PDA

View Full Version : A long time ago in a lounge far far away...

333maxwell
January 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
I just finished this one..

Originally I was orchestrating the whole thing with real and vst woods and brass but somewhere in the middle of it all my hard drive told me I only had a few hundred MB's left and to clean up my act..

So I stripped this one down to the essentials and called it mixed and didn't think much of it afterwards.. I certainly hadn't intended on sharing this one in this shape..

However I started getting a lot of feedback on this one and apparently some folks had fun giving it a spin.. I figured maybe someone else may have fun with it too..

Sooo.. here it is.. a bit of a throw back to another time and culture....

Two of a Kind
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8549991

marnold
January 3rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
I don't think I've heard anything like that in a guitar forum ever. Even if there was nothing to say other than that, it would deserve praise. The only place where it sound like it could use a little something is at the instrumental outro. It sounds like there should be another verse of vocals. I was planning on having a martini tonight anyway . . . now I feel like I'm in a bona fide gin joint!

Eric
January 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
I like this a lot. The intro (and maybe the whole song?) seems nicely lo-fi. Your vocals are great -- I can sing a bit, but I don't have the voice to hold out those notes and do it so smoothly. It sounds really good and not strained at all, and I know that's not always an easy thing to do.

When I read the comments, I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it's really cool. Nice work.

aeolian
January 4th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Always something out of the ordinary from you, 3M (may I call you 3M?) And like usual, it is great. Thanks for sharing.

Just thought I'd mention that I saw Pink Martini on New Year's Eve, which somehow fits right in with this.

oldguy
January 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Had a little trouble w/ the drums from 0:15-0:25 for some reason.:help
After that it settled in nicely......play it again, Sam!:D
Really liked the Martin/Lewis pic you put up, also.:AOK
Nice job, max.:applause

sunvalleylaw
January 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Very cool! It certainly has a Jerry Lewis era quality to it. Were the piano notes intentionally just off the beat during that period OG was mentioning? Sounded to me like it might have been intentional. Nice!

333maxwell
January 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I don't think I've heard anything like that in a guitar forum ever. Even if there was nothing to say other than that, it would deserve praise. The only place where it sound like it could use a little something is at the instrumental outro. It sounds like there should be another verse of vocals. I was planning on having a martini tonight anyway . . . now I feel like I'm in a bona fide gin joint!

Hiya Marnold..

Thanks for the thoughts.. indeed the outro needs work... the whole song could use some.. errrrrrr just as soon as I finish this other one I am working on.. *G*

You know how it goes..

333maxwell
January 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I like this a lot. The intro (and maybe the whole song?) seems nicely lo-fi. Your vocals are great -- I can sing a bit, but I don't have the voice to hold out those notes and do it so smoothly. It sounds really good and not strained at all, and I know that's not always an easy thing to do.

When I read the comments, I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it's really cool. Nice work.

Thanks Eric..

I did the style no real favors.. at best I was trying to mimick phrasings and such and get into that 'groovy' swingy kinda feel.. but still, I enjoyed doing it..
I love the old swingy jazzy thing...

333maxwell
January 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Always something out of the ordinary from you, 3M (may I call you 3M?) And like usual, it is great. Thanks for sharing.

Just thought I'd mention that I saw Pink Martini on New Year's Eve, which somehow fits right in with this.

Silly me.. I had to google Pink Martini.. sounds like a good time... I was with an 8 yr old who was trying to figure out how to best work an air horn.. arrrrrgh.

Appreciate your time~!

333maxwell
January 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Had a little trouble w/ the drums from 0:15-0:25 for some reason.:help
After that it settled in nicely......play it again, Sam!:D
Really liked the Martin/Lewis pic you put up, also.:AOK
Nice job, max.:applause

I'll have to go back and re-visit it.. I'll pay attention to that .. thanks..
The obvious product of me doing more 'programming' of the drums than 'listening'.. *L* .... I'm a really rotten drum programmer.. I've never been close to satisfied with any home made drums I come up with.... On Soundclick I have 75 songs of wishing I could program my drums better..

---

Appreciate the ear and the time my friend... peace~!

333maxwell
January 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Very cool! It certainly has a Jerry Lewis era quality to it. Were the piano notes intentionally just off the beat during that period OG was mentioning? Sounded to me like it might have been intentional. Nice!

Heya Sun..

Ya, the piano intentionally rushes the beat, sometimes it lags.. all the hep cats are doin it man.. c'mon.. *G*

Thanks for the ear..

syo
January 5th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Yes, I had fun giving it a spin. Had me reaching for a beverage at 8:30 a.m.
(Although slippery elm tea doesn't fit the mood quite so much as a highball. Maybe tonight...:cool:
Thanks!