PDA

View Full Version : American Strat Newb questions

kidsmoke
January 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I've been babysitting a neighbors American Strat for quite a while, but since I don't want to leave the house with it, I focus on playing my own guitars(LP clone and 335 clone, both dual hb gits).

Recently I pulled it out to put an amp I got through it's paces, and found I loved the sounds I can get with it, and the comfort of the body.

I know nothing about the guitar...pickups, knobs etc.

Here's what I know:
USA made '97
3 unmarked single coils (not lace sensors)
5 position selector
1 volume, 2 tone
Rosewood fretboard
Standard Trem bridge.

I may make a pitch to buy it, but Don't know what I've got here, really. Seems like a fine guitar, hardly touched, still has plastic around the screws on the pickguard. The lowest tone knobs spins uselessly, but its simply a stripped knob, removing it, the pot works fine.

How do you you utilize the two tone knobs?

A quick overview would be great! :help

Dauntless
January 11th, 2010, 07:16 AM
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0107400_02C/SD0107400_02CPg4.pdf

kidsmoke
January 11th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Cool, dauntless, that is very straightforward.

On a American made from '97, were there many variations of a "standard" strat?

markb
January 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Cool, dauntless, that is very straightforward.

On a American made from '97, were there many variations of a "standard" strat?

There were a few variants but if it's a "standard" colour with a plain 3-ply white guard and a two point trem' it's most likely a US Standard. Most strats of that vintage are wired so that the front tone control operates on the neck pickup and the back tone affects both middle and bridge. The back tone might even be a Fender TBX control with a notch in the middle of its travel, Fender were quite fond of fitting those even though they didn't work very well with passive electronics.

A set of oem Fender knobs will only cost a few dollars from your local music shop, they might even sell you just one if they do repairs.

ZMAN
January 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Take a piece of plumbers teflon tape and wrap it around the pot. Then slide the stripped knob on. Make sure you have it oriented properly. No need for a new knob with that tape. It won't do any harm either. Just be careful not to snap the pot.
That will be a very nice guitar. What color is it? The pickups are probably standard alnico pickups. Is it a rosewood or maple fretboard?

kidsmoke
January 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info.:AOK

The guitar is Yellow with white three ply guard and the two point trem, and a rosewood board.

I had played it a bit through my cube30X a while back when I first got a hold of it, but the sound didn't grab me. Running it through my tube amp recently was a completely different experience.

So, the consensus is a US Standard...

I'm liking it quite a bit, different feel than the short scale gits I'm use too, and a lot more tonal variety than expected. Guess there's a reason it's so popular :thwap

sunvalleylaw
January 11th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I love my strat, though it is Central American instead of American. It is my number one for sure. I hope you can get it. Sounds nice!

kidsmoke
January 11th, 2010, 11:32 PM
so as a '97 standard, what wood is the body made from?

SVL, I'm a firm believer that you can get a well made git offshore.

Strat #1? I'd think your Viking would have to be up there. That's a beautiful axe.

sunvalleylaw
January 12th, 2010, 12:12 AM
You are right, the Vik is a beut. Well, my strat is for sure my number one single coil, and the Vik is my number one humbucker rig. But then, I only have one of each. ;) But my strat was my first guitar love, so . . .

It's nice to have them both. :happy