PDA

View Full Version : duhvoodooman

Neal
January 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Mr. duhvoodooman. You are well spoken of, and you opinion is universely well respected.

My question is, how well do you think that the BOYC 5 knob compressor stacks up against some of the high end botique compressors.

marnold
January 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Mr. duhvoodooman. You are well spoken of, and you opinion is universely well respected.
Careful . . . you might give him a big head!

Nevertheless, I'm sure he'll be able to give you a very good answer. Lord knows I can't.

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Careful . . . you might give him a big head!
AAMOF, I just had to get a second user ID here for my ego! :rollover

Actually, I don't know how good my answer will be, 'cuz I'm not personally much of a compressor guy. Almost never use one myself, and I don't own one of the 5-knobs, though I've made several for customers. Can't really comment on the boutique comps, since I haven't played 'em or researched them at all. Sorry to be such a bastion of ignorance on this effect!

What I can tell you is that the BYOC 5-knob kit is basically the classic Ross "Gray" compressor circuit modified to allow much greater control of how the pedal works. It's a nice clean, quiet compressor from what I've heard during build checkouts. Seems to do everything a compressor is supposed to do, at least to my unpracticed ear.

As far as performance goes, I'd defer to somebody who has one and uses it regularly. A Fret.net regular who bought one from me is Hubberjub. Maybe he'll stop by & comment....

Neal
January 11th, 2010, 02:04 PM
AAMOF, I just had to get a second user ID here for my ego! :rollover

Actually, I don't know how good my answer will be, 'cuz I'm not personally much of a compressor guy. Almost never use one myself, and I don't own one of the 5-knobs, though I've made several for customers. Can't really comment on the boutique comps, since I haven't played 'em or researched them at all. Sorry to be such a bastion of ignorance on this effect!

What I can tell you is that the BYOC 5-knob kit is basically the classic Ross "Gray" compressor circuit modified to allow much greater control of how the pedal works. It's a nice clean, quiet compressor from what I've heard during build checkouts. Seems to do everything a compressor is supposed to do, at least to my unpracticed ear.

As far as performance goes, I'd defer to somebody who has one and uses it regularly. A Fret.net regular who bought one from me is Hubberjub. Maybe he'll stop by & comment....

Mr. duhvoodooman. That was the most eloquent responses that I have ever read. Although I did not get the answer that I was looking for, your kind manor, and skill of articulation was great.

Thanks a lot

Neal:happy

hubberjub
January 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hey Neal. Duhvoodooman built me a 5-Knob Comp about a year ago. Prior to that I was using a Visual Sounds Route 66 (original version) which is a more traditional clone of a Ross Comp. I really enjoy the 5-knob. I like the fact that it has a blend knob so you can add an untouched signal back into the mix. It helps it acheive a more natural sound. Of course if you are going for all out squash it can do that as well. I haven't used a lot of other higher end comps but I absolutely recommend both the 5-knob BYOC (Tight Squeeze) and DVM.

rylanmartin
January 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
my belly is starting to rumble....could be gas....

I might end up ordering one of these from vood myself...any mods available for this kit?

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM
my belly is starting to rumble....could be gas....

I might end up ordering one of these from vood myself...any mods available for this kit?
If you got pedal GAS, I'm DVM--Doctor Voodoo Man! :D

No mods that I'm aware of--the kit itself is essentially one big super-modded Ross comp!

Of course, I could always install a dummy pot & knob and label it "Talent Gain" for ya, Rylan!! :rollover Geez, I kill me.... ;)

Neal
January 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Dr. duhvoodooman. This post is kinda fun. But being that I'm retired from the Long Island Rail Road, and have plenty of time on my hands, I might try to build one of them things. Where do you get them decals from?:AOK

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
But being that I'm retired from the Long Island Rail Road, and have plenty of time on my hands, I might try to build one of them things.
You should--DIY pedal-making is a lot of fun. :AOK

Where do you get them decals from?
Make 'em myself. See how-to post HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6235).

rylanmartin
January 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Of course, I could always install a dummy pot & knob and label it "Talent Gain" for ya, Rylan!! :rollover Geez, I kill me.... ;)

Do you think you could put in a dual talent gain? Maybe a talent boost? I'd need a switch that when engaged just plays a pre-recorded copy of "Satch Boogie."

duhvoodooman
January 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Do you think you could put in a dual talent gain? Maybe a talent boost? I'd need a switch that when engaged just plays a pre-recorded copy of "Satch Boogie."
How about one of these in a pedal enclosure? ;) :D

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1645/store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/classic/img/product-black-classic.jpg

Monkus
January 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
:applause

tot_Ou_tard
January 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Dr. duhvoodooman.
Doctor Vood?!?!?

...oh my.

rylanmartin
January 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM
How about one of these in a pedal enclosure? ;) :D

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1645/store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/classic/img/product-black-classic.jpg
you're hired!!!

:crazyguy <--However, I don't know if I approve of this emoticon....

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM
:crazyguy <--However, I don't know if I approve of this emoticon....
I swear that's not how I do business!! :eek: Dr. Voodoo is not a proctologist! :D

Neal
January 13th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I swear that's not how I do business!! :eek: Dr. Voodoo is not a proctologist! :D

Dr. Voodoo the proctologist:what

I'm glad that you're not. Can you imagine a protologist named Dr. Voodoo:thwap

Ch0jin
January 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Dr. Voodoo the proctologist:what

I'm glad that you're not. Can you imagine a protologist named Dr. Voodoo:thwap

Better than Dr Hook..........

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Reminds me of one of my favorite pirate jokes:

A pirate and a sailor were exchanging stories. The sailor pointed to the pirate’s peg leg and asked, “How did you get that?”

The pirate said, “Aye, I wrestled a great white shark and he bit off me leg.”

The sailor pointed to the pirate’s hook and asked, “How did you get that?”

The pirate said: “Aye, I was in a sword fight against three privateers. Killed 'em all, but one of 'em cut off me hand.”

The sailor pointed to the pirate’s eye patch and asked, “How did you get that?”

The pirate said, “Aye, a seagull came by and pooped in me eye.”

The sailor asked, “How could you lose your eye from that?"

“Aye,” the pirate answered. “It was me first day with the hook.”

Neal
January 14th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Dr. Voodoo:crazyguy They tell me that Undertakers and proctologist tell the best jokes:happy, and that was a good one:AOK