PDA

View Full Version : Must Have in 2010?

MAXIFUNK
January 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
What gear do you want/need/must have this year?

For me it is a nice tube amp nothing fancy but solid Jet City or
a Vox Night Train running through A Marshall 1960 4x12 Cab, or
if I get real lucky A Bogner Alchemist or
if I hit the LOTO!! LOL! An ENGL E635 FIREBALL!!

I have no new guitar plans for 2010 although I do have gas for
Hagstrom Deluxe-F, or super Swede!
Michael Kelly Patriot Premium!
Ibanez ART300!
A traditional Fender Tele there is this FSR with noiseless pups on MF which has me thinking HMMM!
A Fender Strat with noiseless pups with a rosewood fret board there is also a FSR on MF which has me thinkg HMMMM!

So whats on your 2010 List, do tell................ :dude

FrankenFretter
January 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
On my list:

Epi Tribute Les Paul,
A decent stereo chorus (I'm not happy with my Ibanez),
A 2x12 cab for my Night Train,
A pedalboard to clean things up a little.

That's the starting point, anyway. I don't need anything, but GAS is a terrible thing...

marnold
January 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I'd love to get a Jet City 20W combo, but I don't think that'll be in the cards.

However, my birthday is coming up in a month and I'm pondering a Keeley DS-1 . . .

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Not must have, but I am making it a goal to get a Line6 M9 or 13. A little portable amph would be fun too.

Robert
January 6th, 2010, 04:15 PM
A semi-acoustic jazz and blues baby.

Tig
January 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Edit:

Must Have a tube amp. One of these:

Bugera V22 for $350 is a cheap yet tasty possibility
Egnater Rebel 30 for $800 sounds fantastic
Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI $999 for classic goodnessMust have a Squier CV Strat 60's, or if possible, a used G&L USA Legacy (http://www.jerrycochran.com/G-L.html).

To go with the amp, a Line 6 M13 or maybe just the M9. The M13 needs a MIDI expression pedal, so a Rocktron Utopia Expression Guitar Effects Pedal would be nice.

Don't need but would like a double humbucker guitar, possibly an LP copy.
A Hagstrom Swede is a possible finalist.
The Michael Kelly Patriot Limited is a great bang for the buck:
The Peavey HP Signature EXP is also a contender:

A Love-To-Have would be a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe Tremar,
and a dream hollow body would be the Gretsch Brian Setzer...

My Lottery Dream List is similar, but add lotsa' boutique amps (Swart, Reinhardt, ENGL, Germino, Headstrong, Nolatone, Swampworks, Pritchard, Landry) and Custom Shop level guitars.

Tibernius
January 6th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm hoping to sell a few of my guitars and either swap the pickups out on my Les Paul copy, or save up for one of these:

ESP LTD Viper 407/417 7-string:
http://soundblare.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/viper_esp.jpg

Schecter C7:
http://www.guitar.co.uk/documents/2651/2651-large.jpg

I don't play the Strats and Tele anymore, and I don't have enough room for any more guitars without selling them.

On the practical and much-more-likely-to-happen side, I'm going to try the DR Tite Fit and Hi-Beam strings. I need to get some patch cables as well (I've now only got 3 working cables left).

MAXIFUNK
January 7th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I'm enjoying what I currently have, but the EVJ is dead, and there's a possibility that my job interview today might turn into a good job.

Must Have a 2 channel tube amp with effects loop:

Bugera V22 for $350 is a cheap yet tasty possibility
Egnater Rebel 30 for $800 sounds fantastic
Mesa Express 5:25 for dream level spending of $1200, but this amp sounds incredible, and has plenty of tonal range.A 2x12 cabinet is a Nice-To-Have, like an Avatar with Hellatones 60's.

Must have a Deluxe Player's Strat. -Good noiseless pickups, quality build, sound, and features for $600.

To go with the amp, a Line 6 M13. I like the extras it has over the 9, and need some effects to shape with, since the Vypyr needs to get traded in.
The M13 needs a MIDI expression pedal, so a Rocktron Utopia Expression Guitar Effects Pedal would be nice.

I'd like an HH guitar, possibly an LP copy.
A Hagstrom Swede is a possible finalist.
The Michael Kelly Patriot Limited is a great bang for the buck:
http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Gallery/product/Michael%20Kelly/624%20Michael%20Kelly%20Patriot%20Limited%20Bubing a%20FinishSubCat.jpg

The Peavey HP Signature EXP is also a contender:
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionRegular/Peavey/454171.jpg

A Love-To-Have would be a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe Tremar,
and a dream hollow body would be the Gretsch Brian Setzer...
http://www.gretschguitars.com/images/briansetzer2.jpg

My Lottery Dream List is similar, but add lotsa' boutique amps (Swart, Reinhardt, ENGL, Germino) and Custom Shop level guitars.

Tig,

GREAT MINDS think alike so many things on your list where or are part of mine. :applause

The peavey was on my gas list but since I now have a LP I want an LP or LP style axe with EMG pups or EMG pup style thus the MK & Ibanez on my list.

and the Deluxe players strat is a very nice axe love them.

Thanks for the Bugera V22 info this might be a better fit than both the Vox or Jet City. Like I said the tube amp is the most important thing i need this year. I must go see one of those Bugera V22 ASAP.

Tig
January 7th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the Bugera V22 info this might be a better fit than both the Vox or Jet City. Like I said the tube amp is the most important thing i need this year. I must go see one of those Bugera V22 ASAP.

I wasn't too interested in the V22, but after playing with one, I was impressed. The funny thing is that when I stood up after an hour, I really thought I was playing something else that was much more expensive! I sh*t you not. I looked down and saw the "Bugera" badge and it hit me... All this for only $350? Daaaamn! :dude

My only concern is with their reliability. The only thing I'd consider changing is the 12" speaker, but only if I thought it would make a real difference, and only after a few months of playing.

Unknown Fan
January 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Top of the list is of course a Reverend UH signature model...

Also want to either buy or build a '72 t-style guitar (p90's or tv jones pups?)

But I got to sell some guns first per the warden:thwap

Geoffrey Charles
January 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Semi Hollow with a Trem.

A good Tube Amp.

MichaelE
January 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Mesa Dual-Rectifier head.

hubberjub
January 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
This year will see a Soloway (http://solowayguitars.com) Swan (N.Y.A.) and a Bruno (http://brunoamps.com)Cowtipper.

Dauntless
January 11th, 2010, 10:57 PM
One of each! :cool:

phoenix_p0
January 12th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Hmm... I think I'll be more trying to finish the various projects I have on the go before thinking about new gear - come the spring, I'll be hoping to finish the Firebird.

Should any vintage Eko gear come along before then though... you never know...

tot_Ou_tard
January 12th, 2010, 05:12 AM
This year will see a Soloway (http://solowayguitars.com) Swan (N.Y.A.) and a Bruno (http://brunoamps.com)Cowtipper.
That is a sweet list, hub.

syo
January 12th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Gretsch Rev. Horton Heat and/or Brian Setzer and/or G&L Will Ray signature Tele. All three will/would be nice!

Neal
January 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Another JVM, and a Les Paul:happy

Monkus
January 12th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Must...learn...to...use...the ....gear...I...have.... :thwap

sumitomo
January 12th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Those are very interesting Hub,that Swan is a 27 in scale,have you ever played one and how is the string tension,what I mean is is more effort from your fretting hand needed,also which tipper were you looking at they sound SWEET!,those headstrong amphs are nice also.:poke Sumi:D

Brian Krashpad
January 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Honestly, I'm good. No plans to acquire anything. I have 5 basses, which include a Jazz, a Precision, and a couple with dual humbuckers (one of which, a T-40, can split the HB's). Similarly, I have 20 electric guitars, with most all the major features available (double HB, Tele, Fat Tele, SSS Strat, semi-hollow w/P-90's, solid w/P-90's, Ric w/ Hi-Gains, 2 w/Bigsbys, an electric 12-string, etc.).

On the amp side, I have several different rigs available by mixing and matching heads and cabs , both for guitar and bass. Sfaik, these should cover all my rock bands and church praise band gigging.

That said, deals on cool stuff seem to fall into my lap all the time, and if it's something that's a deal, that's playable, and not redundant of what I already have, I'll consider it. Right now I have a line on an Oscar Schmitt cheapie A/E bass guitar for $70. While I don't "need" an acoustic-electric bass, I don't have one, it's a good price, and it'd be a cool thing to have for "unplugged" performances or for my daughter to possibly use in church.

So, I keep an open mind. ;)

otaypanky
January 19th, 2010, 04:48 AM
My wife ordered this Bombshell Standard Plus for my birthday in December 2008. It's nearing completion and should be here soon. The builder had a tough year with some personal issues, hence the long wait. 'Glad he's doing ok now. The guitar was slated to have a tortis pickguard but the supplier is no longer making the material. 'Still hoping for another source. Those are Lollar P-90's in there, ebony board. That should make 2010 a great gear year for me :happy

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/bombshell.jpg

@nthony
January 19th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I've got my eye on a Michael Kelly - Patriot Custom Walnut or Burbinga.

Just have to wait until August or September to save the cash :(
Had serious financial issues in the past 18 months, and just getting out of them all now. Not long to go, and I'll be virtually free from debt! :)

Eric
January 19th, 2010, 04:34 PM

So whats on your 2010 List, do tell................
Crate Powerblock, some sort of pedalboard, and to actually get around to soldering the cable parts that I have in a box downstairs.

I'd like to get a cab at some point too, but that's kind of a far-off thing.

Tig
January 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Those are Lollar P-90's in there, ebony board.

Wow, very nice! You'll absolutely love the Lollar's.
:applause

Blaze
January 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Not a must have , just an old dream ...

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/9/6/273996.jpg

peachhead
January 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Some sort of LP would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.
Not until my wife finds a better job, anyway.

kidsmoke
January 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
real world...either a pair of Lollar Imperials or just a Pearly Gates Neck to go with the JB bridge in my HB-35 (335 clone). I hope to do the p'ups and the pots all by m'self.... :AOK

In the dream world....a more substantial tube amp. Either 65 reissue Deluxe, or an Ampeg Jet20 or the Mesa Boogie F-30.

Most of all I wish for a Custom Shop Washburn Idol. WI-68 :dude

Brian Krashpad
January 20th, 2010, 09:11 AM
My wife ordered this Bombshell Standard Plus for my birthday in December 2008. It's nearing completion and should be here soon. The builder had a tough year with some personal issues, hence the long wait. 'Glad he's doing ok now. The guitar was slated to have a tortis pickguard but the supplier is no longer making the material. 'Still hoping for another source. Those are Lollar P-90's in there, ebony board. That should make 2010 a great gear year for me :happy

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/bombshell.jpg

:dude

Whoa mama, that's like my dream guitar. But between a Hamer Special in cherry and a Schecter Tempest Special to cover my TVY jones, I couldn't really justify another P-90 guitar.

Tig
January 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM
real world...either a pair of Lollar Imperials or just a Pearly Gates Neck to go with the JB bridge in my HB-35 (335 clone). I hope to do the p'ups and the pots all by m'self.... :AOK

Glad yo know I'm not the only one who likes Pearly Gates pickups. That would make a nice addition to the JB bridge.

kidsmoke
January 20th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes Pearly Gates pickups. That would make a nice addition to the JB bridge.

Well, i don't know, but I suspect....

The neck in this guitar is original stock (88) and is literally falling apart. The bridge is OLDER, a vintage Juarez wound JB - early eighties - and sounds awesome. So the choice was, replace one or both. I've got the '59/custom custom combo in my other HB axe, and I want to familiarize myself with other tones....so the PGn seemed a good choice, also, it's a good opportunity to mess around and learn a few things without spending huge bucks.

I had my heart set on the lollars, but decided to scale back and make a do it yourself project.

Tig
November 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Well, how did everyone do?

Looking at my post, I did fairly close. The Tweaker came along at a much lower price and won the amph purchase. The Washburn made it to the LP/double humbucker list and edged out the others, including the Agile 3x00. The Line 6 POD HD came out to replace my M9/13 need.

I'm very happy with my choices, and am glad I waited. I'd still snap up a Bugera V22 or Fender amph, but no hurry since I have a replacement board for the EVJ head ready to install.

The only stuff on my GAS list would be a 1x12 cab for the Tweaker, and a Fender Baja Tele (but won't kick a G&L ASAT outa' bed). As much as I like the Squier CV 50's Tele, I'm looking for something a little higher up for my Tele lust.
http://guitarsofheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Fender-Classic-Player-Baja-Telecaster-Blond-Maple.jpg

Eric
November 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
My stated goals were this:

Crate Powerblock, some sort of pedalboard, and to actually get around to soldering the cable parts that I have in a box downstairs.

I'd like to get a cab at some point too, but that's kind of a far-off thing.
I ended up buy a powerblock and then selling it, buying a pedalboard and selling it, making another pedalboard of plywood and bike chain, and soldering the cables I had. I never did get a cabinet/speaker.

Oh, and I bought a couple of guitars and an amp, but....those weren't exactly planned. So overall...I don't know how to grade myself!

MAXIFUNK
November 2nd, 2010, 11:53 AM

Looking at my post, I did fairly close. The Tweaker came along at a much lower price and won the amph purchase. The Washburn made it to the LP/double humbucker list and edged out the others, including the Agile 3x00. The Line 6 POD HD came out to replace my M9/13 need.

I'm very happy with my choices, and am glad I waited. I'd still snap up a Bugera V22 or Fender amph, but no hurry since I have a replacement board for the EVJ head ready to install.

The only stuff on my GAS list would be a 1x12 cab for the Tweaker, and a Fender Baja Tele (but won't kick a G&L ASAT outa' bed). As much as I like the Squier CV 50's Tele, I'm looking for something a little higher up for my Tele lust.
http://guitarsofheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Fender-Classic-Player-Baja-Telecaster-Blond-Maple.jpg

Tig once again we seem to be thinking alike. I have seen what you posted this year and that Washburn was one great looking guitar and the tweaker and you one great your of completed GAS. :applause :rockya

I want a smaller wattage tube amp and the Tweaker seems to be leading the way. Baja Tele has been on my Gas list from the 1st time I saw one on-line just have not had the great fortune to play one in person. I picked up a CV Thinline Tele and I want to replace my HH tele for different HH style guitar candidates to replace my FMT HH tele (Fender Blacktop Strat $449.00 USD, Ibanez DarkStone(DN500) $599.00 USD, DBZ Guitars Bolero Premier FM $699.00 USD. BlackTop seems to be winning on price and maple neck/fretboard. I also picked up my 1st pedal Boss ME-25 very cool muitl-pedal best deal around in its price range $199.00 USD. so yeah it seemed we where in the same ball park on the wants and needs front.

Tig
November 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Your original post mentioned a dream ENGL 635 Fireball...
Well, the Line 6 POD HD comes with an ENGL Fireball 100 amph model, which is close enough for me. (It roars!)

marnold
November 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'd love to get a Jet City 20W combo, but I don't think that'll be in the cards.
Mercifully I was only partially wrong. I didn't get the combo, but I did get the head and cab.

Retro Hound
November 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
Semi Hollow with a Trem.

A good Tube Amp.

These would be on my list also. There's a red Gretsch G5129 on ebay starting at US $345.00. If I had the money I'd get it, or if my wife didn't tell me I should be able to play a whole song with chords before I buy anything new. :-)

MAXIFUNK
November 2nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
For me it is a nice tube amp nothing fancy but solid Jet City or
a Vox Night Train running through A Marshall 1960 4x12 Cab, or
if I get real lucky A Bogner Alchemist or
if I hit the LOTO!! LOL! An ENGL E635 FIREBALL!!

I picked up a Fender Hot Deville so my Tube amps needs have been meet except this sucker is so loud I would like an low wattage tube. Tweaker 15 or maybe the new 40??? HMMMM

I picked up a killer bass rig Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine/1200 Cab which will put a halt to my GAS for while for sure.

I have no new guitar plans for 2010 although I do have gas for
Hagstrom Deluxe-F, or super Swede!
Michael Kelly Patriot Premium!
Ibanez ART300!
A traditional Fender Tele there is this FSR with noiseless pups on MF which has me thinking HMMM!
A Fender Strat with noiseless pups with a rosewood fret board there is also a FSR on MF which has me thinking HMMMM!

Well I picked up 2 new Fender guitars this year both I really like them a lot both I play a lot. American Special Strat HSS seems to be my #! practice guitar and Squire ThinLine Tele my #1 travel guitar in my car with me almost all the time. I recommend both of these guitars. I have no more plans on buying anymore gear unless I sell some gear to get an another HH AXE.

Jimi75
November 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
It's not quite a must have, but I hope that Santa brings some kind of Jazz Box or Semi Acoustic guitar for Christmas. A lovely Epiphone ES335Dot or ES-175, or maybe the Hagstrom 800 would be great. On the other hand I would also enjoy some new recording tools and software. We'll see :-)

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
Hmm, I am closing in on a CV tele Custom, after I finish paying off my layaway. Not must have by any means, but . . . it sure seems fun to play!

Tibernius
November 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I'm hoping to sell a few of my guitars and either swap the pickups out on my Les Paul copy, or save up for one of these:

ESP LTD Viper 407/417 7-string:
http://soundblare.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/viper_esp.jpg

Schecter C7:
http://www.guitar.co.uk/documents/2651/2651-large.jpg

I don't play the Strats and Tele anymore, and I don't have enough room for any more guitars without selling them.

On the practical and much-more-likely-to-happen side, I'm going to try the DR Tite Fit and Hi-Beam strings. I need to get some patch cables as well (I've now only got 3 working cables left).

Well...

I didn't get a 7 string. Maybe next year.
Didn't swap the pickups out on the les paul. Turns out it needs new pickups, new electronics, new tuners, a new bridge and new frets. So it's staying as it is for a while.

I did, however, get one of these:

http://hangshop.hu/shop_ordered/4095/shop_pic/co-vx4v_wp.jpg

A Cort VX-4V. Plays great, looks great (imo), sounds ok (needs new pickups) and goes out of tune if you so much as look at it. I'm after a Tremol-No for it since I hardly ever use the trem anyway, something for next year at least.

Best part? I got it 2nd hand, without a scratch on it, for less than 40% of what it goes for new. :socool

My Tele's back in rotation...stupid amount of fret buzz past the 10th fret on all of the strings but it sounds wonderful, especially considering it's got stock Squier Affinity pickups in it. :messedup:

Didn't get any more cables. Still on the list, along with a pedal board (hopefully a MonkeyDream LED (http://www.monkeydream.com/LED_lighted/monkey_board/main/products.html) one)

Tried the DR Tite Fit 10-52s on my Tempest, wasn't very impressed. Great for bends, sounded incredible, but they didn't stay in tune as long as I'd like and they didn't last very long either.
I've since started wiping my guitar strings with an old lens cleaning cloth after playing though and my strings are lasting about 5 times longer now, so I'm going to give the DR DDT 13-65s a try on it next year. If they last long enough I'll probably stick with them since I can't find the Dunlop 13s anymore.

ctguy1955
November 21st, 2010, 11:27 PM
I have an all white MIM Fender Strat 60th Diamond Edition in the Blizzard Pearl
and it plays really nice. I got a nice deal for 50 bucks on a brand new looking
MG100FX combo, and the fender sounds really great and im happy.

SORT OF.................I have GAS !!!!!!!!!!

I want to buy a 2010 Fender American Standard HSS.
I want to take off the white PG and get a really thick
single ply all black one, as so far I dont see anything but
a B/W/B 3 ply available. Change the white PUPS to black
using covers, all the knobs to black. Now I want to change the
tuners to black locking tuners, and then my final thing is I
want to install a Kahler USA hybrid 3770 (black one).

This would be my DREAM guitar. I will then take the guitar
and go to GC and plug it in to a bunch of different speaker
systems. I was going to go for the 550 deal on the MG100H
amp and 412A Cab, but I heard a small vox tube amp while at
GC, so I am going to be really careful and take my time until
I find what I want.

Thats my story, and Im sticking to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike