PDA

View Full Version : New Computer----opinions Please

piebaldpython
January 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
My nearly 11 yr old Dell computer died over the weekend. So....I need something new/modern. Will mostly be for myself and wife with my daughter using is occasionally. E-mails, surfing net, some downloading of instructional vids, downloading pics, NO gaming will be the day-in day-out usage. This is what I'm looking at. Pro/con comments appreciated. Thanks.

TOTAL PRICE - $873

Software & Services
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q9400 (6MB L2, 2.66GHz, 1333FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
OFFICE SOFTWARE: Microsoft® Works 9
WARRANTY & SERVICE: 3 Year Basic Service Plan
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: for issues covered by Limited Hardware Warranty, technician and/or part will be dispatched, if necessary, usually in 1 or 2 business days following Remote Diagnosis. During Remote Diagnosis, you may be asked to access the inside of your system (where safe to do so) or to participate in troubleshooting until a cause can be isolated.
SECURITY SOFTWARE: McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months (FREE)
MONITOR: 21.5 inch Dell S2209W Full HD Widescreen Monitor
MEMORY: 6GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4DIMMs
HARD DRIVE: 750GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
VIDEO CARD: Integrated Intel® GMA X4500HD Graphics edit
SOUND CARD: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
SPEAKERS: Dell AX210 1.2 Watt 2.0 Stereo Speakers
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell Multimedia Keyboard and Premium Optical USB Mouse
My Accessories
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP: Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year (FREE)
ADOBE & ENTERTAINMENT: WildTangent Games (FREE)

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
MEDIA READER: Integrated 16-in-1 Media Card Reader
MODEM No Modem Option
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Network Card: Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Your needs look pretty basic, so that's probably more processor and memory than you really need. But as long as the price isn't an issue, it will last you longer until you need to upgrade again.

BTW, Microsoft Works is pretty much worthless. I'd recommend deleting it from the system configuration, and get THIS (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202916534&listingid=65843435) instead. Includes Word, Excel and Powerpoint--truly useful software!

piebaldpython
January 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks. I think BC has Microsoft Office and we can use that.

aeolian
January 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I have a 7 year old Dell desktop and it has worked fine for us with zero problems. Your configuration does not mention wireless network card which I assume you will need? Most configurations now include a wireless card.

I agree with DVM that the horsepower is more than what you need. I rather look at it from the angle of what software I need when it comes to a computer, and what horsepower I need to run the software. For us Microsoft Office is essential, although I'm still on Office 2003.

Be aware that neither Windows 7 or Microsoft Office 2007 comes with Outlook (the email tool). You can get Windows mail for free from Microsoft, but I took the advice of friends and downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird (also free) which turned out to work great and easy to configure for email.

A couple of months ago I bought an ASUS laptop which is not much of a step down from your Dell configuration with Windows7 and so far it is working great and a charge will allow it to run for about 3-4 hours. It was just under $600.

Eric
January 11th, 2010, 11:35 AM
My nearly 11 yr old Dell computer died over the weekend. So....I need something new/modern. Will mostly be for myself and wife with my daughter using is occasionally. E-mails, surfing net, some downloading of instructional vids, downloading pics, NO gaming will be the day-in day-out usage. This is what I'm looking at. Pro/con comments appreciated. Thanks.
Marnold recently ordered a new computer (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14011) too, though it might be a bit less all-inclusive than the deal you posted here. Still, I find it useful to know what others are looking for.

msteeln
January 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I've had my new 17" HP DV7Z laptop @ $600ish for a few months now, my first, and I love it just for the fact that it impresses all my friends, and rightly so, it's great.
I did my homework before tossing the do re mi and I've had no serious rethinking. And that's running on only 1 GB RAM instead of it's normal 4, because of my green/giddy stupidity when buying on Ebay. At 4 this sucker must kill!

The DV line has many variables in functions/prices, and all are worthy, but do check them out to see which best suits your needs.

Good luck.

ZMAN
January 11th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I would say since your 11 YEAR OLD computer died, I would hazard a guess that you don't update it every time a new gadget comes out. SO, I would say that get the biggest fastest, with the most software you can get for your 800 or so pesos. The larger monitor is really nice, my 83 year old father just got a new Dell with a 22 inch monitor and he loves it.
I would do exactly the same. I personally only use the internet and sometimes Microsoft Word, that is about it. But I really like the speed, and ability to store a million Jpegs and other files I download. I have the fastest cable network you can get and I hate waiting more than a microsecond for a refresh. I would say your systems sounds great.
Only upgrade I might make would be a larger hard drive. I know 750 is BIG but think of files over the next 11 years LOL.

kiteman
January 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Buy last year's technology and pay pennies on a dollar. Computers nowadays are so fast that a system only a few years old can keep up.

I have an AMD dual core at 3800+ with 3gig memory and 500gig drive. I replaced the drive and the dvd-rom not long ago and now have SATA interfaces (was EIDE). That was an improvement in speed already.

I never bought my computers new, I buy 'em from surplus. :)

piebaldpython
January 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Actually, I am looking at an HP that is pretty sweet too. That being said, I may stick with Dell in part because of their customer service. You can talk to them on the phone and they can access your computer, while you sit there, and fix it. They did that a few times with my OLD one.

None of that, take it apart, take it to a storer and then WAIT....and WAIT.
I am not computer savvy, to know how to trouble-shoot and fix things.

Eric
January 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I never bought my computers new, I buy 'em from surplus. :)
Where do you do this? I have always wanted to buy my company's surplus computers (they replace them on a 3-year schedule). Do you use a certain website?

kiteman
January 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Newegg and Tiger Direct carrys older stuff (NOS) but I used Compgeeks (NOS and used) too. I build my own systems. I guess not everyone can do that but they do sell complete systems.

Eric
January 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Newegg and Tiger Direct carrys older stuff (NOS) but I used Compgeeks (NOS and used) too. I build my own systems. I guess not everyone can do that but they do sell complete systems.
Hmm. I'll look into that. I'm not opposed (or unable) to spec'ing and building my own computer, but oftentimes it's not all that beneficial financially.

street music
January 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have had great luck with both Dell and HP computers, I use both at work and I have a computer at home that Kodiak and I built from products I bought from NEWEGG.com
I like being able to customize my computers , Dell does a job of allowing you to pick and choose.

Robert
January 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
http://www.apple.com/imac/
http://images.apple.com/imac/images/overview_hero1_20091020.png

ZMAN
January 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM
+1 on Tiger Direct. Factory refurbs, they sell every brand. You can put a system together or buy a package. Real reasonable. I thought they were only a Canadian company. You learn something every day.