PDA

View Full Version : Joe Bonamassa - You & Me

Nelskie
September 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Anyone in the mood for some great rock-infuzed bluze might want to check out the *NEW* Joe Bonamassa CD - You and Me.

For those that are already familiar with Mr. Bonamassa's impeccably hot chops, this new release serves to underline his growing stature as one of guitardom's finest slingers. The material on the new album shows broad range of musical influences, along with Joe's soulful blues touch. Also lending their talents to the album are Jason Bonham, son of the late John Bonham (Zeppelin's drummer extraordinaire); and Pat Thrall, who lit it up with the Pat Travers band back in the late 70's early 80's.

The diversity of the styles reflected throughout the material on You And Me shows an artist with a deep respect for the blues, but also, one who's not afraid to put his own stamp it. This is what makes this album's collection of songs shine so brightly. There's up-tempo rockers (Bridge To Better Days), heartfelt blues balladry (Asking Around For You), vintage club style (I Don't Believe), and swampy delta mojo (Torn Down); all-in-all, a veritable smorgasboard of tasty blues fare. But the big ladle of meat gravy on this tantilizing feast is an absolutely scorching cover of Led Zeppelin's Tea For One (from the 1976 album Presence). Side to side, all (11) tracks are deeply satisfying, and abound with fantastic guitar work. Folks, this dude can flat-out bring the mojo.

Another thing that I found very cool was that Joe lists his equipment on the CD sleeve. To me, is the mark of a true player, and an afficianado of tone. Yes, I do realize that some of this is related to his numerous gear endorsements, but still - very cool. And personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with supporting the companies / manufacturers who suppport you. For people like us at Fret.Net who dig gear and killer guitar tone, knowing the stuff he's playing just serves to enhance the listening experience. T2TB, you'll be happy to know that Joe uses a Marshall Silver Jubliee one several of the cuts.

Soooo, before everyone rushes off to youtube.com to start posting links to Joe Bonamassa video clips, I'd first like to encourage folks to go out and support one of the guitar community's most aspiring new talents by picking up (meaning: GO OUT AND BUY IT!) his latest CD. And then, make it a point to set aside some time at home, grab a cold beer (or other beverage of choice), put it on the ol' stereo, kick back in your favorite chair, reeeelllllaaaaaxxxxx . . . and really give it a good, solid listen.

Yeah, I know that sounds old-school. But trust me - - the experience is definitely worth it. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/You-Me-Joe-Bonamassa/dp/B000FC2F2O/sr=1-1/qid=1158259462/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7647419-8263100?ie=UTF8&s=music
http://www.jbonamassa.com/index.htm

Tone2TheBone
September 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Joe Bossanova! (its what I been callin' him lately). Thanks for this review Nelskie...he'll be added to my iPod hopefully this weekend. I still haven't found Gov't Mule CDs locally yet, they're always out. I hope to have luck getting Joe's work and GMs soon.

Silver Jubes rock! Joe's in the KNOW. :)

Robert
September 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Joe is great. He's got a killer strat tone too. If you haven't heard him yet, be sure you do.

Lev
September 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I've been playing this CD non-stop for the past month. It's the first CD of his that I've got but I'm gonna start getting his back catalogue over the next few weeks.

A few months back Guitarist magazine in the Uk had a DVD interview with him about his tone, influences etc. and he is a real cool guy and a real guitar enthusiast too. I'll see if I can dig it out over the weekend and post some clips on youtube.

I'd concur that anyone with an interest in great blues should have some Joe Bonamassa in their collection.

Riley
September 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM
He's my favorite newer player out there! He's from the area I live in actually. His parent still live about a mile down my road from me. I've seen him play here two years in a row. His live shows are killer! He's got the chops and the vocals to back it up. His new DVD Rockpalast is great, but with his old band. He's got a new bass player and drummer now, which the You & Me album was done with.

-Peace
-nate

SuperSwede
September 14th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks Nelskie... I am downloading it right now! (Legally, from iTunes of course :) )

Carlström
September 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
He's a good player for sure. I saw him live last year (Riley brought me along to the concert...jetlaged swede is easy to move around)

Jimi75
September 15th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I have seen Joe twice here in Germany. He is THE and I really mean THE new player! A very smart and friendly guy. His singing became very good. Just listen to You & Me. Those vocals are almost equal to his guitar playing.

marnold
September 15th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I've looked at several major chain stores in the States to try to find his records, but to no avail. Is the only option Amazon?