PDA

View Full Version : Spookbox live recording (Ceriatone)

deeaa
January 6th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I posted a while back about Ceriatone clip I made...now here's a recording I did with those settings etc. It's recorded at the training facility and it's completely live, no overdubs or anything. Recorded on an 8-track. I tell you it was a ***** to mix the vocals as the mic bled a LOT indeed, so there's no gates on channels or anything, I just had to mix them together with EQ...and the vocals also were audible live from these PA speakers so they fed back at times too.

Here's one 'balladesque' song:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/03_walkwithme_master.mp3

I play the left channel lead melody and one of the solos (of course left channel), and sing.

oldguy
January 6th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Nice one! Very respectable for a live recording, and, I might add, nice job on the vocals. Was that you singing also?

deeaa
January 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Yep I'm the singer/songwriter/guitarist!

Eric
January 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I play the left channel lead melody and one of the solos (of course left channel), and sing.
Cool. I agree that the vocals were good, particularly that howl you have going on at around 00:56.

Your tone in the break/bridge (02:24) was great, as well as the tone in your solo. I liked the solo tone more than the lead at the beginning, but you were probably going for different things.

The other guitar though... That effect at the beginning and at various other points seemed to be really really thick. The sustained notes in the solo were cool too.

Nice work!

deeaa
January 7th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Cool. I agree that the vocals were good, particularly that howl you have going on at around 00:56.

Your tone in the break/bridge (02:24) was great, as well as the tone in your solo. I liked the solo tone more than the lead at the beginning, but you were probably going for different things.

The other guitar though... That effect at the beginning and at various other points seemed to be really really thick. The sustained notes in the solo were cool too.

Nice work!

Thanks! It's actually the same tone all along the song except in those lead parts I kick in the H&K Warp Factor for distortion, it's rather a thick drive pedal, at maybe quarter gain it's very strong already. Same in the lead, but I play much harder in the 'solo' part, and closer to the bridge plus use a lot of 'fake harmonics' for a more clear/biting sound. But other than that, I only lessen the bridge pickup volume some to clear it up in the intro and midway thru for cleaner sounds.

I definitely agree about the other guitar FX...the other guy uses a Line6 Spider III or something, and he only uses the ready-made patches...I suspect he just doesn't know how to edit them...and the ready patches are very effect-laden indeed. I tried to lessen the FXy feel with EQ but it IS indeed very effected at times. He also has a slight problem at getting the sound to change at precisely the right moment, so as he plays the cleans and drives etc. of course live, you often hear the change comes a little late for choruses etc. He's quite a beginner player really, these recordings are the first ones he's ever gotten to record of his playing...it takes time to get used to the level of accuracy needed for picking rhythm and change parts.