PDA

View Full Version : DAMN I'm slow...

deeaa
January 17th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Oh man,

A couple of years back I built a simple device for easy personal vocal monitoring that solved a lot of issues and eliminated the clumsy wireless monitoring systems in favor of super-simple (and cheap to make) in-ear systems...all with simple 'radio shack' parts but a very handy device, even though my proto was super-clumsy in form.

Now I got into thinking it might really be worth making properly, even producing and marketing, and...alas, went to browse the patent databases and just last year some dude went and patented exactly the device I made at least a year before...DAMN. It's downright eery, the patent even addresses all the possibilities further I had also pondered, i.e. adding a verb etc. and whatnot...it's almost exactly like I would have written it.

Just goes to show...when you get a good idea like that, do not dwell on it for years but GO AHEAD AND SEEK A PATENT before someone else comes up with the idea.

DAMN. Now I'll just have to wait and see if some gadgets based on it will appear in stores some day. Man I'll be spanking myself if they become a big hit....oh well...the worst part is, I have a nagging feeling I might have discussed my idea at some newsgroup too, if they got the idea from some post I made back then, well, I've just been so stupid it's downright moronic...

M29
January 17th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Thats not good.

How do you browse the patent databases? Ive had an idea for a certain tool but here it is 10 grand to get a patent. I think legalzoom wants around 4000. Either way it is very expensive.

Again sorry to hear your idea has been patented.

M

deeaa
January 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Um, this is a Finnish service but the results are in English and worldwide:

http://fi.espacenet.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi.exe?Action=FormGen&Template=fi/fi/advanced.hts

...it's pretty straightforward, just put the search terms in the 2. box (enter keywords above) and plastic AND bicycle as example.

Writing a patent does cost at least some hundreds, but I understand most of it comes from the writing of the text etc. so if you can write it yourself you save a pretty penny. I've been involved in the process of writing a few. Applying worldwide gets it in the few thousand range, but you can do that in a few years after you've got a local patent as it's covered for a while anyway everywhere 'pat pending'.