PDA

View Full Version : Any Major Gear Aquisitions for Christmas

ZMAN
January 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
With the economy the way it is I was wondering if anyone got any major gear gifts for Christmas? That would include gifts to yourself, or gifts from others.
There was a lot of product out there but I bet not a lot of buyers.

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
My Martin SPD-16TR was largely a Christmas purchase, using Christmas money in lieu of gifts, along with birthday money also in lieu of gifts, and selling some stuff. So I guess it counts, and it is a major gear acquisition for me for sure!

street music
January 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
My Carvin C350 .

MichaelE
January 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Turner Model 1, Roland RE-20, and a set of Zoalla cables. All from me to me. :happy

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/TM1000131.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/TM1000161.jpg

sumitomo
January 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
My birthday is so close to Christmas,I am building another guitar,it's costing me close to eight to build,it's another Warmoth creation I really love my other one,I have some lower end guitars for work (to get dirty,banged around,ect)but when it comes down to it I always reach for my strat or my warmoth tele and this new one will have stainless frets I really like stainless frets,they feel like butter and last along time.Sumi:D

Eric
January 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
With the economy the way it is I was wondering if anyone got any major gear gifts for Christmas? That would include gifts to yourself, or gifts from others.
There was a lot of product out there but I bet not a lot of buyers.
I'm guessing that a new strap and some hangers don't qualify as a major purchase, correct?

In that case, unfortunately no. I may, however, be purchasing a Crate Powerblock soon if all goes according to plan, which will go a long way toward completing my pedalboard puzzle.

vroomery
January 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
I was fortunate enough to get a set of ue4's from Ultimate Ears. Most of the times I play, we run through an in ear monitor system and I've been using universal fit single drivers from westone. These ue4's are dual driver's for better bass response and overall clarity and are custom molded to my ears so they have a really solid seal from outside noise. So basically...i'm really really excited to get these in. Christmas presents involving music are always good.

Dauntless
January 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Black Squier Custom II with P-90s, that screams "play me!" :cool:
Gift to myself!

ZMAN
January 4th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hey you guys did pretty well. I didn't get anything from gear land. I have used up Christmas and Birthday gifts until 2020. The only way I can justify getting any new gear is to sell something. The only problem is that every time I go to sell, I have excuses. Also I have a 3 week trip to the south planned and that will take the equivalent of a decent Les Paul.

marnold
January 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
My major acquisitions were this summer when I traded for my DK2M and bought my DVM-made OD2. This Christmas the money I got is going towards a new computer--my first new one since 2002. I suppose it could count as "gear" since I plan on recording with it.

oldguy
January 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Well, with my wife having rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, plus myself having one for cubital tunnel, buying the Jet City 20H was about enough.
I did get one very nice gift for Christmas that was guitar related though.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154b41f9ae74eb8.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1443)

ZMAN
January 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Well, with my wife having rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, plus myself having one for cubital tunnel, buying the Jet City 20H was about enough.
I did get one very nice gift for Christmas that was guitar related though.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154b41f9ae74eb8.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1443)

That is one thing we don't have to worry about, here in Canada, thank God for universal heath care.
You know I just remembered I bought a Marshall footswitch to go with my Marshall 100 Mosfet. I guess that counts. Not major though.

R.B. Huckleberry
January 4th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Bought myself a Pignose a couple of days after Christmas. Does that count?

duhvoodooman
January 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Only peripherally music-related, but I did finally purchase myself a decent soldering station--one of those Hakko 936 stations that Tung recommends. I've only used it briefly on a pedal repair (not one of mine!) that I did for a guy. Now I'm kicking myself for not having gotten one of these ages ago. SWEET!!! :AOK :happy

MAXIFUNK
January 4th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I guess the LP CLASSIC PLUS falls into that time frame it was close enough.

I will soon have a couple of new couch guitars straps thanks to the wife.
I also bought a book of scales.

ZMAN
January 5th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Bought myself a Pignose a couple of days after Christmas. Does that count?
As long as it was bought in the spirit of Christmas, and not just GAS.
I guess we have to take into consideration everyones gear budget is different.
Yes Maxi I guess that Classic is major, a major Score!

ZMAN
January 5th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Only peripherally music-related, but I did finally purchase myself a decent soldering station--one of those Hakko 936 stations that Tung recommends. I've only used it briefly on a pedal repair (not one of mine!) that I did for a guy. Now I'm kicking myself for not having gotten one of these ages ago. SWEET!!! :AOK :happy

Yea, I know how you feel. This is not gear related, but I am doing a reno on my Dad's place and I purchased a table saw. Wow! Great tools can make a job 100 times easier, and way more precise.

Monkus
January 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Lady Monkus got me an iMac for the home studio after seeing me frustratingly plow through different pc and linux daw's thru 09. Garageband and Logic Express, 4 Gigs Ram. 500 Gig HD. Had to order a bilingual FW cable since the fw on the imac is 800 and my firebox is 400. Got that delivered yesterday and was messing with some software instruments last night. FTW !!!!

Knewman
January 5th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Lets see, I got a Digitech Timebender delay pedal, an Ernie Ball Volume pedal, a Digitech Hardwire Chorus pedal and a Gator Pro-Powered pedal board. Now I have enough toys for at least a................month. 2009 was a good GAS year for me.

ESP 1000 ASB guitar
Digitech GNX4
BOSS RV5
Digitech Screamin' Blues
M Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R

M29
January 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I ended up with a Tonelab ST. Lots of fun to be had in this little bugge!! :rockon

Bloozcat
January 6th, 2010, 10:11 AM
An ISP Decimator noise gate pedal, a BBE Orange Squash compressor pedal, a BBE Supa-Power 9v power supply, a General Gadgets reverb pedal kit, and a six pack of short jumper cables to connect these and other pedals to my board. And to add to that a cool Fender Custom Shop calendar for 2010 to hang in my office.

She might not like having to hear them in use, but she sure doesn't mind buying them for me. :AOK

Brian Krashpad
January 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Not anything large for Christmas. My folks gave me some cables, and I bought myself an Intellitouch tuner to use primarily in the acoustic side band I'm apparently now in.

However, the understanding at Casa Krashpad is that anything I buy myself during the course of the year I consider a gift from Mrs. K, so that I do not expect Christmas, birthday, etc., gifts. And I got a much larger batch of things this year then I thought I would. This year, I bought 3 basses (Peavey Fury I, Epi Thunderbird, Peavey T-40), one electric (Retro-H 12-string), one acoustic-electric (Esteban), and an acoustic-electric mandolin.

The T-40 (w/ohsc) and 12-string were $275 each (incl'g shipping on the latter), and the other 4 instruments were roughly a hundred bucks each. So I get a total of roughly $950 from those, plus $175 for a Super Champ XD, for a total of $1100+. I did sell about $250 worth of gear, and have a couple small amps on consignment that haven't yet sold, but in 2010 I expect I'll purchase much less. Everything I bought (except for the tuner) was bought used.