PDA

View Full Version : NGD - CV '50's strat

tjcurtin1
January 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Jumped for the Squier CV 50's strat today - Oh, oh, oh, am I glad that I did. What a nice guitar! I love everything about it. I was happy to buy at a local shop; when I asked if they had set it up there, the guy told me that that was the way that it came, and that Squier has been doing a real nice job that way (though I did see one in poor setup shape at a Daddy's Junky Music). Everyone I talked to during the search said the same kind of thing as one guy today: "I'm a solid American Fender guy and have been forever, but these guitars are really something - better than a MIM."

Interestingly, I bought it one day before its 'birthday': the QC hang tag indicates 1-17-09...

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Jumped for the Squier CV 50's strat today
Congrats! My CV tele is due in on Monday.

Congrats!

Spudman
January 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
That's great news TJ. I played mine most of the night at a gig last night and other musicians were complimenting my sound so there must be something right with those CVs.

And the obligatory
:worthless

ZMAN
January 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I can't believe I have had mine since June 2008. I have 9 Strats and I just walked by my music room and my Gibson Goldtop LP, my ES335 and my CV50s Strat are out. I did a comparison with several of my Strats and the CV50s just sounds the best. The only other one that comes close is my 50th Ann. Deluxe MIA. It has the SCN noiseless and the S1 switch so you can get just about any tone from it. But the CV sounds pretty close, at 1/5 the price.

Robert
January 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Congrats, Ted! You've got a keeper. :)

otaypanky
January 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Everybody seems to love the CV series, Teles too ~
They must be doing something right. I've never had a chance to play one yet
Enjoy it !

Commodore 64
January 17th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Pics or it didn't happen. :P

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Congrats TJ!!

mrmudcat
January 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
congrats and pics

tjcurtin1
January 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Here is the new CV 50's:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/tjcurtin1/CV50.jpg

I love the tinted neck. While I wasn't as fortunate to get a super-figured neck like 'Lucky Dog' Spudman, this one is very creamy in appearance, with almost no grain so that it looks almost like butterscotch pudding (yum!). BTW, I did see a CV Tele with a curly maple neck during my search - gorgeous! Only change I'm planning is a tortois pickguard, which I think looks great on the CV 60's and would look more so with the tinted neck.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/tjcurtin1/CV50neck2.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/tjcurtin1/CV50neck.jpg

Spudman
January 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM
That looks great TJ. I'm really impressed by what a good quality guitar they really are. Looks like you found a keeper.

I guess I did get lucky to get a neck with so much figuring. It doesn't make the guitar but it's a nice bonus anyway.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/stuff004.jpg

msteeln
January 17th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Only change I'm planning is a tortois pickguardJust in case you don't know, be aware that the original guard isn't a match for other/standard Strats, so get one that pops on without mods. I've read that at least the screws don't line up.

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Good to hear. That's a beauty too. I love my CV Tele since day one. Glad you are digging the Strat.

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Sweet Strat, Ted!! :AOK :dude :rockon:

tjcurtin1
January 18th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Just in case you don't know, be aware that the original guard isn't a match for other/standard Strats, so get one that pops on without mods. I've read that at least the screws don't line up.

Thanks for the warning - I ordered a 57 style guard which has 8 screws as has as this one, so I hope it fits well.

tot_Ou_tard
January 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
My CV tele is in...or since I don't have a camera...

...*is* it?

tjcurtin1
January 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM
The CV Tele - especially one of the new ones, but I did love the white model that I saw as well - was the close second for me in this latest GAS bout... of course, now that I have the Strat, I guess that it makes the Tele first now:what Oh, woe is me!

Have fun with the new toy!

tjcurtin1
January 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM
My CV tele is in...or since I don't have a camera...

...*is* it?
Depends on what your definition of *is* is....:crazyguy

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Depends on what your definition of *is* is....:crazyguy
*is* for me means I can hold in my hands & play it. ;)

kidsmoke
August 16th, 2010, 09:30 PM
hey guys,
Got a lead on what a guy is calling a " Fender Classic series 50's strat with a Warmoth Neck"

My question is, are there different generations of the classic? Is likely a CV 50's? What's the difference between the 50's and 60's CV.

If I do go check it out, I'd like to know as much as I can. Seems it could be a find.....

MAXIFUNK
August 16th, 2010, 11:53 PM
hey guys,
Got a lead on what a guy is calling a " Fender Classic series 50's strat with a Warmoth Neck"

My question is, are there different generations of the classic? Is likely a CV 50's? What's the difference between the 50's and 60's CV.

If I do go check it out, I'd like to know as much as I can. Seems it could be a find.....

There are CLASSIC SERIES FENDERS that are not CV'S.
CV'S are Squires made in China the CV 50's maple fret boards alnico 3's pups CV 60's rosewood fret boards alnico 5's pups.

Check out Fender's web site they still have Classic Series Fenders for sale.
If it has a Warmoth Neck sounds like that was a mod done by the owner.
Hope that helps.

kidsmoke
August 17th, 2010, 08:33 AM
There are CLASSIC SERIES FENDERS that are not CV'S.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm trying to find out about before I engage the seller. He specifies "50's" in his plug, which makes me think it may be cV, because the Classic series did not specify like the CV series, correct?

Difference in p'ups etc? The body on this one is Alder, and the birdseye neck is stated as an owner upgrade.

Fretz
August 17th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Here is the new CV 50's:

I love the tinted neck. While I wasn't as fortunate to get a super-figured neck like 'Lucky Dog' Spudman, this one is very creamy in appearance, with almost no grain so that it looks almost like butterscotch pudding (yum!). BTW, I did see a CV Tele with a curly maple neck during my search - gorgeous! Only change I'm planning is a tortois pickguard, which I think looks great on the CV 60's and would look more so with the tinted neck.

Congratulations TJ! That is a great looking guitar...I've heard some really good things about those CVs.
What's the story with the neck? It looks fantastic!! I've seen a similar look on some signature model strats...looks really cool. I think this was a really good purchase :applause

MAXIFUNK
August 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Yep, this is exactly what I'm trying to find out about before I engage the seller. He specifies "50's" in his plug, which makes me think it may be cV, because the Classic series did not specify like the CV series, correct?

Difference in p'ups etc? The body on this one is Alder, and the birdseye neck is stated as an owner upgrade.

Here is a link to Classic series 50's on the guitar center website:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Player-50s-Stratocaster-103862280-i1166326.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=37330192

The Fender site Link:
http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0131002340

Tig
August 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM
All that you've heard is likely true. These are great guitars, no matter how cheap they are priced!
Mine has cool little curls in the maple neck. I should take some macro's of it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4422185705_8d521a1e5f_z.jpg

ZMAN
August 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
If it is a CV50s what I would ask is why a Warmoth neck. The necks on these guitars are why people are buying them. They are vintage tinted. The only thing might be the shiny finish. I personally love my CV50s.
I recently saw a CV60s with the rosewood board for 275 new in a store.
So be aware that they are going for under that used.

Katastrophe
August 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
hey guys,

Like Maxifunk said, Fender has their own line of "classic" models that have popular features from the 50s, 60s and 70s. These are completely different from the Squier Classic Vibe series. The main differences between the Squier CV 50s and CV 60s are fretboard material (maple vs. rosewood), and pickups (alnico III vs alnico V). The Squiers aren't meant to be exact copies, with each having a 9.5" radius fretboard and a more modern "C" shaped neck.

The Fender Classic 50s is made in Mexico, and is a solid guitar. Of note on the body are the original deeper body contours, and it is routed for three single coil size pickups only. The original neck on these has a 7.25" radius fretboard, which could be why your seller replaced the neck, unless he did a partscaster build just using the body and a Warmoth neck.

Either way, it could be one hell of a guitar... Warmoth has a long reputation for making good products.

Not having the original neck, along with the possibility of it being a "pieces/parts" build, will diminish the resale value of the guitar, so hopefully he won't be asking much.

Tig
August 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I recently saw a CV60s with the rosewood board for 275 new in a store.
So be aware that they are going for under that used.

Ditto the price drop. Also saw a CV 50's Strat at $275, just like my $350 one!
Doh!

ZMAN
August 18th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Ditto the price drop. Also saw a CV 50's Strat at $275, just like my $350 one!
Doh!

I felt that the original price for them was a little high. It seemed that Fender was getting progessively higher with each new series. The Standards, then the Deluxes, then the Classic Vibe. Don't get me wrong I do like my CV series guitars, but lately I have seen them marked down in stores. I asked the owner why and he said that it was in stock for too long, and had to be moved It might be the economy, but a lot of Squier buyers are scared off by the 350 price tag. When you can get a Bullet for 119, Standard for 229, Deluxe for 279. There is a lot of Squier product for under 300 dollars. I think that 299 would have been a decent price for the Classic vibes. They are falling to that on their own now.

MAXIFUNK
August 18th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I felt that the original price for them was a little high. It seemed that Fender was getting progressively higher with each new series. The Standards, then the Deluxes, then the Classic Vibe. Don't get me wrong I do like my CV series guitars, but lately I have seen them marked down in stores. I asked the owner why and he said that it was in stock for too long, and had to be moved It might be the economy, but a lot of Squire buyers are scared off by the 350 price tag. When you can get a Bullet for 119, Standard for 229, Deluxe for 279. There is a lot of Squire product for under 300 dollars. I think that 299 would have been a decent price for the Classic vibes. They are falling to that on their own now.

I did not think the CV'S where over priced at all $350.00 to $380.00 for a great guitar its not a lot of money for what you are getting. What other single coils guitars have you seen better built and better sounding in their price range?

I think even Squire's deserve to have "A TOP OF THE LINE" range.
I never would have bought a bullet at all not even for a child as a beginner guitar.

I think what we are seeing is people still have the opinion if it says Squire on the head stock its a below average piece of junk guitar and the down turn in the economy is affecting all instrument sales right now. If I come across a CV 50's for under $300.00 I might just have to jump on it but they are still selling at the original price point in southern California. :(

Eric
August 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I think what we are seeing is people still have the opinion if it says Squire on the head stock its a below average piece of junk guitar
I'd agree that there is probably a lingering sentiment of that going around. I think one of the cool things about the CV series is that it has challenged a lot of people to rethink that based on their anecdotal (having never played one myself) quality.

msteeln
August 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'd agree that there is probably a lingering sentiment of that going around. I think one of the cool things about the CV series is that it has challenged a lot of people to rethink that based on their anecdotal (having never played one myself) quality.Thing is, now that they've raised the bar, they'll have to stay with it or lose what they've gained in recent rep. If they do... everybody can be a winner.

ZMAN
August 20th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Maxi I have a total of 7 Squiers. I have an Esprit which is a double cut not a Strat style, A FMT Strat, a Cherryburst Standard, both of the Deluxes, and a CV50s Strat, and the CV Tele Custom.
Each one is a really nice guitar in it's own right. The FMT is a show stopper. Everytime I bring it out nobody believes it is a Squier. 229. The Cheerryburst was made in China probably at the same factory as the CVs. 229, The Deluxes are every bit as nice as the CVs and are made in Indonesia. 279. All of a sudden because they change the colors and they go up by 35%.
The CVs are by far some of the nicest guitars to come out of Squier since the JVs.
I would say that most guys on here are not the average Squier buyer.
Most people who look at a Squier, are looking for their first guitar, or are not looking to pay a lot for a guitar.
I would not buy a bullet either but I am not the average guitar buyer.
Since my first Squier purchase about 5 years ago I have been a huge convert, and realize the bang for the buck in the line.
What I am seeing now is an erosion of the price, and that there are a lot of them unsold out there. Dealers are cutting the prices to get them sold.
But I am basing that on what I have seen recently. It might just be the stores I frequent. When Squiers are tickling the 400 dollar range with taxes without a case or bag I think the number of buyers will be a lot fewer.
I am not saying that the two CVs I have are not the best Squiers I own, but they are not that much better than the deluxes.

Duffy
August 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I don't think my stock CV fifty is better sounding or built than my stock pearl white Squier Deluxe. The Deluxe sounds real full and has great tone in all switch positions thru a good amp, and depending on amps, sounds incredibly good.

I think my hot rodded LPB CV fifty is probably better though, with the Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials. The LPB sounds noticeably more pleasing to my ear.

Also, my Cherry Burst Std Squier with newly installed Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's sounds awesome and better than the stock CV fifty.

I'm keeping the one CV fifty stock, for now; but may soon decide to put some CS '69s in it.

I have seen the CV's going in the two hundreds but haven't seen any lately. I wouldn't mind getting a CV sixty or a white and gold fifty and hot rod it.

Thing is, right now I'm working on getting a new Fender SuperSonic 60, and at a great price too, but still some money. Try a SuperSonic 60, the big one not the 22, if you want to be in for a surprise.