PDA

View Full Version : Played at an open jam for the first time ever

Pickngrin
January 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM
This past Wednesday, I played a few songs at an open blues jam at a local blues bar. This was my first time doing anything like this. I'm not particularly confident of my playing, but I'm glad that I got the courage to do it (I'd decided that it's a new year and I wanted to play an open mic/jam). I dragged a friend with me, and he was chickening out after hearing the hosting band..they were really good and their guitarist was smokin'. I was persistent and pushed him to go up with me. The band's guitarist was generous in giving me solos. I was very careful to make them short (partly out of courtesy and partly out of nervousness), but each time he told me to go again. I think I screwed up a bit on the turnarounds when I was playing rhythm, but I don't think I made any major blunders when soloing.

That was fun! It was also a good way to further break in my fairly new Agile LP!

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Congrats!!!!!! Keep on keeping on.............

birv2
January 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Way to go! I did my first one a few years ago and remember feeling like I was going to throw up the whole time. Now I do it weekly, and it's a blast.

Also, it's the fastest way to get better. Congrats, and keep it up!

M29
January 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Awesome I can't wait till I can do that, it must have been a blast and I can identify with ya on the throwin up stuff. Congrats:happy

Pickngrin
January 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks, guys. Yeah, it definitely seems like a good way to improve one's playing...

sumitomo
January 16th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Way to go,good job.I was just talkin to my wife about going to a local open mic(I haven't been inside a bar for about 13 yrs.I don't drink so I really haven't had a reason to go)Just to check things over before bringing my gear down.Sumi:D

Geoffrey Charles
January 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Congrats!

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Nice! Way to get the first one under your belt and pave the way for more. Glad you had fun!

Brian Krashpad
January 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Outstanding!

Something I've never done. Need to get around to it eventually.

evenkeel
January 20th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Very, Very Cool!! :happy :applause :happy

Sounds like you had a blast and are itching for more. Go get 'em!!

Bloozcat
January 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Cool, Pickngrin!

You're always nervous the first time at anything in front of people. But, you overcame your fear and look at the time you had!

You're on your way....

peachhead
January 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
That sounds cool, although I think I would be all into the throwing up part.
I guess I'll have to look more closely and see if I can find one of those around here.
Congrats man, keep doing it and let us know how it goes!