PDA

View Full Version : How do you use a DS-1?

Eric
January 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I know Neal posted a thread about the DS-1 (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14108) not long ago, but not wanting to hijack his thread...

The first stompbox I ever bought was a Boss DS-1, and I've never quite found a setting or application for it that I like. Whenever I compared it with the dirt I was getting from an amp, the DS-1 seemed high, thin, fizzy, thrashy, and a little out of control.

I think part of it may be that I'm discovering I like OD more than anything, but I think I also just don't quite get it. I got distracted after not having much luck with it and never really solved the puzzle.

So the question: what do you use it for? Single note licks, leads and solos? Chords? What settings? Do you change the settings much or just set it and forget it?

This is such a popular pedal, I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, and since I still own it, I may as well find something at which is excels. I'm also open to mods like the one listed here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5481), but some people love the DS-1 stock, so I'd like to hear what they have to say too.

tunghaichuan
January 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
So the question: what do you use it for? Single note licks, leads and solos? Chords? What settings? Do you change the settings much or just set it and forget it?

I'm atypical in that I actually like the DS-1. I usually set and forget. I like to max out the gain, adjust the level to taste, and back off the tone so the tone doesn't get fizzy.

I've found that the DS-1 doesn't sound so good into Fender style amps when played clean. The DS-1 does sound good into single ended Class A amps like the Valve Junior and Blackheart Little Giant, which are may main two amps now. The two aforementioned amps can get shrill and bright, so it is a good idea to adjust the gain until the fizz goes away.

I pretty much use it for power chording and lead lines.

Eric
January 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'm atypical in that I actually like the DS-1. I usually set and forget. I like to max out the gain, adjust the level to taste, and back off the tone so the tone doesn't get fizzy.

I've found that the DS-1 doesn't sound so good into Fender style amps when played clean. The DS-1 does sound good into single ended Class A amps like the Valve Junior and Blackheart Little Giant, which are may main two amps now. The two aforementioned amps can get shrill and bright, so it is a good idea to adjust the gain until the fizz goes away.

I pretty much use it for power chording and lead lines.
Hmm. I was thinking that cutting the tone way down might help tame it a little. I think I've been surprised by just how much distortion the DS-1 puts out, even at its lowest gain setting.

I'll give it a whirl when I have a chance. I need to get off my butt and solder all of the cable parts I have to make some more patch cables. I have 50' of canare rolled up in my basement...

Spudman
January 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I use mine paired with a Tube Screamer or some overdrive that is similar. I go into the DS1 first then into the OD. The reason I do this is because that way I'll get the smooth compression of the DS1 and then I can thicken it up with the OD. That's one way.

Another way is just running the DS1 solo. I have the tone around 9-10 o'clock, distortion around 2-3 o'clock, and level from 12-2 o'clock. This allows me to turn down the volume on the guitar and that cleans up the DS1 and gets rid of the brittleness. I get some pretty good thick grind to my chords with some slight compression this way. When it's time to solo I roll up the guitar volume and it gets brighter, more compressed and cuts through pretty well.

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I own the exact pedal demo'ed bought it from vood awhile back.........I liked the mods and gave a new one to a fretterfriend........... I have several distortion pedals and it keeps up!

Eric
January 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
I got my hands on a Bad Monkey, which, when placed after the DS-1 as recommended by Spud, does help to smooth everything out a bit.

Also, just turning the tone knob to about 9:00 works wonders. I feel like I'll probably keep it parked there the majority of the time. It actually does a good job of adding some girth to the tone and some stinging high-end for rhythm and lead, respectively. I think this will work pretty well, so thanks for the ideas.

Spudman
January 21st, 2010, 11:11 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you Eric. It's really a pretty versatile combo. Simple and effective.

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2010, 11:42 PM
I use to use my DS-1 into my Bad Monkey all the time, after getting the idea from Spud. They were basically my first two pedals. I still do sometimes, but I use my Rabid Rodent more for straight distortion. I still really enjoy using my DS-1 into my chorus for a Cobain-y sorta Nirvana thing, or to otherwise get a modernish indy grungey rock sound. I have considered modding mine, but I have a more fat distortion in the Rodent, and I would not want to screw up the DS-1 characteristics that give me the sounds I like running it in combo with my Monkey and my chorus.

Eric
January 22nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
I still really enjoy using my DS-1 into my chorus for a Cobain-y sorta Nirvana thing, or to otherwise get a modernish indy grungey rock sound.
I will sometimes use the dirt/chorus combo on my regular ME-50 board, where I frequently use a Rat-ish tone (which is what the RR is based on, IIRC) for dirt. It can be cool, but I feel like it's a little too much most of the time and loses definition. Still, certainly neat in certain situations, I agree.