PDA

View Full Version : Billm Blues Jr mods worth it?

Matt
January 10th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I've had a Blues Jr for 2 years now and have pretty much decided I want to get rid of it. It doesn't really have the classic fender tone I was led to believe by the sales rep in store. It sounds pretty sterile and bland a low volumes and downright harsh and boxy at high volumes. Its the standard black tolex version. I've played a few other versions (Jensen speaker, Cesletion V30, Cannibis Rex speaker) and while they all sound better at low volumes, they still sound harsh and boxy at the other end of the spectrum

The Billm mods supposedly cure this little amp of all the problems, but being in the UK, I would have to do them myself (can't be bothered to pay to ship to the US for Bill to do) which isn't a problem, but I'm just not sure how these mods will get over the fact that the speaker is too big for such a small cabinet etc.

So has anyone had any experience with these mods? Otherwise I will probs just sell the amp and get and Laney VC-15 (very nice little amp), a Pro Jr which sounds far better than Blues Jr, or Vox AC-15. Basically need a small amp capable for band practise and small gigs.

ZMAN
January 10th, 2010, 04:09 PM
When I was a member over at the Fender forum, everyone raved about the BillM mods. I have one of the BJs with the Jensen, and I really like that amp. No mods needed for me.
Pretty good clean but I like the way it takes pedals. I also have a 65 Deluxe Reissue at 22 watts this is probably the best all around amp I have owned. Not too large but packs some amazing tone. I would do the mods then I am sure if it didn't fill your needs you could sell it for a premium.

Matt
January 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Ive been looking at the the 65 deluxe reverb RI, and it does look very tasty indeed- the sort of tone I would expect from a Fender!

I suppose modding the Blues Jr would bring up the price I could sell it for considering the hype surrounding the Billm mods. Then again, I hear other stories of just changing the speaker makes it sound much better and no need to mod. The Jensen was the best sounding that I've tried. How well does yours cope at loud volumes? And does it sound boxy at all?

duhvoodooman
January 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I did three of the BillM mods to my Blues Jr.:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6838

I found that the "Tone Stack mod" was the one that made the most difference in opening up the sound of the amp.

I also replaced the stock speaker, which sounded a bit dull to my ear, with a Jensen C12N. Really gave the amp a much more articulate and Fender-y top end. It sounded a little harsh at first but has broken in nicely.

Nobody will mistake it for a Twin or a Super Reverb, but it sounds great to my ear and has a distinctly Fender tone.

Tig
January 10th, 2010, 08:01 PM
BillM has a good write up on replacement speakers
http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=295

guitartango
January 11th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Try this link for sounds of Jensens and other speakers (watford valves)

http://www.watfordvalves.com/soundfactory.asp

ZMAN
January 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
The Blues junior I have was a special edition. It came in a brown tolex with a wheat front. It was very limited edition and it had the Jensen speaker. I also owned a Blues Deluxe Reissue and I never really like that amp. I did like the little BJ though. It doesn't have the gain I like but with the pedals infront I get just about what I want. I only play it at 5 or 6 so I can't say it is boxy at those levels.
Also there are literally hundreds of settings on the internet that guys have tried to get different sounds. I have tried a few and it is amazing how many different tones you can get from it.
When I first was looking for an amp my guitar tech told me to get a 65 RI. I didn't take his advice and bought the BJ then the Blues Deluxe in tweed. At the same time a friend was looking for an amp and I told him about my techs recommendation and he bought one. He asked me to break it in for him and I was sold. I returned his to him and bought one for myself. At the time he had a Vibrolux and a Super Reverb but needed a smaller amp. I eventually traded my Blues Deluxe as a partial trade for a Gibbly Gold Top LP.
As a side not I really don't know how the PJ would sound any better with it's 10 inch speaker, plus no reverb, which is really nice on the BJ.

otaypanky
January 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I have never had the fun of playing through a Jr with Bill's mods.
As far as the "classic Fender Tone" you mentioned~~~ for my money, I get it from my Princeton Reverb re-issue. I have a number of Fender amps, some Gibsons as well. On the Fender side, a '65 DRRI, a NOS tweed Jr., a Custom Vibrolux Reverb, a Vibro-King, and a '66 Super Reverb. Each sounds great in it's own way, but if I had to pick just one for the winner, the PRRI is it.
It has it's shortcomings in that you can't play with the big dogs. But dial the amp in to it's sweet spot and get the rest of the band to play to that volume, and you're golden. I was frustrated with it at first, the low end was so flabby. I installed an Eminence Copperhead, then re-tubed-, then went to a 12" baffle board trying several different speakers, and am now content with the 10" Copperhead back in there. It was just a case of me having to get used to the fact that there's only so much that can be had from it. If you need more, mic it.

sumitomo
January 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I have a Super and a Bandmaster and at home they are LOUD,so I had heard about the BJ and got a Tweed one with the Clestion 30 in it,it was okay,but nowhere close to my others I have heard of the mods but I read where just changing the output trans really changed the tone (put alittle sugar)so I got an OT from MOJO tone and yea it woke it up alittle I like the way it sounds,and later I think I will try that tonestack mod.A thing I am learning about mods is to do one at a time and play them for a month or so,then try another,that way if I don't like it I can change it back.Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Damn you guys! This thread got me looking at some of the newer BillM mods, so now I'm thinking about one of those custom-sized Heyboer trannies, the presence control, and maybe even the octal tube mod! :thwap :mad ;)

Matt
January 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Don't worry DVM, you are not alone- I've been researching the mods for ages and decided if I did them, it would pretty much be all of them. The idea of the upgraded tranny thus allowing you to have an external speaker jack seemed to be the best way to get rid of the boxy nature of the amp, but I see from your other thread that the tone stack deals with it.

With all the mods, it does look like it could be an amazingly versitile amp. I played a Laney VC15 again today and it wasn't as good as I remembered. And did a lot of youtube tone searching and think the modded BJ is the way forward.

otaypanky- I've played through a PRRI, and they are pretty sweet. The tone I got from it was pretty much the Fender tone I have in my head. but in the UK they are at least £679 (cheapest I've found for one new, my local guitar shop wants £900! :S ) and as I'm only using this for band practise, I can't really justify it to myself when there are so many pedals I want to build and buy :P

Tone2TheBone
January 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I have the Billm Cool Mod and the Twin Stack Mod on mine and love it. I also swapped out the sorry arsed stock speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30 clone. I tried a Jensen C12N in it and it really brightened up the amp with the mods but it was a little too bright for me and I wanted that Celestion ooomph with Humbuckers and pedals so I put in the V 30 clone and have been happy since. I highly recommend you mod your stock Blues Jr. you will be pleasantly surprised at how good it will sound after.