk!

As you all know, I am a baby at the guitar 9 mos & counting...pretty soon I'll be able to walk 'n' later to talk...

But back in April (when I was 4 mos old) I did once plug a a Schecter CSH-1 into a Super Reverb of unknown vintage & played what little I could. I couldn't crank it up so everything was clean.

Man O man the way the chords and single notes rang out...

shear angelic beauty.

If a single note can getcha

G

Oh....*MAN*

teardrop

should I try another...no wait for it

G G g g g g .......

Now!

C

and bring you to your knees. Then I can only imagine what truly jamming through such a monster will do to you.

Have fun Nelsk! I I hope we don't lose you too long to the ethereal jam!

Ethereal jam! It goes heavenly with super chunky peanut butter & whole wheat bread with a little grit n' chaff still in it!

Nelskie
September 23rd, 2006, 10:12 AM
How long we gonna let this guy skate by clipless???
Ha ha ha - skate by, eh? Judging by the multi-colored, larger-point fonts being used to issue these implicit demands, the natives must indeed be getting restless. :eek:

I suppose I don't have to mention the fact that I've now developed a huge complex from all of this peer pressure, and hence, will most likely need to go through several months of intense psychiatric evaluation before I can even strap on a guitar, and stand in front of an amp again. So, in the mean time, while I heal my fragile psyche, you can dig the bodacious tones of this dude's '64 Blackface Super Reverb at the Riff Matrix website (*listed under the "Gear" section):

http://www.superpage.com/riffs/index.html

And BTW, Spud - - it's just a Super Reverb. In 200 years, no one will care what it sounded like anyways. :D

Spudman
September 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM
And BTW, Spud - - it's just a Super Reverb. In 200 years, no one will care what it sounded like anyways. :D

Touche'. Still, I want instant gratification. If you need a therapist might I suggest that little St. Pauli Girl. She has a way.;)

sesroh
May 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM
woooooooww lovely super. I'd love a 68 one. pretty sure mines a late 70s one but, if i came across a 68 locally i'd have to grab it!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/j_charles67/01010105.jpg

Tone2TheBone
May 29th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Oooo that looks like my Classic 50s Strat.

Supers are fantastic no matter what the year. Turn those babies up halfway and they spank heavenly tones with a Strat or Tele. It's part of the sounds we live for.

sesroh
May 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM
yeah.. they're lovely amps. I've had mine less than a month :)

tot_Ou_tard
May 30th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Super cool...I'm gonna drool.

You & Tone should record a seafoam green surf duo.

Tone2TheBone
May 30th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Super cool...I'm gonna drool.

You & Tone should record a seafoam green surf duo.

SURF green SURF green. (seafoam is darker....again)

sesroh
May 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
haha id be down

sunvalleylaw
May 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Picky, picky Tone. . . . ;)

Tone2TheBone
May 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Picky, picky Tone. . . . ;)

Sorry but I have to correct this common mistake. :p

tot_Ou_tard
May 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM
What if I call it Surfoam green just to taunt you? :D :p :D

6STRINGS 9LIVES
May 31st, 2007, 07:14 AM
Thats a real nice SR Sesroh , its easy to determine the year of the amp , its definitely a post 74 , check the numbers on your transformers, they should read something like this 606-631, the last three digits reflect the year and week of production of the transformer , and will generally give you a pretty close indication of its date of assembly . nice to see Nelskie's name on a post even if it is from the past ..still miss that guy and his posts.. 6S9L

hdscout
April 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
My dad bought me one in 1968. The thing that i thought was coolest was the power plug on the back of the amp! I wish my 65' re-issue twin reverb had that extra plug.
Look for a device called the "Ice Cube". It was a small plastic light-blue cube that you could plug into the reverb plug. It was activated by the reverb foot switch and gave the coolest overdrive boost.

ZMAN
April 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I had one in 1968 and it was the heaviest thing I ever moved. Of course I lived in a 3 story converted Victorian Mansion and I had to carry it up 3 flights of stairs. A friend of mine has a 1970.

tot_Ou_tard
April 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM
My dad bought me one in 1968. The thing that i thought was coolest was the power plug on the back of the amp! I wish my 65' re-issue twin reverb had that extra plug.
Look for a device called the "Ice Cube". It was a small plastic light-blue cube that you could plug into the reverb plug. It was activated by the reverb foot switch and gave the coolest overdrive boost. Cool! Your first post is to resurrect an old Nelskie thread.

Is this the gizmo?

http://www.guitar-museum.com/vignette/guitar/100/220268795089-1.jpg

Spudman
April 4th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Cool! Your first post is to resurrect an old Nelskie thread.

Is this the gizmo?

http://www.guitar-museum.com/vignette/guitar/100/220268795089-1.jpg

I still have that somewhere in my 'old stuff' box. I used it on my Princeton. I didn't think it worked very well.

markb
April 4th, 2009, 02:55 PM
The Ice Cube sounded horrible.

gregsguitars
June 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
If you need any more watts I have a 100 watt silverface Showman dual reverb head converted into an early 70's twin cab combo that needs a new home.

otaypanky
June 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Look for a device called the "Ice Cube". It was a small plastic light-blue cube that you could plug into the reverb plug. It was activated by the reverb foot switch and gave the coolest overdrive boost.

I still have one of those little pups, I think they were really made in an ice cube tray

I don't use it in my amps as I like the reverb
Here's my '67 that I've had since the early '70s

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0274-1.jpg

otaypanky
June 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM

I still have one of those little Ice Cubes. I think they were really made in an ice cube tray, hence the name. I don't use it in my amps as I like the reverb

Enjoy your new amp, good score!
Be sure to experiment using the 2nd lower powered input. That gets overlooked by so many players it surprises me.
Another cool thing with some of the old amps, at least with my '67, is that if you roll all the tone pots down to 0 you get almost no volume out of it. Then set your volume control up around 7. Next start to bring the bass up just a touch. You'll hear the amp go oooff and come to life around 2 to 2 1/2. Then bring your mid and treb pots up to taste, maybe 3 to 3 1/2. You'll be able to get a more driven tone without excessive volume. Using that technique while plugged into the low power input and the amp becomes much more versatile for situations where you want to keep a lid on the volume

Here's my '67 that I've had since the early '70s

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0274-1.jpg