PDA

View Full Version : Zakk Wylde is so dumb!

Jimi75
September 18th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Zakk Wylde! What can I say. This guy has lost the last little piece of sympathy in my eyes. I never really liked him, and his playing was always nervy to me - all those exaggerated overtones - man I can't stand them. His appearance on stage is embarrassing. ( spitting and so on ).

On the one hand he has of course abilities on the guitar, but on the other hand his playing is emotionless and his behaviour is detestable.

What really was the last straw that broke the camel's neck was his utterance in a Randy Rhoads Tribute Report in Japanese TV.

He said something like: "Yeahhhhh, it is an honour to play his songs."
And then he did something unbelievable - he had two full beer cans in his hand, drank them ex, burped and said:"Well fans, never stop drinking beer, drink as much as you can and rock on!"

Can you funking believe this? I mean there were interviews with people crying and this little axehole makes such a statement? Sorry for my bad english, but a player like Randy Rhoads does not deserve something like this.

Furthermore, I hate his appearance. I bet he ordered all those leather clothing in a motorcycle catalogue. Tough guy *lol*

Anyway, I had to tell you this as it upset me and made me really sad how he treats the heritage of such a great player.

If you want to see the report in its entirety go to YouTube.Com and enter:
Randy Rhoads 20th Part 1

It has 17parts, each of approx. 3-5 minutes. Very interesting - the interviews are in English, so do not worry if you do not speak Japanese....Just retype the above and go like Part 2, Part 3 and so on....

Greetz
Jimi75

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Do they show any Japanese babes? ;)

I am a big Randy Rhoades fan. I've never been entirely impressed with ZW either. I feel the same way about his BEARD that you do with his leathers. LMAO I guess you can't like everyone.

Jimi75
September 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Do they show any Japanese babes? ;)

I am a big Randy Rhoades fan. I've never been entirely impressed with ZW either. I feel the same way about his BEARD that you do with his leathers. LMAO I guess you can't like everyone.

You are absolutely right! His beard is ridiculous, but I didn't want to mention it, because I almost had a bad concious about my thread!

No babes, but great guitar playing! This report is a gem!

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I guess I missed the double beers... I heard him say he was honored to play Randy's music... wouldn't anyone be? And later he toasted and drank a beer.. Umm.. he is a heavy rocker.. I think toasting a beer is in order... seeing they couldnt just light up on camera and lay down a few lines...
Over all..it's a pretty good 20 years later review..
Ozzy is still crazy, Sharon is mellower...
I ain't got nothing against or for Zak... he's just zak..

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I find Sharon attractive in a weird sort of way.....

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I hope you know I am joking. LMAO

I can't load the video file on my end.

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Actually... In a weird sort of way... depending on how your holding your head at the time your looking.. and how late in the evening it is... and if beer is involved.. and who else is around.. and how long it's been.... well... ok in a weird sort of way... I would agree..

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Actually... In a weird sort of way... depending on how your holding your head at the time your looking.. and how late in the evening it is... and if beer is involved.. and who else is around.. and how long it's been.... well... ok in a weird sort of way... I would agree..

hahahaha

You know I wonder if Ozzy really IS that way or it's just an act? Does anyone really know? :)

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
hahahaha

You know I wonder if Ozzy really IS that way or it's just an act? Does anyone really know? :)

In this interview.. he is weird as expected.. he say's something like: "I was fortunate enough to share some time with Randy.. I hope your as fortunate.. then slaps his head and says well you can't really cause he is dead.. but I mean thru his music.." :) haha ok.. he really "IS" that way....

Nelskie
September 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
On the one hand he has of course abilities on the guitar, but on the other hand his playing is emotionless and his behaviour is detestable.

What really was the last straw that broke the camel's neck was his utterance in a Randy Rhoads Tribute Report in Japanese TV.

He said something like: "Yeahhhhh, it is an honour to play his songs."
And then he did something unbelievable - he had two full beer cans in his hand, drank them ex, burped and said:"Well fans, never stop drinking beer, drink as much as you can and rock on!"

Can you funking believe this? I mean there were interviews with people crying and this little axehole makes such a statement? Sorry for my bad english, but a player like Randy Rhoads does not deserve something like this.

Furthermore, I hate his appearance. I bet he ordered all those leather clothing in a motorcycle catalogue. Tough guy *lol*
Ummmm - detestable behavior by a rock n' roll star? I hate to be the one to inform you of this, Jimi75, but in the music biz, this is old hat. While your points are certainly credible in their context, a subjective determinination of the value of Mr Wylde's career, talent, and persona based upon a handful of his statements is a bit of a stretch. Let me expound further.

Rock stars are indeed a product of their environment. And since that environment most often promotes a rather distorted view of the world, both in thought and habit, we on the outside are left to ponder the true meaning of it. Personally speaking, assuming that Mr. Wylde's preferences regarding the excessive intake of alcohol equate to a lack of respect for Randy Rhoads is somewhat pessimistic. After all, his ability to play the songs from the Ozzy / Rhoads era are what put him on the map in the first place. I've read countless interviews of Zakk where he did nothing but promote his love for all that is Ozzy, and naturally, since Randy Rhoads was a very big part of Ozzy being where he is today, I'd like to think that respect would cross over into that realm as well. Of course, me thinking that is nothing more than a hopeful genuflection towards a guitar player (Randy Rhoads) that I also hold in high esteem.

I've also seen Zakk Wylde play with Ozzy. And I've heard him crush stuff like "Over The Mountain", "I Don't Know", and "Crazy Train" with such savage, surgical fury, that you'd swear he and Randy were joined as kindred spirits. That in mind, I felt that it was best to judge his respect for his predecessor based upon how he played his stuff, and not by some half-witted statement he may have made backstage over a couple of beers. As a matter of fact, one might also wonder what statements Black Sabbath fans may have taken out of context with regards to Randy referring to his predecessor at the time, Mr. Tony Iommi - - often referred to as the "Father of Heavy Metal".

As for wardrobe - well . . . I don't particularly care for the way Prince dresses, but the man's a genius with a guitar. As for ego - - how about David Lee Roth. If anyone on the planet deserves to be gagged, it's him. But can you deny the larger-than-life, kung-fu master of arena rock his proper spot in the annals of kick-a$$ rock n' roll front-men? Absolutely not.

Certainly, you are entitled to your own opinion of Mr. Wylde. But before you start waxing sentimental about his feelings towards Randy Rhoads, realize this: heavy-duty rock n' roll is most definitely not for the faint of heart. Much less, is it a breeding ground for erstwhile acts deemed by us outsiders as complimentary or respectful. More often than not, it's an alcohol-fueled ego-fest that pays homage to those who can grasp the reins of the wild, circus-like animal that it is, and ride it bucking and snorting into the hazy red sunset of another day. From what I can tell, that ain't gonna' change anytime soon. ;)

As for the Sharon Osbourne thing, guys - - man, that's just so wrong.

marnold
September 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I've read a lot of stuff that Zakk has said about Randy before. He speaks of him in quite reverential tones. I'm sure there was more beer than Zakk talking there. Doesn't excuse it, but there you go.

One thing I do like about him is how he plays Randy's stuff very faithfully, but it's definitely Zakk. If only I could rip off his pinch harmonic technique . . .

SuperSwede
September 18th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Well spoken (typed?) Nelskie!
I guess you havent seen Mr Malmsteen talk about his own greatness (and other guitarists lack of the same). :D
I think its very easy to create a certain amount of reality distorsion field around yourself if you constantly hear that you are the best thing since pre-sliced bread were introduced. Personally, I love the kind of musicians that takes the time to sign autographs and talk to the fans.

Nelskie, not a fan of Prince´s outfits? Come on, admit that you have a tight purple suit and a "The Sign" guitar secretly tucked away in your closet.... :R

Jimi75
September 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Ummmm - detestable behavior by a rock n' roll star? I hate to be the one to inform you of this, Jimi75, but in the music biz, this is old hat. While your points are certainly credible in their context, a subjective determinination of the value of Mr Wylde's career, talent, and persona based upon a handful of his statements is a bit of a stretch. Let me expound further.

Rock stars are indeed a product of their environment. And since that environment most often promotes a rather distorted view of the world, both in thought and habit, we on the outside are left to ponder the true meaning of it. Personally speaking, assuming that Mr. Wylde's preferences regarding the excessive intake of alcohol equate to a lack of respect for Randy Rhoads is somewhat pessimistic. After all, his ability to play the songs from the Ozzy / Rhoads era are what put him on the map in the first place. I've read countless interviews of Zakk where he did nothing but promote his love for all that is Ozzy, and naturally, since Randy Rhoads was a very big part of Ozzy being where he is today, I'd like to think that respect would cross over into that realm as well. Of course, me thinking that is nothing more than a hopeful genuflection towards a guitar player (Randy Rhoads) that I also hold in high esteem.

I've also seen Zakk Wylde play with Ozzy. And I've heard him crush stuff like "Over The Mountain", "I Don't Know", and "Crazy Train" with such savage, surgical fury, that you'd swear he and Randy were joined as kindred spirits. That in mind, I felt that it was best to judge his respect for his predecessor based upon how he played his stuff, and not by some half-witted statement he may have made backstage over a couple of beers. As a matter of fact, one might also wonder what statements Black Sabbath fans may have taken out of context with regards to Randy referring to his predecessor at the time, Mr. Tony Iommi - - often referred to as the "Father of Heavy Metal".

As for wardrobe - well . . . I don't particularly care for the way Prince dresses, but the man's a genius with a guitar. As for ego - - how about David Lee Roth. If anyone on the planet deserves to be gagged, it's him. But can you deny the larger-than-life, kung-fu master of arena rock his proper spot in the annals of kick-a$$ rock n' roll front-men? Absolutely not.

Certainly, you are entitled to your own opinion of Mr. Wylde. But before you start waxing sentimental about his feelings towards Randy Rhoads, realize this: heavy-duty rock n' roll is most definitely not for the faint of heart. Much less, is it a breeding ground for erstwhile acts deemed by us outsiders as complimentary or respectful. More often than not, it's an alcohol-fueled ego-fest that pays homage to those who can grasp the reins of the wild, circus-like animal that it is, and ride it bucking and snorting into the hazy red sunset of another day. From what I can tell, that ain't gonna' change anytime soon. ;)

As for the Sharon Osbourne thing, guys - - man, that's just so wrong.

Well, I see you took your time. Thanks for that and thanks for sharing your opinion on Z.W.

As far as the Rock Business goes, I can assure you that I worked long long time in that biz and I had the opportunity to spend a bunch of time with many many more and less famous rock musicians.

I did not make up my mind because of this single comment. To me this was the peak of the iceberg and I think it gives a close look! Of course media picks scenes out of the context, but to be honest, I have never read an interview with him without having the impression that this man is talking a lot of shite and that he is not the most honest. All his blabla bores me to tears. It is everybody's own decision if he drinks away his brains and this always belonged to rock music - but it is my own perspective of things that lead me to judge z.w. in this way. I met this guy when he was very new with Ozzy and in my eyes he was a completely different person. Sad but true - they all change with the time, and unfortunately there is only a few exceptions. Also we change...of course.....but I would never wear such a dirty beard :-)

And regarding the Sharon thing - I do not really believe that she has ever been hot, but for sure she made OZZY and for sure she never complained about Ozzy being a touring musician ;)

Nelskie
September 18th, 2006, 06:12 PM
As far as the Rock Business goes, I can assure you that I worked long long time in that biz and I had the opportunity to spend a bunch of time with many many more and less famous rock musicians.
Well, conversely speaking, I haven't spent a lick of time in any aspect of the music business, or for that matter, any time conversing with anyone even remotely famous. Yet, even with this obvious lack of credentials, I am trying to determine why, in fact, anything that you've brought up concerning Mr. Wylde makes him "dumb" (i.e. the title of this post.)

Personally, I find Mr. Wylde's approach and demeanor very typical of a player of his stature, although I also have to be totally honest in saying that it's refreshing to see / hear artists - like himself, who are as committed to their music as he and his band are. Like justa' said, Zakk is Zakk. Take it or leave it. Yet again, to address the subject matter of the post - does him being himself make him "dumb" . . . ? In my book it doesn't. Outspoken - yes. But dumb? No.

I came across some old LIFE magazines at a rummage sale about a year or so ago - - one of which had a cover article about Jimi Hendrix. Rather than write about the genius of his music, or his love of the guitar, they chose to focus the article on things that people could draw opinions on - like his flamboyant dress, or "acid rock" sound (in association with his Woodstock performance). And while Zakk Wylde may not be in this same realm talent-wise, or the cultural / musical icon that Hendrix was, it still addresses the fact that its far easier to bear judgement on people than it is to accept them for what they are. Even a legendary artist like Hendrix was not beyond people drawing opinions about what he represented.

My taking the time to point that out hopefully underlines the fact that most of us at here at Fret.Net let the music do the talking. ;)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
September 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
DO I hear an AMEN........AMEN

Spudman
September 18th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Jesus! It's just rock-n-roll. In 200 years nobody is going to care anyway. Especially anyone on this forum. So just lighten up....and have a beer.:D

Oh, don't forget...the new Black Label Society album "Shot To Hell" friggin rips. :DR

Nelskie
September 19th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Jesus! It's just rock-n-roll . . .
Thanks for pointing that out. I was beginning to think I'd totally missed the boat on that one. But then again . . . maybe I have. :confused:

When you fall off the monkey bars - - it's time to find a new playground.

SuperSwede
September 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I´d love to open a Monkey Bar...

Spudman
September 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I´d love to open a Monkey Bar...
Monkeys are like musicians I'm afraid. No money and way too destructive. Unless...hey, what floor would your bar be on?;)

loudncrunchy
September 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
This is one of the best threads I've ever read. Not only do you learn something everytime you log on but you see how personal music is to everybody. One man's "dumbness is another man's genius". The real deal is to take what we like and don't like (and that includes particular players, guitar sounds, et.al) and help define our own sound.

Keep these threads coming! Every one of these goes with me on this ever evolving journey that has no end.:)

Spudman
September 19th, 2006, 05:11 PM
This is one of the best threads I've ever read. Keep these threads coming! Every one of these goes with me on this ever evolving journey that has no end.:)

"Party on Garth. Party on Wayne." :DR

Mark
September 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Boy you got that right LnC. When it comes to behaviour, general opinions on things and especially politics. I find Im worlds apart from some that make the music I like. So I just focus on the music opinions are like ears everyones got em!

Jimi75
September 20th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Hey folks,

I just stopped by and saw what's going on with this thread. Cool that so many of you take part in this discussion, also if we reached a point where the main topic is no longer the main topic :)

I have read all the answers and must admit that my words in the original thread might have been too strong, but they were written only minutes after I watched the documentary. Just to point out one thing, I am not a die hard Randy fan, although I think he was a great player. I never much liked Zakk, nor his playing nor his persona so this documentary just was the missing link in the chain ;-)

That's life - you like or dislike things and with some of them the antipathy grows just a little stronger.
Of course I judge a musician by his music, and I know that throwing TVs and destroying hotel rooms always belonged to R 'n R, but I figured out for myself that with getting older I became more sensitiv for such things and I like it more when a player plays like hell, but remains down to earth in his persona and appearence.

I can only repeat that this is my personal opinion and I tolerate and accept all other opinions on this matter. As I feel very much home here at TheFret, I thought it was a good idea to talk about my sentiments here. My thoughts were like: What would you say if somebody did a report on your best friend who passed away at an early age and then one person would go like " hey drink beer".

Again, this is not about me being a Randy enthusiast, but I projected the whole scene somehow to the a.m. situation, maybe because I had myself some beers that day *lol*

So folks, thanks again for writing so many answers and sharing your opinion. It is good that everyone here looks beyond his own nose! This makes this forum so precious. We can all learn from each other and from each others faults, and if we become better guitar players in the end it is even better!

SuperSwede
September 20th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Monkeys are like musicians I'm afraid. No money and way too destructive. Unless...hey, what floor would your bar be on?;)

The top floor of the Hilton, me and Paris are going to do a jungle theme danceshow. Its going to be great! Anyway, the monkeys will serve you cold beers, but unfortunately musicians & dogs not allowed due to the facts you just described. Hey, you should be the master chef Spud!

Spudman
September 20th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Pots and pans or even a roast beef are not nearly as gratifying as tossing a TV out of a window. So if I can't come as a musician then I'll just go to your pirate party instead.

Like I said, the new Black Label Society album is really good.:D

Tim
September 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Just to point out one thing, I am not a die hard Randy fan, although I think he was a great player. I never much liked Zakk, nor his playing nor his persona so this documentary just was the missing link in the chain ;-)

Every famous person has their place in history. We must keep one thing in mind here. No matter the music venue, no matter the wardrobe worn, no matter the brand of equipment used, not matter the hair style or number of tats, no matter the behavior of the musician; if the delivery of the end item (music) produces a cash flow, then it (the music) will evolve into its own entity. Money talks and lifestyles will change because of it. If people are willing to pay for what makes them happy, then someone will provide a way to bring it to them. No matter how innocent or morbid it maybe. Verity is what makes this world go round. If I don’t like it, I don’t listen to it or watch it. To each their own, but don’t try to push it on me. Hey, remember Vincent Van Gough? Now there was a strange character. Rock on!

Jimi75
September 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM
If I don’t like it, I don’t listen to it or watch it. To each their own, but don’t try to push it on me. Hey, remember Vincent Van Gough? Now there was a strange character. Rock on!

One question here - I understand your post, but how do you mean "don't push it on me". You mean me personally with this or the industry in general? Sorry, but I was not pushing anyone here. Furthermore, I watched the documentary not because of Zakk. I do not watch or listen to his music, because I don't like it - you got it right man! Is that consequent enough?!

Van Gogh? Sorry, I do not get the link. Was he strange because he cut of his ear or killed himself. I do not think that he toasted stereo beer on another dead painter ;-) And only being strange is no excuse for bad behaviour.

Anyways, as I see that this topic is highly discussed and some even use this thread to discuss their plans about opening a monkey bar - I make the conclusion that Zakk is commonly liked here and maybe I tapped into a honeypot with my thread.

Keep cool guys and rock on!

Tim
September 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM
One question here - I understand your post, but how do you mean "don't push it on me". You mean me personally with this or the industry in general?

NO NO NO! It was not directed to you Jim. It was a general statement on how some people try to push their world into ours because they think it is the perfect one. Sorry about the missunderstanding.

Tim
September 20th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Van Gogh? Sorry, I do not get the link. Was he strange because he cut of his ear or killed himself.

The point was that he WAS a strange person and has remained famous after all these years since his passing. His work has carried him on in history. Even in music "Stary Stary Night" Don McLean.

Jimi75
September 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM
NO NO NO! It was not directed to you Jim. It was a general statement on how some people try to push their world into ours because they think it is the perfect one. Sorry about the missunderstanding.

Hey Tim, I enlighted to read your answer :-) I was rellay very unsure.

Thanks by the way for the pics you posted in the "Synsonic" thread....G.A.S. alarm!!!!!! :R

zeusse
October 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Wow this post was an entertaining read I wonder if it was entertaining for Randy Rhodes at the time when he banged Sharon..LOL