View Full Version : i see a friend

Childbride
January 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM
:)

tio, dude. you wandered over. very cool. :happy

come and introduce yourself to folks.

kidsmoke
January 6th, 2010, 11:38 PM
hehe, typical Texas Hospitality, Thanks CB!!

Rumors on the "other" forum of the brain trust present here got the better of me, so yep, I came on over (from WBF) to sit in and learn what I may. I can see there's a wide range of players and instruments. Looking forward to it.

*edit* just noticed the forum subtitle so I better do this right.

~A New Englander living in Chicagoland

~Love anything that makes a joyful noise - you'll find lots of instruments in my house and virtually every genre of music on my iPod

~Been playing acoustic for about 6 years, my main box is a Larrivee LV-03 with a Fishman eclipse blend.

~fell in love with an electric guitar hanging on a wall in a local shop while picking up some strings for my koostic - 2 years ago - neither my neighbors nor my bank account has managed to recover(a Washburn Idol - that brought me to another forum, and a bunch of wonderful folks) followed quickly by 2 amps, another electric, a 12'ver acoustic, a 30 yr old Dread, a bass, now? Pedals........

~Very blessed to be part of a music school community in Chicago which enables me to study music, perform in informal but challenging environments regularly, meet and listen to many of the worlds best musicians constantly. A huge part of my life.

That oughta do for now.

cheers! :beer:

~kimo

luvmyshiner
January 7th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hey Kimo, welcome aboard brother. There's a lot of good people around here who have forgotten more about guitars than I'll ever know.

FrankenFretter
January 7th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Tio! A good bunch of folks here, and mostly harmless. Post some pics of your gear, when you have time. Glad to have you here!

Robert
January 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Warm Welcome, Tio!

Monkus
January 7th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Welcome !!!! :cool:

duhvoodooman
January 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Tio! :dude :beer:

kidsmoke
January 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the Warm Welcome.

Post some pics of your gear, when you have time.

Careful What you ask for...

1988 Washburn HB-35(Japan); Stock p'up in neck, vintage SD JB-J in bridge, awesome tone, especially through my little tube amp. Just set it up for slide with 13-56 strings and high action, bought a compressor. Working on a Little Feat repertoire.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/HB-35/P1050015.jpg

2003 Washburn WI-67 Idol (Korea); SD '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge(both split), again great tones. The '59 through my Roland 30X clean does beautiful ringing singing Jazz sounds, and both through my tube give great crunch when pushed. Low action, 10's(boomers). Awesome neck, have learned so much with this guitar, brought me to the dark side and has been a wonderful teacher. VERY versatile axe.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/Idol%20worship/P1070235.jpg

1981 Washburn D60S(W) (Yamaki - Japan) solid wood Spruce top, Ovangkol back and sides (and pickguard). Solid guitar. Bone nut, brand new tusq saddle and low action have made this a great intermediate guitar. Doesn't have the resonance of a high end guitar, so an experienced player may tire of it. But as a guitar to leave the house in winter with, or take on the visit to friends, it's great, and it's gorgeous to look at. Easily worth 3-4 times what I paid, if I were to replace with a comparable new git.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/D-60%20Timber%20Ridge/P1090118.jpg

'04 Larrivee LV-03 with Fishman blend; Spruce, Mahogany b&s, ebony fingerboard. Supposedly this is built "to L5 specs" according to Larrivee Customer service. Don't know, don't care. This thing is beautiful. I could charge people to simply hug it while I hit the E string, and It brings tears to your eyes (a little dramatic...maybe) but this is the kind of guitar you interact with. I'm sure many of you with fine acoustics know exactly what I mean. I play this guitar every single day, in some way shape or form. Maybe that's why I have no decent pics....every time I look at it I play it instead...

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/P1060752.jpg

This is the other piece of gear that has had a big impact on my growth recently. A Mahaffay Little Lanilei 3350LT - it's a 1/4 watt to 50 watt all tube amp. Hand wired, custom built 6.5" speaker with an extension cab with a duplicate speaker. This thing screams. It has a standard input with 3 different gain settings, and a clean input, bypassing gain. Rolling off on the humbuckers allows for a nice clean tone, but this amp WANTS to get dirty, cranking the volume on the guitar even on the clean input gives great crunch. Use the other input and you can go all the way to Plexi tone. Set the two cabs twelve feet apart and give it volume, it holds its own on stage, particularly for soloing. Learning how to get different sounds with my guitars, splitting, rolling off, neck only, bridge only, etc....hours of wholesome entertainment. This amp, combined with my Boss RC-2 Looper has caused me to leapfrog in skill as a guitarist. I also have a Roland Cube 30X, a solid state modeling amp. The Clean channel is nice, the modeled sounds are amusing at best, especially after owning this Mahaffay.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/P1100031.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/P1100036.jpg

I also have a cheapo korean made "Lady Luck" bass and a Washburn EA20-12
which needs some work and I haven't had the opportunity to use too much...

mrmudcat
January 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
welcome

piebaldpython
January 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Welcome aboard Tio. Glad to see you visited. We have some "sliders" around here too. RESO brethren unite.

evenkeel
January 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Welcome Tio. :applause :applause

All this time and I did not know you are an ex-New Englander. Ditto, high school and college in N.H.. Then a stint in Boston/Cambridge, then Maine.

kidsmoke
January 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Hey Keel,
Yep, my NH roots run very deep. Get back there every couple of months.
Use to race Bullseyes out of Marblehead too. I'm sure we'd have lots to talk about.

marnold
January 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Welcome Tio! Any friend of Shiner is a . . . OK, any friend of ChildBride is a friend of ours. I had to qualify that just in case you might happen to be nekkid tractor guy.

kidsmoke
January 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM
awww crap, has he done that to you guys too? :thwap

I thought maybe I wouldn't see that over here.

evenkeel
January 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Welcome Tio! Any friend of Shiner is a . . . OK, any friend of ChildBride is a friend of ours. I had to qualify that just in case you might happen to be nekkid tractor guy.

Now you've done it!! :thwap Headin our way soon I'm guessin!!

Childbride
January 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM
welcome, Tio... :D

this is a friendly place with lots of knowledge.

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Welcome Tio!

luvmyshiner
January 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM
No neked tractur dood for me tonight guys, it's too damn cold outside. I'm just stayin' in tonight surfin' the interwebs.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/fat20naked20guy.jpg

Later on I'm plannin' on playing my guitar.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/wynncomedyshot2.jpg

sumitomo
January 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Welcome Tio,cool gear and finally someone has a Songworks Amph (you do know about amph's?)and I'm very glad to hear how you like them,I've been keeping my eye on those for some time now but have never heard a yay or nay.Anyways Welcome.Sumi:D

syo
January 7th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Welcome Tio!
I just checked out that Lanilei 3350 on the Mahaffay site and think I might have to pick one up. This is the fastest gas I have ever gotten. From not
"needing" any new gear to full gas within 20 minutes of reading your post is a record for me.

I'm not sure whether to thank you or not, but welcome all the same... :AOK

Brian Krashpad
January 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Welcome Tio!

That's a very avuncular moniker.

kidsmoke
January 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I've been keeping my eye on those for some time now but have never heard a yay or nay.:D

Cool little amp, no doubt, and Tris, the guys who designed it and personally builds each one, also answers the phone and his emails. Super cool guy who loves what he does, and takes a lot of time to serve the customer. Makes it all that much better.

I've been looking at a P-36, how do you like yours?

Tig
January 8th, 2010, 09:04 AM
No neked tractur dood for me tonight guys, it's too damn cold outside. I'm just stayin' in tonight surfin' the interwebs.

Ack!

Must
find
eye
wash...

help

Tig
January 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Another Texas welcome, Tio Kimo!
Very nice guitars you have there. I really like that Washburn WI-67 Idol.

sumitomo
January 8th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I've been looking at a P-36, how do you like yours?[/QUOTE]

It's a love hate relationship,It has a small neck and the 9 volt battery when it goes out so does the sound.Other than that when I plugged it in my Blues Jr.man It sounded sweet with a blend of the pups and the pezio.I gave it to my 9 yr old daughter to learn,but the only time she want's to play is when I'm jamming on it,go figure? Sumi:D:thwap

kidsmoke
January 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I plugged it in my Blues Jr.man It sounded sweet with a blend of the pups and the pezio.

The guy I'm learning slide with prefers the fender style bridge because of the individual string heigth adjustment. For that reason I was looking at a cheapo MIM tele or Strat to mess with. Then I stumbled upon the Parker and thought that may be a cool alternative. Inexpensive, but with a little more variety than a fender clone....is the basic platform solid?

sumitomo
January 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Yea it's solid,but remember with the small neck the string spacing (next to each other) is close,it might be nice to have a wider neck for slide.Sumi:D

kidsmoke
January 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
(you do know about amph's?):D

ok, I give....:help

marnold
January 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
ok, I give....:help
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403

Tig
January 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403

I never saw this one! :rollover
"My ground is pulled out of my edison cable so I get alot of scrathy sounds and every now and then I pick up radio station."

kidsmoke
January 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I've been here one day, and already I was seeing this spelling everywhere and really thought I had missed something.....

so glad I just caved in and asked.....

kidsmoke
January 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Welcome Tio!

That's a very avuncular moniker.

Si! Eso es!!

But everybody keeps calling me Uncle!! whatever, it's all good. Just happy to be part of the conversation. :rockon

Geoffrey Charles
January 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Welcome!