PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh! New GAS alert. Telecaster

Spudman
January 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303030500

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0303030500_md.jpg
This looks awesome. It doesn't seem that they are available in the US yet.

Unknown Fan
January 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Nice...

I'm jonesing for one of these:
http://www.fender.com/themes/products/images/prod_images/guitars/0141902306_md.jpg

MAXIFUNK
January 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM
they'll be out after NAMM Next week for sure.

Spudman
January 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I forgot to mention that it's a new Classic Vibe with an alder body.

ZMAN
January 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Just emailed my local guy. I will find out when and how much. Of course that would be for Canada. Any idea on US street price?

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Stick a maple neck on that thing, and I would be mighty tempted! I would immediately change the PG to black or tort, but looks pretty nice!

Spudman
January 7th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Stick a maple neck on that thing, and I would be mighty tempted! I would immediately change the PG to black or tort, but looks pretty nice!

The thing that I like is that the fretboard WONT have all that poly on the neck that the other Classic Vibe Tele has. That's a huge plus.

ZMAN
January 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM
My guy is away on vacation so I will have to wait a week.

MAXIFUNK
January 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM
My local dude told me Fender emailed him this week and Fender are making a USA Start & Tele for 2010 @ 799.00 and raised the Price on the Highway 1 which I was not a big fan of. USA model for $799.00 must be meant to compete with the USA Gibson Faded LP's & SG's starting @ $799.00.

MAXIFUNK
January 7th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Did you guys see this?

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303035521

OH my OH my that may have just moved to the top of the GAS LIST!! :drool

markb
January 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Squier finally do a thinline with the right scale length. Yippee!

Spudman
January 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Did you guys see this?

Uh oh! :thwap I hate when new models come out that I really want.

Lev
January 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM
My local dude told me Fender emailed him this week and Fender are making a USA Start & Tele for 2010 @ 799.00 and raised the Price on the Highway 1 which I was not a big fan of. USA model for $799.00 must be meant to compete with the USA Gibson Faded LP's & SG's starting @ $799.00.

that'd be the new American Special series.... Here's a quick preview

J5WIwx4B46c

tot_Ou_tard
January 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Did you guys see this?

OH man! & I am waiting on a standard classic vibe tele.

I had to send one back as the pups didn't work. Any advance word on the price?

I could probably still call and cancel the replacement & wait for this. ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------

300 quid in the UK:
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-classic-vibe-telecaster-thinline-electric-guitar--70631

$380 US

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCVTNAT/

Tig
January 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Sweetwater has the new Squier Tele's up on their site.
No exact availability date yet. A few different GAS pic's, too.

Both will be $379.99 at Sweetwater.

Classic Vibe Telecaster® Thinline (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCVTNAT)
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/TeleCVTNAT-large.jpg

Squier® Classic Vibe Telecaster® Custom (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCVC3SB)
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeup/750-TeleCVC3SB_beauty.jpg

oldguy
January 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Those are so pretty.................:drool

Gil Janus
January 9th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I love the Custom. I might have to investigate that one some more.

I've been busy with family matters for months, and what do I see when I start looking at guitar sites again - but more GAS inducing Squiers!

Gil :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
January 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I'm sticking with the standard pine solidbody as that should be sent as soon as MF receives the one with the bunk pups.

I can't wait to hear reviews on the thinline. Somebody buy one.

ZMAN
January 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I don't know how Squier gets into my head for their guitar ideas. First it was the Classic Vibe 50s, now the Classic vibe custom tele. My guy gets back from vacation on Monday. I will be ordering one then.
This would be my first tele. What do you guys think about the 3 saddles vs the 6 saddles.

MAXIFUNK
January 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM
that'd be the new American Special series.... Here's a quick preview

J5WIwx4B46c

Thanks I just found this link today myself on fender.com.

BTW- great playing in your VIds! :applause :dude

Lev
January 12th, 2010, 02:46 AM
BTW- great playing in your VIds! :applause :dude

Thank you kindly

ZMAN
January 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Well I have one on order. My local guy is getting a couple into his shop. I have dibs on the first one. He didn't have a Canadian price but figures it will be in the 379 range. He mentioned the intonation does not stay in as good with the 3 saddle bridge, but he said it wouldn't be a big problem to retrofit a 6 saddle bridge. I will let you guys know when I get it. ETA is a couple of weeks.
I was comparing my CV50s Strat to a couple of my Strats and man those pickups are sweet. I can only hope they are as nice on the Tele.

Spudman
January 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Well I have one on order. My local guy is getting a couple into his shop. I have dibs on the first one. He didn't have a Canadian price but figures it will be in the 379 range. He mentioned the intonation does not stay in as good with the 3 saddle bridge, but he said it wouldn't be a big problem to retrofit a 6 saddle bridge. I will let you guys know when I get it. ETA is a couple of weeks.
I was comparing my CV50s Strat to a couple of my Strats and man those pickups are sweet. I can only hope they are as nice on the Tele.

Dood! You're a dog. It's like the race is on now.

Not. I'm going to wait until people start selling their pine CVs and then grab one of those cheap. :cool:

ZMAN
January 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I had one of the first CV50s Strats up here. My local guy is pretty close with the Fender Rep, being a Custom Shop dealer. They get heads up on most of the new stuff. I know it isn't as quick as MF, or the big online guys down there but I am usually pretty lucky with this stuff. I asked him to get me one of the deluxes and he got both colors. I then was ble to get two more of the Pearl ones for friends.
I never could find one of the CV Pine teles in stock anywhere though. I really wasnt looking for one.

ZMAN
January 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Uh oh. Sombody got one already. The pictures are to die for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a link to over on the TDPRI:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/194350-cv-tele-custom-arrived.html

sumitomo
January 14th, 2010, 11:11 PM
That is SWEET! Looks like something Cornell Dupree or Steve Cropper might have owned,classic.Sumi:D

Robert
January 14th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Makes me wonder, who the heck will be buying Fender teles when the Squier teles are so awesome? Is Fender cutting their own throat with these awesome cheapos?

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Hmm, looks nice, but I tend to like teles without binding on the body. I mean, a tele is supposed to be a slab of wood with a neck attached basically, isn't it? So yes, it looks nice, but I think I will choose a different tele when I am ready. Just my opinion about what teles should be like. My ideal would look like this:

cmOugQl_6KU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmOugQl_6KU

Gonna go play me some strat blues now. . . :AOK

M29
January 15th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I likeum raw too Steve. :socool

ZMAN
January 15th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Bring on the Bling. I like it just for the sake of the dings. I think it makes the guitar looked finished.
Robert you are very correct. I almost bought a used 52 reissue, but when I saw the CV tele I thought it can't get any better than that.

Tig
January 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Squier put up an new, larger picture...
Wow, this might just do it for my Tele needs. They should sell a ba'zillion of these!
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0303030500_xl.jpg

ZMAN
January 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
It's here! I just got an email that they came in a half hour ago. I am on my way to check out the Tele. He is going to check it out and see if the Six saddle bridge will fit nicely and if so I will get it changed when he sets her up.
If not I will hold off until someone comes up with a bolt up replacement, form the aftermarket.

Update: I brought the guitar home and I it is really a sweet looking guitar.
I will try the 3 saddle set up, but so far I am not liking it.
He said the Fender 6 saddle bridge will fit perfectly. So it may be going back
for an upgrade.

MAXIFUNK
January 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
It's here! I just got an email that they came in a half hour ago. I am on my way to check out the Tele. He is going to check it out and see if the Six saddle bridge will fit nicely and if so I will get it changed when he sets her up.
If not I will hold off until someone comes up with a bolt up replacement, form the aftermarket.

Update: I brought the guitar home and I it is really a sweet looking guitar.
I will try the 3 saddle set up, but so far I am not liking it.
He said the Fender 6 saddle bridge will fit perfectly. So it may be going back
for an upgrade.

You lucky Stiff I have guitar ENVY!!! LOL

Enjoy, I to also hate the old Bridge so if the swap out works that would be very cool to know!. Congrats :applause :AOK

ZMAN
January 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
Ii played it for a while and it is not bad. The action is a little high. This is my first tele, and I am surprised that the toggle switch is very close to the volume control in the bridge position. I have never heard anyone complain about that though.
The alnico 3 pickups sound pretty good and I tried it through my Marshall and my Fender 65 Deluxe. It sounded a lot better through the Fender.
It is an absolutely beautiful guitar and I love the fit and finish on it. Absolutely flawless. Great vintage tinted neck and the Fretboard is really well done.
I took some pictures but the flash washes out the grain. I will take some better ones in natural light.
I am kind of pissed that Fender doesn't have any tags or anything in the box.
We opened two of them today and neither had anything.
Mine has a set of D'Addario strings on it and I think they changed them before I got there. My tech knows I like them.
A little higher price here in Canada at 389 but well worth it.
Yesterday I was going through my guitar closet and found a Deluxe Fender Gig bag, that was empty. I think I traded the guitar and kept the bag.
So far so good and I will be putting up a video like Robert's on youtube.
NOT. Just kidding. You will have to take my word for it. It is over all a really nice guitar, and looks more like a 2000 dollar guitar all day long.
I personally don't like the 3 saddle bridge and I have ordered the Fender 6 saddle tele bridge for it. I will let you know how that turns out.

MAXIFUNK
January 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM
@ ZMAN keep us posted sounds fantastic!!!!

UGH AND I SAID NO NEW GUITARS IN 2010..............................

Spudman
January 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Ii played it for a while and it is not bad. The action is a little high. This is my first tele, and I am surprised that the toggle switch is very close to the volume control in the bridge position. I have never heard anyone complain about that though.

I have.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2351&highlight=telecaster+controls

ZMAN
January 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM
Unfortunatley, I only found this site in 2008 so I missed a lot. This is my first tele and I wasn't sure if it was just me.
Believe it or not I have heard guys complain about hitting the switches on both the Les Paul and Strat while strumming. Not much of a strummer so I always thought they were crazy.
Those chrome knurled knobs are huge. and the switch tip is very industrial. That shows the engineer side of Leo Fender. Like any guitar it will take some getting used to but so far I am warming up to it quite nicely.
I am already thinking of changing the bridge and you don't want to destroy the 50s vibe it is going for.

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
I have hit my strat switch whilst strumming, but I figured that was newbie lack of control and over strumming. It does not happen very often now. Hmm, get a strat and mod it, get a tele and mod it. Hmm.

tjcurtin1
January 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Makes me wonder, who the heck will be buying Fender teles when the Squier teles are so awesome? Is Fender cutting their own throat with these awesome cheapos?

Actually, they may be crazy like a fox. Think about it - who are probably buying many of these guitars?:

- guys like me who don't feel we're good enough players to spend big bucks on even a MIM Fender, but we're being coaxed into something costing considerably more than a standard Squier with the CV's;

- guys like some of you who have a number of gits, including perhaps MIMs and American Fenders, who might not see spending big bucks for another of what they already have, but are being enticed to add one of these 'awesome cheapos' to the collection.

- anyone else caught up in the buzz about the CV's who won't be able to resist buying one.

They must be selling like proverbial hotcakes - many shops around here didn't have any on hand, having sold them - I was told that the teles were particularly hard to come by, (and that it had been a big year for Tele sales generally).

ZMAN
January 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM
My guy had two. One lasted about 3 hours. I talked to him at about 1 pm and he said they had just come off the truck. I was there by 4 and bought it.
They unpacked the other one as I was standing there a guy who had seen me put mine in the gig bag said hey let me see that.
Probably gone as well. I asked specifically for one and he held it for me. That is about the only way you can get one. Other than the online dealers.
Having owned 3 of the more recent Squier issues, including the CV50s strat I knew I would be getting a good guitar.
Once I get it set up to my liking she will be a show stopper for sure.

Tig
January 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Having owned 3 of the more recent Squier issues, including the CV50s strat I knew I would be getting a good guitar.
Once I get it set up to my liking she will be a show stopper for sure.

Congratulations on the new addition! My next guitar will certainly be of the Strat persuasion, and the CV's fit my needs and budget.

I'm still not sure if I'll go with the 50's or 60's CV Strat. The spec sheets show them to be exactly the same except for the 50's have Alnico 3's and the 60's have Alnico 5's. Any personal experience with comparing the two would be welcome. Anyone? Bueller...?

sunvalleylaw
January 22nd, 2010, 09:22 AM
No personal experience, but there is a vid online at youtube (there is a thread here somewhere linking it) where a guy has one of each. My ear liked the 60s, and they seem closer in tone to the tex mex pups in my strat. Most folks here did not agree with me and seemed to go with the 50s for that more classic vintage tone.

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
All I can say is that the 50s has everyting you would want in a Strat. Great looks, great feel,and the maple neck and fretboard. The alnico 3s are really amazing pickups. They do sound like my buddies 70s American Strat.
Mellow yet punchy. I did a comparison with seveal of my strats, Tex Mex, Alnico 5s, SD, and SCNs in a MIA Deluxe, and the CV sounded the best.
I personally don't like roswood boards on strats, and the tort guard is not my favourite.

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Oh and it did happen. I have the proof.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1220281.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1220282.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1220284.jpg

MAXIFUNK
January 22nd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Zman sweet axe!

Spudman
January 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
What's the serial number start with on that Zman? Did you get one after the recall?

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Yes mine is the one without the negative flux capacitor. They were faulty in the first issue.

Spudman
January 22nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Yes mine is the one without the negative flux capacitor. They were faulty in the first issue.

Good comeback. But seriously, does the neck move much. :cool:

sumitomo
January 22nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
The neck didn't move on mine,even after I beat up the T.V. with it.Sumi:D

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
it doesn't move at all, why do you ask?

Spudman
January 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
it doesn't move at all, why do you ask?
No reason in particular. Just something I heard about those guitars already.

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
This one was checked over by the tech at the shop. He even changed the strings. If there was any loosness on the neck he would have noticed it.

Spudman
January 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
This one was checked over by the tech at the shop. He even changed the strings. If there was any loosness on the neck he would have noticed it.

It's at this point that I go..........got ya! :rolleyes: :bravo: :yum

I'm just insanely jealous so I had to give you a hard time. I know that you are really going to enjoy that guitar.

ps - let me know when you get ready to dump the powder blue Strat.:AOK

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
I kind of figured that. I was playing the Tele again tonight and I may be able to live with this bridge. I just have to lower the action. I couldn't find an allen key that fit real quick but I will look tomorrow.
I was playing the Daphne tonight. It has quite a nice set of pickups. That one has 9 D'Addarios, compared tot he 9.5s on the White Pearl.
Every time I take it out it looks better and better.

tjcurtin1
January 22nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
ZMAN - please go away! I think that this tele is pure beauty and...... and I just can't go there!!!!! Who said something about Squier reading their mind? Not that I had pictured this before, but it looks so right to me. Congrats and enjoy!

tjcurtin1
January 22nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
No personal experience, but there is a vid online at youtube (there is a thread here somewhere linking it) where a guy has one of each. My ear liked the 60s, and they seem closer in tone to the tex mex pups in my strat. Most folks here did not agree with me and seemed to go with the 50s for that more classic vintage tone.

FWIW, out of curiosity, I just measured the pickup heights on my Fully with the GFS Vintage pups (alnico 5) and those on the CV 50's using a metal ruler, and was surprised to note how much more pull the GFS magnets had in comparison - a big difference.

MAXIFUNK
January 22nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
ok after looking again that its I have to get one of those!

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
ok after looking again that its I have to get one of those!

It is just like a car crash you don't want to look but you just have to!

I found an allen key that fit this morning, and I lowered the action about 1.5 turns across the board. There are six adjusting screws, I turned them all equally and it didn't affect the intonation. No buzzing so far and everything is dead on. I have been reading about the 3 saddle bridge and apparently it gives more sustain. The brass saddles work even better according to Jerry Donahue.
The neck on this guitar (despite Spudmans comments) is very nice. The fretboard is very dark, and is really smooth almost like an ebony. Frets are really nice and very level. The tint on the maple is pure vintage. Also it stays in tune very well. The pickups are really nice. The middle and the bridge position are probably the best the neck is more for rythm playing, but turned up loud she has some punch.
Not as heavy as it expected. It is probably the same weight as my Deluxes.
Fortunately it just keeps getting better and better. I have searched this guitar from top to bottom and I can not find a flaw. All I can say is that if they are this good out of China for that money, US and MIM Tele sales will be way off this year.

Tig
January 23rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Fortunately it just keeps getting better and better. I have searched this guitar from top to bottom and I can not find a flaw. All I can say is that if they are this good out of China for that money, US and MIM Tele sales will be way off this year.

After years of garbage products of every kind coming from China, they suddenly surprise us with high quality? All I can say is, thankfully, it showed up in affordable guitars!!! :AOK

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hey Tig over on the Squier forum you mentioned the compensated brass saddles. I looked on a couple of sites and I couldn't find the ones you are showing. What distributor are they from.
I had ordered a 6 saddle and after the tweaking I think I will stick with the 3 saddle. If my tech gets stuck with the order I will take it and maybe try it down the road.

t_ross33
January 23rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Try this (http://store.guitarfetish.com/wicotebrbrsa.html). I dropped this into my Squier Vintage Mod Tele - nice upgrade from the stock 6-saddle bridge.

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
I was looking at those. How was the fit?
BTW Got gas pains?
Take two Squiers and call me in the morning.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1230289.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1230291-1.jpg

t_ross33
January 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
I was looking at those. How was the fit?

Dropped right in, everything lined up the way it's supposed to. Even the string-thru holes - YMMV, but for only $30 plus shipping it'd be worth trying out.

Nice looking guitars ya got there :AOK

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
I kind of figured that. I was playing the Tele again tonight and I may be able to live with this bridge. I just have to lower the action. I couldn't find an allen key that fit real quick but I will look tomorrow.
I was playing the Daphne tonight. It has quite a nice set of pickups. That one has 9 D'Addarios, compared tot he 9.5s on the White Pearl.
Every time I take it out it looks better and better.
If your's is like my CV tele. The allen key is taped & hidden in the box..go look.

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2010, 09:25 PM
I picked mine up from a dealer. I asked him to see if it had any hang tags or anything else in the box. They looked and even opened another one to see if there was anything. I found one in my MIM Strat that fits. I am pretty sure my CV Strat had it taped to the box as well.
Got it adjusted and it plays really nice.

Tig
January 24th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hey Tig over on the Squier forum you mentioned the compensated brass saddles. I looked on a couple of sites and I couldn't find the ones you are showing. What distributor are they from.
I had ordered a 6 saddle and after the tweaking I think I will stick with the 3 saddle. If my tech gets stuck with the order I will take it and maybe try it down the road.

Sorry for the late reply.
Check them out here:
http://www.specialtyguitars.com/bridges/bridgeparts.html

MAXIFUNK
February 4th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I had a chance to lay hands on both of the new tele's tonight.

CV wins at that price point and the sound and craftsmanship of that guitar

The CV neck was really nice pickups sound great very old school tone.
Looks even better in person than any pic could show. I can easily say it is better made and sounding the CV 50's pine tele.

Amer. Spec. Tele

Once again another well crafted guitar the neck was fantastic pickups sound great too. I could not find anything about this guitar I did not like.
IMHO it had better bridge, neck, & pups than the CV but not $400.00 better.
If you want a American made Tele I would recommended it with out any qualms at all.

BUT with that said The CV Custom Tele is such a sweet axe it was hard for me too see why anyone would buy the AMSP Tele over it. They are so close to one another in sound, looks, playability, & craftsmanship that I would buy the Thinline and the Custom for the price of the American Special any day of the week.

But no matter which one someone buys they will get a very good guitar they'll like if not love for years to come.

sumitomo
February 4th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I know exactly what your saying!and it still blows my mind and I'm glad I bought one.It is going to be tough to buy another guitar and feel like I am getting a great deal after this,I feel like they miss boxed a more expensive model.Sumi:D

ZMAN
February 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I know exactly what your saying!and it still blows my mind and I'm glad I bought one.It is going to be tough to buy another guitar and feel like I am getting a great deal after this,I feel like they miss boxed a more expensive model.Sumi:D

I had the exact thing happen to me when I first bought my CV 50s Strat.
I ordered it in and the manager called me to say it was in. I went to pick it up and took an empty case. He gave me the guitar and I went to check out and the owner had to call the manager up front to make sure the price was right on the guitar. I think the same of my CV tele Custom as well.

Tig
February 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Demo'ed the Classic Vibe Telecaster® Thinline (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCVTNAT) yesterday at my favorite local independent shop yesterday, and it was incredible! From the tuners to the neck, pup's, body and bridge, this was as close to perfect as I've seen for a Tele under $1000. Even the factory setup was spot on. Oh, and did I mention how beautiful it was? Better then the online photos I've seen so far.

The only thing that sucked (other than my playing) was that I was there to demo several of their CV Strat's instead! Also, they didn't have the Squier® Classic Vibe Telecaster® Custom (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCVC3SB) in yet.

Seriously, if I wasn't so determined to buy a Strat, I would have been overcome with Tele GAS and would be explaining the Mrs Tig why I bought myself a new guitar right before Valentine's Day! :help

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/TeleCVTNAT-large.jpg

ZMAN
February 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Tig: You just have to buy the guitar, then go to the local shoe emporium and buy a gift certificate for your wife. Tell her the certificate came with the guitar, and you just had to buy it for her, Happy Valentines day dear!

Tig
February 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Tig: You just have to buy the guitar, then go to the local shoe emporium and buy a gift certificate for your wife. Tell her the certificate came with the guitar, and you just had to buy it for her, Happy Valentines day dear!

She's not a shoe-aholic, so I'm lucky about that. However, I am shopping for a nice heart-shaped diamond necklace this week, :luvit in preparation for a NGD next week!

See, I know how to run a guitar buying business from home.
:agree

Geraint Jones
February 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
How does the CV thinline compare with the Mex `72 reissue thinline, I`m thinking of getting one or the other in the near future [the `72 from ebay probably] , I just don`t have the guitar store near that will have both in .

ZMAN
February 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
She's not a shoe-aholic, so I'm lucky about that. However, I am shopping for a nice heart-shaped diamond necklace this week, :luvit in preparation for a NGD next week!

See, I know how to run a guitar buying business from home.
:agree

I bought my wife a lovely diamond necklace, and it looks great in her jewel box. She would rather have the shoes.
She has her hobbies and I have mine. Of course my hobbies cost 20 times what her's does but who's counting.

Tig
February 9th, 2010, 04:01 PM
How does the CV thinline compare with the Mex `72 reissue thinline, I`m thinking of getting one or the other in the near future [the `72 from ebay probably] , I just don`t have the guitar store near that will have both in .

I can't say anything about the MiM '72 Thinline, since I've never played one. If possible, try the CV Thinline and you'll know right away if it suits you or not. I'm betting it just might.

Even if the 72 Reissue is a little better, is it really $400 better? That's a question only you can answer. Personally, these two new CV's are so nice, I see no reason to go with the Fenders unless I gotta have the best and money is no object. That means Custom Shop, and not American Standards or MiM's.

Geraint Jones
February 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I must admit I`ve got the Roadhouse Strat which is MiM and I think its fantastic to play , I could get the CV thinline for £320 new or pick a used '72 thinline for about £450 , I`ve already got a USA Tele and like the idea of the humbuckers, at this point I`ve played neither though and it may take a bit of travelling just to get my hands one to try it out.

tot_Ou_tard
February 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Tig was the thinline muddy at all?

sumitomo
February 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hey ToT Guitarfetish has some cool mini buckers that would fit great in the neck of these CV teles.Sumi:D

Tig
February 9th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Tig was the thinline muddy at all?

Not muddy at all. It had plenty of twang, and the pickups had a vintage sound to my ears, but enough gain for a wide range of tones. Also, I liked how the bridge pickup wasn't too brittle, like some or the MiM Tele's I've played in the past.

MAXIFUNK
February 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Tig,

I am seriously thinking about breaking my rule for 2010 NO NEW GUITARS!!!!!
So, on a scale of 1 to 10 with price, quality, sounds, etc etc etc what would you rate the Thinline?

Tig
February 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Tig,

I am seriously thinking about breaking my rule for 2010 NO NEW GUITARS!!!!!
So, on a scale of 1 to 10 with price, quality, sounds, etc etc etc what would you rate the Thinline?

Tell ya what... I'm gonna' do you a favor and rate it a 1, or maybe a 1.5. :wave: There, now you can sleep tonight, knowing that you didn't miss out!

OK, seriously, if you have been Jones'in for a Thinline, this would be a really good way to go. I can't think of anything I'd change, unless you like brass saddles over the stock chrome ones, or maybe if it had a tinted neck. The Alnico V's pickups had all the Tele goodness without being too wimpy or brittle. I really didn't want to put her down and leave the store.

Price 10 (so much quality for so little money, well good luck with your willpower)

Quality 9 (The neck/fret board was near-perfect and everything, including the knobs and tuners were solid, with no blemishes in the finish)

Sound 9 (I loved the acoustic volume I got just tuning it)

Appearance 9 (This guitar makes my top 5 Tele's as far as looks. My number 1 is the Merle Haggard Signature, 2nd or 3rd is between the 1950s Telecaster Thinline NOS or many the 3-Color Sunburst Tele's, and the red Jim Adkins JA-90 is maybe 4th)

So, what are you gonna' call your new Thinline? :poke :D

sumitomo
February 10th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Oh no I can hear it now MOM! Dad got a new guitar! D'oh! shut up are you trying to get me castrated!Sumi:D

MAXIFUNK
February 10th, 2010, 04:08 PM
So, what are you gonna' call your new Thinline? :poke :D

I already played the CV Tele custom and was sold on it.
I have been wanting a semi -hollow guitar for ever!

I guess I'll name her Tiggy LOL
Thanks for the info I think I'll have them order me one tonight.
I'll keep you posted in case I chicken out. LOL

MAXIFUNK
February 10th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Oh no I can hear it now MOM! Dad got a new guitar! D'oh! shut up are you trying to get me castrated!Sumi:D

Truer words have never been spoken LOL

tot_Ou_tard
February 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I have been wanting a semi -hollow guitar for ever!

Are thinlines really semi-hollow? I thought that they just had a chamber under the f-hole and were not hollowed out on the treble side. Maybe this is a matter of sematics.

Can you get one to sound like a 335?

Tig
February 10th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Truer words have never been spoken LOL

Hey, I guess I can take some of the blame for twisting your arm.
Nah, you were already sold on it. I just reminded you that it's a worthy purchase. :AOK
Oh, and I take all major credit cards...

MAXIFUNK
February 11th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Are thinlines really semi-hollow? I thought that they just had a chamber under the f-hole and were not hollowed out on the treble side. Maybe this is a matter of sematics.

Can you get one to sound like a 335?

I doubt it 335 has much more body and air and humbuckers.
I am just hoping for some type of semi-hollow sound and vibe with the classic tele tone.

MAXIFUNK
February 11th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Hey, I guess I can take some of the blame for twisting your arm.
Nah, you were already sold on it. I just reminded you that it's a worthy purchase. :AOK
Oh, and I take all major credit cards...

They are going to look into ordering it in the AM.
An your right I was sold on it sight unseen you just verified my thought.
Thanks buddy for the support of tone and GAS. LOL

tot_Ou_tard
February 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I doubt it 335 has much more body and air and humbuckers.
I am just hoping for some type of semi-hollow sound and vibe with the classic tele tone.
Sounds good to me. I want one.

MAXIFUNK
February 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM
They ordered the ThinLine for me today!
I can not wait to get my hands on it.

Update will follow!

tjcurtin1
March 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Saw an old friend at a show the other night - he's a life-long working guitarist, but not a gear-head and never cares to talk about gear - all the stuff he has he has had for years. Th first words out of his mouth, excitedly, were, "Have you heard about the CV Squiers?! My wife just got me the tele for my birthday and I can't put it down. I've hardly touched my electrics for the past twelve years, and I play this thing two hours every morning - you can't believe what you get for under $400 - I like it better than the $2000 tel that was at the shop; my friend over there (another long-time player) got the strat."

I'd guess that neither of those guys was in the market for another electric, period - but they went for the CV's. I bet Fender is selling thousands in similar circumstances.

Of course, it all made me want to go out and get myself a CV tele.....:what :help