PDA

View Full Version : Replaced a wing

Spudman
January 10th, 2010, 03:25 AM
And now we are flying again.

We broke in a new bass player this weekend. He did a great job considering that he had about 3 days to learn 45 songs, and work a high stress administrative job in a hospital, deal with the wife and kids and a psychotic German shepherd. :applause

We played a local bar that I have us booked in about every 4 weeks. The crowd was steady but not robust both nights. Turns out it's in between pay days and people weren't out spending. Still, we kept the folks entertained that were there. I also got 3 potential gigs from the weekend. Two are with the local motorcycle club and one is from a new club opening soon. :AOK

The best compliment came from the bartender and manager. She said she likes us because we don't play the same stuff everyone else plays. That's what I wanted to hear. I get tired of bands always doing the same old stuff too and I'm attempting to carve a niche for ourselves as being something different. The owner's wife stayed almost the whole night too dancing and boogieing in her seat to the music.

The drummer had a set of mini strokes on New Years weekend. He didn't know what happened until we got back home from the New Years gig either. I've been worried that he's going to expire or have to be rushed to the hospital during gigs so I have the rhythm section from the country band I fill in with on standby. He's off to Salt Lake City for some testing at the VA hospital next week and if he is feeling good enough will be playing next weekend. If not I'll use the other guys.

Either way I have my butt covered. See kids, this is some of the joys of being the leader of a band. And yes...I still have some hair left. (don't say a word SVL):cool:

street music
January 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Spud sounds great! We haven't been able to have our Front Porch Pickin since before Christmas because of bad weather. I miss being out playing with the strings with others.
Glad you got all ends covered, that's a good leadership.

Spudman
January 10th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Glad you got all ends covered, that's a good leadership.

Ha ha. I wish. It's more like desperation.
It does get frustrating having to work with flakes though and probably like any business it takes time and effort to weed them out. I'm really happy the old bass player is gone. Although he could play very well and was quick to learn he was quite socially inept.

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2010, 10:49 AM
(don't say a word SVL):cool:
Huh, what are you talking about??? :crazyguy

evenkeel
January 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Good on ya Spud. Sounds like part guitar player, part manager and a whole lot of Dr. Phil going on.

Kudos for keepin' the ball rolling. :applause :applause

sumitomo
January 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Wow! this is going to be an awesome movie! Sumi:D

kidsmoke
January 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
She said she likes us because we don't play the same stuff everyone else plays. That's what I wanted to hear. I get tired of bands always doing the same old stuff too and I'm attempting to carve a niche for ourselves as being something different.

Just curious, what are you playing?

~kimo

Spudman
January 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Just curious, what are you playing?

~kimo
Most of this
http://www.box.net/shared/fqcpzj1h18

All the rest of the area bands are still playing the same 80s/90s rock and metal that they've been playing for decades.

kidsmoke
January 10th, 2010, 05:45 PM
That's a great song list, spud. I can see the appeal. You must have some pretty sweet vocalists as well.:AOK

Are you playing Idaho? There's a guy from Idaho who's been making waves here in Chicago for a while. Good buddy of mine. Named his band after Dolly Varden, for the double entendre.

http://stevedawsonmusic.com/
http://www.dollyvarden.com/

Spudman
January 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
That's a great song list, spud. I can see the appeal. You must have some pretty sweet vocalists as well.:AOK

Just me and a Digitech VL4. It's hard to find players that will sing so I just said the heck with it and went the technology route. Perfect harmonies every time.

I am playing Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. I've never heard of Steve Dawson but his music sounds good. He's not from around here.

kidsmoke
January 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
He's not from around here.

Yep, Grew up in Hailey, in the Sawtooth. Started playing out as a kid, went to Berkeley in Boston. Talented Dude.

Cool stuff man. Must have to log a lot of miles in that part of the country.

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Yep, Grew up in Hailey, in the Sawtooth. Started playing out as a kid, went to Berkeley in Boston. Talented Dude.

Cool stuff man. Must have to log a lot of miles in that part of the country.

Hmm, I have lived in Hailey since '98, but did not run across him. That does not mean much though. I will have to look him up. Spud, glad the plans B and C are providing some paths that work.

kidsmoke
January 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I don't know the details of the timeline, but he was in Boston in the late 80's, so long gone by then. He's been in Chicago now for 20-ish years.

Not too often you come across Idaho guitar slingers singing about Shoshone! Kind of sticks in your memory!

Spudman
January 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Not too often you come across Idaho guitar slingers singing about Shoshone! Kind of sticks in your memory!

I've got a song about a stripper in Twin Falls.

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Yikes! Blue Lakes is for Lovers?!

Spudman
January 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Yikes! Blue Lakes is for Lovers?!

This was more like the "Addison outback" and there weren't any 'lovers' to speak of. Just a stripper, a bachelor and some drunk guys.

kidsmoke
January 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Spud, I'd made a mental note before to take a few minutes and check out your tunes, finally got around to it.

WOW. Nice work man! really, sounds great. Day of the falcon...great jam.

You've got quite a gear list....(this may be old hat for most here on the forum) what does your basic performance rig consist of? Sounds like a heavy strung Strat...is that mostly on the middle/neck? I'm just getting introduced to the Strat myself.

Spudman
January 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Spud, I'd made a mental note before to take a few minutes and check out your tunes, finally got around to it.

WOW. Nice work man! really, sounds great.

Thanks TK.
I take a 1x12 combo amph to gigs (HRDX, Delta, V22). If I'm using the M13 and it's a local gig I'll take 2 amphs and run in stereo. I always start the night with a Strat but have a humbucker guitar on tap just in case I want a change. Last night was a Les Paul. Other times it's an Ibanez SCR220 or SA220 or ART300. Otherwise I take 3 Squier Strats to the gig (not all at the same time). I use a Deluxe with Duncan Designed pups, or the Classic Vibe 50s or my Korean with Lace Sensors (awesome sounds).

I string everything with 10-46 and tune down 1/2 step because I sing 40 or more songs per night.

You may have noticed I changed the name of the song so that I wouldn't get busted for copyright infringement.:cool: Glad you liked the tunes.
Don't know if you've checked these out or not
http://www.myspace.com/stevesullivan88
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=497122

Spudman
January 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Now that Pete, the new bass playe,r has had another week to learn the material he has really stepped up to the plate. He sounded really good last night and knew the keys and arrangements very well. A little homework goes a long way.

Another rhythm section I've worked with came in for the first two sets. They were very surprised. They thought it sounded great. I guess they thought we'd sound like the rest of the local bands. I'm sure glad we don't. The drummer sat in for two songs and it was hard going back to my regular drummer.