PDA

View Full Version : Fret levelling worth the cost?

bcdon
January 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi guys,

I had my Epi Les Paul Ultra II setup while in the states and when I finally had the chance to play it noticed that the low strings rattled a lot. I raised the action up, to get rid of the rattle, and then took it for another setup. Well, I just got a call and they said the rattle is better but I need the frets to be levelled and this may, or may not, remove the rattle. It will cost ~ $150 (CAD) and the guitar cost ~800. What do you guys think? I like the guitar but I don't want to spend $150 on it unless I know it actually helps. I can always have the action put back to where it was as it didn't rattle too much at all then.

Thanks for your help!

tot_Ou_tard
January 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I paid $70 us for a fret crown & dressing for my $150 used Godin Radiator. It made a big difference, I was glad that I did it.

My issue wasn't rattling it was significant wear on the treble strings on the first coupl'a frets.

Plank_Spanker
January 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure of the money conversion here, but $150 CAD sounds a little steep for a simple fret leveling. I can get a complete refret done here for around $200 USD........crowned, dressed and all.

Then again, if you really like the guitar and the refret will bring it back to good graces, you have to decide if it's really worth it. You might want to seek a second opinion.

bcdon
January 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks, guys! The ~150 was for levelling and then re-polishing, etc. Is this what you mean by "crowned and dressed?" As for the cost, everything here in Canada is way more than you'd expect in the States. Service for things seem to be 1.5/2 times the amount in the US. By the time you add PST, GST, overcharges, undercharges, extra charges, misc. charges, you are starting to talk about real money! :)

I'm going to see how she plays but if someone could explain "crowned and dressed," I'd sure appreciate it. It sounds like a flavour of potato chips you find up here http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=954

oldguy
January 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6092

This may help.

deeaa
January 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
GREAT LINK, that's exactly as I've done it too, and it's definitely DYI job&worth attempting rather than 150 bucks....

bcdon
January 16th, 2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6092

This may help.
Thanks a lot!

bcdon
January 16th, 2010, 11:39 AM
GREAT LINK, that's exactly as I've done it too, and it's definitely DYI job&worth attempting rather than 150 bucks....

I don't think I could possibly do that myself. I'm all thumbs when it comes to work like that.

ZMAN
January 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Don I had a 400 dollar Vintage Icon series Les Paul Gold Top done. It included a set up after the levelling and redressing with new strings. Cost me 100 bucks here in Niagara area. Probably the best playing guitar I own now, including my 3 Gibson LPs. He was able to get the action so low it almost plays itself.
I would ask him why it is so high. I bet the shop farms it out to the guy and charges 40 or so handling fee. Check around and see if you can deal directly with the person who is doing it.

bcdon
January 17th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I would ask him why it is so high. I bet the shop farms it out to the guy and charges 40 or so handling fee. Check around and see if you can deal directly with the person who is doing it.

Thanks, ZMAN. I thought $150 was a little steep too. Anyway, I picked my Epi up today and there is barely a rattle, almost imperceptible. I think I will shop around for an independent luthier to get a second opinion.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help.

Cheers,

don

Kazz
January 17th, 2010, 06:19 AM
You might run it across the border to Washington and see if you can find a tech to look at and then you save all those mysterious canuck taxes :-)

bcdon
January 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
You might run it across the border to Washington and see if you can find a tech to look at and then you save all those mysterious canuck taxes :-)

That's not a bad idea, I think I'll do just that. :french :dude

Auriemma
January 18th, 2010, 09:22 AM
The thing is, do you need a complete (all frets) or a partial? It only may be a few frets causing the issue. I've had it done on several guitars, it cost less than that including a full setup. Find another place to get it done.

And to answer the question... Yes, its worth it.

bcdon
January 18th, 2010, 11:08 AM
The thing is, do you need a complete (all frets) or a partial? It only may be a few frets causing the issue. I've had it done on several guitars, it cost less than that including a full setup. Find another place to get it done.

And to answer the question... Yes, its worth it.

I was told it only required a partial leveling and that $150 would be on top of the $50 setup fee (which I was initially told would be only $30). I'm definitely going to find a new place. I should have known Long McQuade would be over priced.

FrankenFretter
January 18th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Manna Music in Bellingham has one of the best guitar techs around, The Guitar Doctor. He's done repairs and setups for lots of big names, including Billy Gibbons. He charges $90 for level, dress and setup. He did a deluxe setup on my Schecter, and the guitar is the best playing guitar I own, and one of the best I've ever had my hands on. Bonus: It's not too far from Boundary Bay Brewing Company. Yum!

bcdon
January 18th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Manna Music in Bellingham has one of the best guitar techs around, The Guitar Doctor. He's done repairs and setups for lots of big names, including Billy Gibbons. He charges $90 for level, dress and setup. He did a deluxe setup on my Schecter, and the guitar is the best playing guitar I own, and one of the best I've ever had my hands on. Bonus: It's not too far from Boundary Bay Brewing Company. Yum!
Thanks for the recommendation, Sean! I'm going to hold off on any trips to the States until after the Olympics as the border crossing is going to be a nightmare. I don't want a free full body cavity search along with the fret leveling. :crazyguy

I'll look up the Guitar Doctor and Boundary Bay as well!

Thanks again!

don

Bloozcat
January 19th, 2010, 09:02 AM
If you're a mechanical/craftsman inclined kind of guy, buy the necessary tools and do it yourself. For a lot less than the cost of having someone else do it, you can purchase all the necessary tools...and have them forever should the need arise again (or if you'd like to make some of that money yourself doing it for others).

Take it slow, be methodical, and go with a light hand with the sanding block and the fret crowning tool. It's a very rewarding, satisfying feeling when it's done right and you're the one who did it. :AOK

NWBasser
January 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM

I can attest to that. That Schecter practically plays itself and is one of the nicest guitars I've played.

Boundary is very good stuff too!

bcdon
January 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Well I've had my Epi back almost a week and I can't hear any string rattling at all. Thanks for everyone's advice, my first inclination was to just have it done without even questioning it... I'm glad I asked you guys and played it first.

The next chance I get I'll get a second opinion, but thanks a lot for all of your help!