PDA

View Full Version : Old Fret Netter

Matt
January 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Hello all, its been a long long time since I was last on here - 1416 days if my profile is correct! So I thought I would re-aquaint myself with the guys on here, although I've been following Robert's progress for ages.

I'm Matt, a student now in York Uni, UK. Ive been playing guitar for 6 years and pretty much love most genre's of music.

When I first joined this forum I was pretty awful. I like to think I've got a lot better :) I used to have a Vox AD50VT, Bad Monkey and Squier 51, the classic Rob combo, but I have now moved on and gone through a lot of guitar and amps and finally have a set up I'm happy with (for now)- except for pedals. I can't get enough of them and go through them too easily. My favourite thing at the mo is building BYOC kits (as does Duhvoodooman it seems), although I only have one I use often.

Anyhow, its good to be back :AOK

evenkeel
January 10th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Welcome!!! Good to have you back!! :applause :applause

Robert
January 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Welcome back Matt! Good to hear you have gotten better, and since you've been following my "progress", you'll note I'm still playing the same old stuff... but hey it's fun! :)

Matt
January 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Cheers for the welcome guys

Robert, your 'same old stuff' is still pretty awesome. How are you liking the JVM? Ive had mine for a year or so and still love it. Best amp I've played for a long time

Robert
January 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks Matt.

Yeah, the JVM is awesome. Both Neal and Rylan on this forum has JVMs too.

Geoffrey Charles
January 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Welcome back!

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Welcome back Matt!

Commodore 64
January 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I'm in the middle of a BYOC kit right now, the British Blues kit. I feel like I can handle the soldering, it's painting/finishing hte enclosure that worries me heh.

Welcome back!

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 06:31 AM
QVS3WNt7yRU

M29
January 11th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Welcome back Matt!! :rockon

FrankenFretter
January 11th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Welcome back!

Matt
January 11th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I'm in the middle of a BYOC kit right now, the British Blues kit. I feel like I can handle the soldering, it's painting/finishing hte enclosure that worries me heh.

I had that problem with both the kits I built, I built them fine, but I only realised that to paint them, I would have to desolder the AC jack to remove all the hardware. So I think I am going to leave my Rat and Comp clones silver and all other kits from now on will be painted and finished first...

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. Nice vid DVM- what is it from?

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I had that problem with both the kits I built, I built them fine, but I only realised that to paint them, I would have to desolder the AC jack to remove all the hardware. So I think I am going to leave my Rat and Comp clones silver and all other kits from now on will be painted and finished first...
I advise against the paint-then-assemble approach. I guarantee that sooner or later (probably the former), you'll bugger up a nice paint job while assembling the kit. You really want to do minimal handling with the finished enclosure.

Unsoldering the AC jack is really very easy--I do it on every BYOC kit I build. An extra minute or two for the disassembly, and maybe 5 or 10 to reinstall it at final assembly, after the enclosure is finished. Well worth the small investment of time, IMO.

Nice vid DVM- what is it from?
Intro song to a mid-'70s US sitcom, "Welcome Back, Kotter". I just thought it fit the occasion well. BTW, written & performed by John Sebastion of Lovin' Spoonful fame. And the show was where John Travolta got his big break in show biz, as "Sweathog" Vinnie Barbarino.

Brian Krashpad
January 11th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Welcome back mate! The vid DVM posted is from a '70's US TV show, "Welcome Back Kotter," that introduced a teenage John Travolta to the viewing public. John Sebastian did the theme song iirc.

The premise of the show is that a semi-rough kid from an inner-city school goes on to college and then goes back to teach in the same high school he'd gone to years before. Travolta was one of the delinquents making up his class, dubbed the "sweathogs" for being toughest on teachers.

Though I'm sure no personal affront was intended. ;)

Brian Krashpad
January 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
D'oh!

DVM beat me to it.

Up ya nose widda rubbah hose!

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Up ya nose widda rubbah hose!
Oh, yeah?? In yer gizzard widda rubbah lizard!

Commodore 64
January 11th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Oh, yeah?? In yer gizzard widda rubbah lizard!
Up your butt with a coconut!

Monkus
January 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I like that our average age in here is 12.... :cool:

mrmudcat
January 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
welcome back