PDA

View Full Version : strat sheilding

redgibson
January 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
anyone ever use one of these metal pickguard underlays to shield their guitar?

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Callaham_Pickguard_Shield_Strat_Fits_Any_Screw_Pat tern_P1232.cfm

It seems if i stand at just the right angle most of the hum goes away, I am trying to eradicate that. This looks easier than tin foil taping my entire pick guard and then the body cavity. Thoughts or better ideas welcome...

Zip
January 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Never tried it.

I use conductive copper (comes in a roll, like masking tape). Easy to cut & apply, I do the control & pup cavities, and the underside of the pickguard directly above those cavities. Works great & saves $$$

majwild1
January 11th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Yep they work great, quiets down a strat nicely.

Bloozcat
January 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I use copper sheet material that I pick up at Michael's Crafts. It comes in two thicknesses. I use the heavier one, glue it to the back of the pickguard with 3M spray adhesive, and then cut out the openings/screw holes with an exacto knife. I then use conductive adhesive copper tape in the cavity or CuPro-Cote copper shielding paint.

navvid
January 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Where can I get the CuPro-Cote paint Bloozcat?

Thanks for the great ideas guys!

Bloozcat
January 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Where can I get the CuPro-Cote paint Bloozcat?

Thanks for the great ideas guys!

Get it here:
http://www.lessemf.com/paint.html

It seems expensive at $29.95 per 4-oz., but that will do about 4-guitars.

A word to the wise: If you get it, make sure that you take what you need from the can and close it up tightly right away. Once the paint dries out, you can't re-constitute it to use again.

ted s
January 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I tried aluminum tape to cure the static pops from my Tele, didn't help my situation.

navvid
January 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Blooz - Do you find it works better than the copper tape? Worse?

navvid
January 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Hey Bloozcat, I went to Michaels today and they did not have the copper sheet. When was it you last got them there?

marnold
January 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I tried aluminum tape to cure the static pops from my Tele, didn't help my situation.
I've heard about people putting dryer sheets behind their pickguards to take care of that staticy thing. They say it works great.

ted s
January 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Hey Marnold, thanks, I've tried rubbing it down but haven't shoved one in there yet, I'll try that.

sumitomo
January 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I'll remember this for when I shield this strat I'm building,but I thought I'd throw this in also for the people who live in area's with mosquito's I have found if you use a febreze dryer sheet stick in under your hat in your pocket,I tuck on in the neck of my shirt with it hanging out,it keeps those buggers at bay without spraying that nasty deet stuff all the time,that leaves you slick and greasy,also I put them in and around my tent.Sumi:D

Bloozcat
January 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hey Bloozcat, I went to Michaels today and they did not have the copper sheet. When was it you last got them there?

I was afraid of that....

I was in an out of town Michaels about two weeks ago and they didn't have any there. Since I had bought the copper sheet at my local Michaels before, I thought it was probably just that out of town store. Now you're saying they don't have any at your Michaels. I'd better check the local store this week...

The resistance test on two coats of the CuPro-Cote tests about as good as the copper tape. It's certainly easier to apply as well.

navvid
January 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Blooz - I found a local sheet metal supplier that has copper sheet in 0.005" thickness, but I was afraid it would be too thick. Do you know how thick the sheets you got at Michaels were? Maybe have a piece left you can take a caliper to?

redgibson
January 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM
navvid, I think I am going to suck it up and order the thin shield pre shaped. less time taping / spraying. more time playing, and easily removable if needed... I will measure it with my micrometer and let you know what thickness it is when it arrives. :-) I'll probably tape the PUP cavities if i still need more shielding here... :beer:

Bloozcat
January 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Blooz - I found a local sheet metal supplier that has copper sheet in 0.005" thickness, but I was afraid it would be too thick. Do you know how thick the sheets you got at Michaels were? Maybe have a piece left you can take a caliper to?

I'll have to check it at home tonight...if I can remember!

I found a place on line to buy it more economically. Now, if only I can find that note....:confused:

Eric
January 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'll remember this for when I shield this strat I'm building,but I thought I'd throw this in also for the people who live in area's with mosquito's I have found if you use a febreze dryer sheet stick in under your hat in your pocket,I tuck on in the neck of my shirt with it hanging out,it keeps those buggers at bay without spraying that nasty deet stuff all the time,that leaves you slick and greasy,also I put them in and around my tent.Sumi:D
Seriously? I will definitely try that the next time I go camping, though knowing you, I might be setting myself up for a big joke...

mrmudcat
January 15th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Hey brother I get my stuff from Monte!! Awesome quality stuff and a really great guy!!!!

http://www.monteallums.com/index.html

sumitomo
January 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Seriously? I will definitely try that the next time I go camping, though knowing you, I might be setting myself up for a big joke...

Honest no joke! In the summer I race cars up at the ski areas here and those buggers are terriable,I heard about this and gave it a try,I still get a few bites but I'm not all greasy and I'd rather smell like fabrese than deet,I even had to spray that stuff on my hair,now I just put one of those sheets on the neck of my shirt.Sumi:D

navvid
January 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks Redgibson, Blooz and Mrmudcat. I look forward to all your input. Also, I went ahead and bought a tub of the shielding paint that Blooz recommended. I have some ideas I'm going to try, and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

navvid
January 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I found some 0.005 soft copper foil at a real good art shop called Blick Art Materials. Like Michael's, but their prices are actually better, and they have good sales as well. I ended up spending $50.00 there.