PDA

View Full Version : Hockey 2010: NHL & Olympics

R_of_G
January 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Anybody else have the Winter Classic on today? Marnold?

I love the concept, and that the Flyers are in it this year. I could do without the 40 minutes of pre-game Bob Costas babble before the puck drop.

How many different ways can he say "these guys grew up playing outside" and "this is normally a baseball stadium"?

Either way, the game is great and I'd love to see more of these outside games.

Olympics in about a month and a half... I know who Robert is pulling for and I am sure the Swedes will be tough to beat, they always are.

Robert
January 1st, 2010, 02:57 PM
I have a feeling Sweden will not be as good this Olympics as in the last one... pre-Olympic games haven't gone so well.

However, right now is Junior Worlds! That's where I'm expecting the young Swedes to kick butt!

marnold
January 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have a feeling Sweden will not be as good this Olympics as in the last one... pre-Olympic games haven't gone so well.
I dunno if Franzen is going to be back in time for the Olympics or not. His absence has hurt the Wings far more than it will Team Sweden (aka the Red Wings and some other guys). I'll be rooting for Team USA first and foremost (go Raffie!) and Team Sweden second. Mainly I'll be rooting that all the Olympic Wings make it through the break without further injury. Hopefully they can have everybody back after the break in time for a playoff push.

WRT the Winter Classic: I love it. I crap on Bettman a lot, but this is genius. I only got to see a bit of the beginning and then the third period and OT. The Flyers had opportunities to extend their lead but couldn't cash in. I wish they would have replayed the trip on Chara so I could see if it was a bogus as the Flyers' coach thought it was. It's going to be hard to top these last two Classics next year. My guess would be Rangers and somebody at Yankee Stadium.

I've heard talk of Wings/Blue Jackets at either the Big House or the Horseshoe. Betcha they could sell out in Ann Arbor. It'd certainly play up the Michigan/Ohio rivalry, but I'm not sure the Jackets would be the national draw the NHL would be looking for.

Michigan is playing Wisconsin at Camp Randall this February. That'd be very interesting.

I'd still like to see an "Original Six weekend." Have two afternoon games and one in the evening. Wouldn't have to be in the same place. Wings v. 'Hawks, Bruins v. Habs, Rangers v. Leafs. Tell me that wouldn't rock. It would also give a nice tip of the cap to the game's history.

R_of_G
January 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM
I'd still like to see an "Original Six weekend." Have two afternoon games and one in the evening. Wouldn't have to be in the same place. Wings v. 'Hawks, Bruins v. Habs, Rangers v. Leafs. Tell me that wouldn't rock. It would also give a nice tip of the cap to the game's history.

this would amazing, though personally, i'd pair up the two canadian teams as i think that would make it an extra special nod to the canadian roots of the game.

marnold
January 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM
this would amazing, though personally, i'd pair up the two canadian teams as i think that would make it an extra special nod to the canadian roots of the game.
Thought of that, but there's such a nice history of hate between the Bruins and the Habs I had to keep those two together. Wings and Leafs would be good too. Ol' Terrible Ted Lindsay used to say that he played hockey to earn a living, but he'd play the Maple Leafs for free.

R_of_G
January 1st, 2010, 10:07 PM
no doubt, they'd be great matchups that way as well