PDA

View Full Version : So whaddya think?

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Outright scam, stolen item, or abject seller stupidity? 'Cuz this sure looks like an AC30 with Celestion Alnico Blues in it. But I'm no Vox expert and the guy doesn't even mention a model designation. But the price seems low by a factor of 5 or 10!

http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1541757658.html

Algonquin
January 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'm with you on the suspicion factor DVM... something doesn't add up here. If I paid $400 used, I'd be looking for something close to that, and if new (doubt it)... would be asking about 75% of new. Proceed with caution if you do.

Commodore 64
January 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
The speakers alone are worth probably 300 used, if they are Alnico blues. If seller is close, I'd say go look at it.

M29
January 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
On a quick look those are not alnico blues, they look like ceramic speakers to me.

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM
On a quick look those are not alnico blues, they look like ceramic speakers to me.
Yeah, I wondered about that. They didn't look like the Alnico Blue photos I'd seen. But even with ceramic Celestions, a fully functional AC30 in decent shape is worth at least 3 - 4 times what he's asking. Just smells way fishy.....

This amp posted yesterday, and I would think that if it's legit, it's long gone by now. But maybe I should check it out, because the location is just a couple of miles from me.

M29
January 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hello Vood,

If it is located that close to where you live I would be beating a path over there. See if the guy can show a recipe so you know it is not stolen and try it out and maybe pull the rear panel to see if anything has been modified. It may be legit there are a ton of people loosing their stuff right now (a sad shame it is this way) but it should go fast.
I have two Blues in my cabs and those are not blues but like you say it is a good deal with ceramics although somewhat fishy. Like David says proceed with caution. :AOK

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hello Vood,

If it is located that close to where you live I would be beating a path over there. See if the guy can show a recipe so you know it is not stolen and try it out and maybe pull the rear panel to see if anything has been modified. It may be legit there are a ton of people loosing their stuff right now (a sad shame it is this way) but it should go fast.
I have two Blues in my cabs and those are not blues but like you say it is a good deal with ceramics although somewhat fishy. Like David says proceed with caution. :AOK

I'm with M29 here. I would say check it out. Some people are unfortunately dumping stuff. I just saw in the Boise Craigslist a Vox AD30VT, along with a Squire 51 for $200. I bet if I waived $150 to $175 cash I could take it home. Elderly has a used one for $175, so even at $200, it would be like getting a Squire 51 for $25.

You never know. This could be just a good deal. Might be worth checking out anyway, with eyes wide open.

Commodore 64
January 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'm about to make a 10 hour drive to check it out if you don't!

ZMAN
January 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I told most of my guitar buddies up here in Canada to wait until early 2010, for some amazing bargains in the used area. A lot of guys have unemployment insurance, and other back ups, but the down turn had a lot of people out at the same time. In a month or so all of this will come to a head. The economy is picking up but not fast enough. When you need money for the mortgage and there isn't a lot of money around for guitars and amps, prices will dive. I have already seen a JCM 2000 DSL 50 with a 1960a cab for 800 locally.
Vox recently made an amp similar to the AC30 made in China. The vox AC50CP2. That might be what it is. They were in the 600 range up here in Canada.

markb
January 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
It's a VOX Cambridge 30 twin. A grown up version of the quite nice Pathfinder practice amp. I think there's a preamp valve in there somewhere. The price is probably about right.

Spudman
January 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Mark got it. It's not an AC30. AC30 does not have a headphone jack and the ad says his has one.

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
It's a VOX Cambridge 30 twin. A grown up version of the quite nice Pathfinder practice amp. I think there's a preamp valve in there somewhere. The price is probably about right.

Mark got it. It's not an AC30. AC30 does not have a headphone jack and the ad says his has one.
Thank you both! I won't waste my time then. Looked a lot like an AC30 to my unpracticed eye, since I'm not familar with many of these older Vox models.

Perfect Stranger
January 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
It's a good price on one, but certainly not outrageously cheap. Looks like the real deal to me.

Tig
January 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
On any Craigslist purchases, always use your street smarts. Just a few things for us all to consider:

I saw a posting a few months ago about people getting robbed when they showed up with several hundred dollars (or more) to buy guitars. Go for the busy public location to meet a seller when possible.

Also, if something is stolen and you have no receipt for your purchase that has the seller's name, etc., you could be charged with "possession of stolen property", depending on your state's laws.

tunghaichuan
January 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Kind of off on a tangent, but be aware of the "hand-wired" Voxes out there. They are hand-wired, but on a PCB and manufactured in China. Not necessarily a bad amp, but the term "hand-wired" on these amps is kind of misleading, IMHO.

tung