PDA

View Full Version : Cassette tapes to make a comeback?

@nthony
January 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8441839.stm

Can anyone remember the 1st album thay brought on Cassette tape? Now there's a challenge!

Retro Hound
January 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I always bought albums, but used tapes for mix tapes. And I was a master at making themed mix tapes. (he humbly stated)

Algonquin
January 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I've never purchased an album on cassette... ever. I always bought vinyl, then would make myself a cassette copy for the car or walkman, etc...

Spudman
January 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
They aren't making a comeback at my house. I'm 8 track all the way. I hate flipping cassettes.:D

But seriously, I read the article and I can see some allure, but even though I have boxes and boxes of cassettes I'll never abandon digital.

Tig
January 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I tossed away over 100 cassettes a few years ago, because the tapes degraded to the point of being un-listenable. The tape material has a limited lifespan, from my experience.

I had some great mixes on some, but I create and use playlists on the iPod now. Most music on the iPod is from CD's. I like having a "hard copy" in case the PC hard drive fails before I get a recent backup of it.

Playlist examples:
Acoustic
Anthems (think uplifting, powerful songs)
Coolish (modern, but not too trendy pop junk either)
Drive (music my wife and I both like)
Jazz n Blues
Metallique (serious metal only, good for a hard bike ride)
Newest (latest additions that need more listening time)

guitarhack
January 6th, 2010, 10:02 AM
It's been a long time, but I think it was a ZZ Top 2fer: Tres Hombres and Rio Grande Mud. I didn't buy many albums on cassette as the only player I had was in the car. I've been a vinyl, then cd guy, and now of course mp3s in certain situations.

MichaelE
January 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I've never purchased an album on cassette... ever. I always bought vinyl, then would make myself a cassette copy for the car or walkman, etc...

Same thing I used to do.

And then I put the album away until I needed another copy. I rarely ever played albums because I wanted to keep them new.

FrankenFretter
January 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
It's hard to remember that far back, but I think it was Boston's first album. I always preferred vinyl, even after CDs came out, but eventually had to make the switch in order to buy new music. Unfortunately, my vinyl collection was "lost" during one of my moves. Of course, I don't know where I'd put them now, and I no longer own a turntable, so they would only be collecting dust.

@nthony
January 7th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Mine was Iron Maiden - Live After Death - double live cassette. Hey I was only born in 1980. I have an excuse! :)

steevc
January 7th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I think mine was Queen's Night at the Opera. As a student I had a tape deck, but no record player. I ended up buying more vinyl and taping it as you got a better package that way, but I was taping every album I could get my hands on. That was in the days when you had to copy in real time.

I've still got a few cassettes, but I don't know if they will still play.

Retro Hound
January 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I've played a few of my 20 year old cassettes and they still play. Probably not with the fidelity they once had, but it was pretty fun to hear those songs again.

msteeln
January 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I thot they were great when they came out, but have detested them for decades now. They always allow something to mess up the sound no matter the quality or effort.

thearabianmage
January 10th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Turning cassettes into 'high art'? I told y'all that London was a crazy town! :p

I was about 5 when I got my first cassette - it was The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles singing rockers and rock ballads and it was free with a pizza from Pizza Hut. I was the happiest kid ever. Pizza AND Ninja Turtles!!! :D

Cassettes are dead, but surely if you get decent amp/speakers then an mp3 at 320kbps would sound as good if not better than vinyl (considering the human ear cannot hear any difference in quality after 192kbps)?

Ilovecheapguitars
January 10th, 2010, 11:15 PM
that's a tough one. I saved up my allowance to for what seemed like eternity to buy a walkman. my first cassette was 1 of 2 from 2 different realms. I remember having the cars greatest hits and digital underground but I'm not sure which one I got first.

peachhead
January 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
The first summer I ever worked, I bought a walkman, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Steely Dan tapes. I still have a big box of 'em I listen to out in the garage but they are slowly dying one by one. On a similar note do you know how hard it is to find a cassette player nowadays?!!

pes_laul
January 25th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have never bought a cassette....

street music
January 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
It was a Three Dog Night cassette.

peachhead
January 25th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have never bought a cassette....

:thwap