PDA

View Full Version : New American Deluxe

EnglishJW
January 7th, 2010, 07:33 AM
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/95304b45e0d7a3024.jpg

There it is - my first Fender at the young age of 63!

Lev
January 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Nice, I have the HSS version - Killer guitar, enjoy it!!

MAXIFUNK
January 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I have Guitar ENVY great axe enjoy!

Spudman
January 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
There it is - my first Fender at the young age of 63!

Kind of a late start but congratulations. That looks sweet!

Duff
January 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM
You definitely got a super great Fender as your first. That Deluxe sounds great if it's anything like the one I played a few weeks ago.

I just got a brand new Fender American Stratocaster sss. It sounds really good but way different than the Deluxe.

syo
January 7th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Congrats. I have the HSS version which is one of my favorites. It really is a beautiful, solid instrument. I'm sure you will be very happy together!

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Nice! Congrats!

EnglishJW
January 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I am curious as to why some of us choose SSS (myself and Duff for example) while others of us (Lev & syo) opted for HSS. Anyone willing to share some comments? My long time love of the Fender Stratocaster goes way back (I played keyboards in bands starting from the 7th grade and loved Telecasters and Jazzmasters as well). On the other hand, I would think the HSS configuration offers a host of new tonal possibilities. I never really made this comparison myself. I would love to hear from some of you who did.

marnold
January 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I prefer HSS because I don't much care for the Strat bridge tone. I much prefer a humbucker there. A Tele is a different story.

Duff
January 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
With the sss configuration you get three distinct single coil pups and get the combination of the bridge and the middle, which can be very useful and great sounding.

The single coil bridge pup on a lot of strats is hotter than the other pickup positions and really rips for blues, etc.

Plus it is sort of conventional to have the sss on a strat, whereas the HSS and HSH and HH combinations are hot rodded, superstrat versions of the typical design.

Some people want a humbucker guitar so they get the HSS.

syo
January 8th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I am curious as to why some of us choose SSS (myself and Duff for example) while others of us (Lev & syo) opted for HSS. Anyone willing to share some comments? My long time love of the Fender Stratocaster goes way back (I played keyboards in bands starting from the 7th grade and loved Telecasters and Jazzmasters as well). On the other hand, I would think the HSS configuration offers a host of new tonal possibilities. I never really made this comparison myself. I would love to hear from some of you who did.
Well for me, I already had a standard SSS so it was to try something a little different. I basically agree with Duff's comments about the differences between the configurations. I like both equally depending on my mood. To me though, the 100% "real" strat sound is SSS. BTW I would never put a humbucker in a Tele though. For some reason that strikes me as sacriligious...

kidsmoke
January 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Sweet looking Strat , English. What were you playing before this?

BTW I would never put a humbucker in a Tele though. For some reason that strikes me as sacriligious...

For the last year or so I've been pretty obsessed with Bill Frisell, who plays Jazz/Americana, and in my opinion is a guitar God, and plays MOSTLY Tele, MOSTLY with a Humbucker.

But I hear you.....Imagine lipsticks on an LP!!!

Duff
January 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM
One of my favorite guitars is my Peavey Generation EX Vintage tele that has the standard bridge type tele pup and a nickel plated humbucker in the neck. This guitar sounds really great and looks great too. It has a great feel and sound to it.

Lev
January 9th, 2010, 03:08 AM
For me the bridge pickup on a strat is probably the one I use the least. So when I bought my Deluxe I opted for a HSS so I could get a wider range of tones. Of course the 2 single coils are then wound a bit hotter to match the humbucker but I don't have any problems coaxing tradition strat tones out of this guitar. But if I have a metal moment the humbucker will do a good job on the heavier stuff too.

EnglishJW
January 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. Personally, I just tend to think of different guitars when I want a humbucker sound.