PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha

t_ross33
September 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone familiar with Yamaha basses? My local music store guy has one he took in on trade (not sure of the model - I'll find out) and I could get a sweet deal on it (less than $100 CDN). Thing is some brainiac decided he wanted a candy apple red bass and spray painted it. The paint ate up the finish, now it looks like it's covered in some sorta weird blood red alligator hide, one with a skin condition :rolleyes:

Lotsa Fretters are hot rodding and modding their six strings - anyone give any thought to refinishing and/or modding a bass? What mods would you look at doing?

I might pick this up just for shats and giggles and see what I can come up with.

What do you guys think (because I value your opinions soooooooooo much :D ).

Trev

Spudman
September 18th, 2006, 09:55 PM
If it has a battery door on the back of the body it could be a pretty good find. Most Yamaha basses in the thousands (ie. 1000, 2000, 3000 series) are pretty good. Look for the battery cover because those usually indicate a more expensive higher quality bass. Especially ones that are a little older.

t_ross33
September 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks Spudz, I'll check that out.

Tone2TheBone
September 19th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I had a Yamaha RGsomething I can't remember anymore. It was a passive P style design and played well and looked good! Sold it though to my neighbor across the road after I got my Jazz Bass.

t_ross33
September 19th, 2006, 04:29 PM
It's an RBX200 I think. No battery cover (so passive p'up). The finish is just downright awful :p Neck and everything else looks OK, but it needs some TLC.

Any idea what wood would be under there? If one were to strip it right down, I wonder if the wood grain would be decent enough to stain?

I really, really don't need another bass, but I wonder what I could do with it? I'm sure I could pick it up for like $70 or something. It sure is tough to sell in the condition it's in now!

Spudman
September 19th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I'd advise skipping on it and instead way for a gem. They are out there.

Tone2TheBone
September 19th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Yeah thats it...RBXsomething. Thanks! :)

Carlström
September 20th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I use a Yamaha TRB-4P as my main bass in the band, great great GREAT bass. Other Yamaha's i've played have all felt solid and well built, but i deffinatly suggest going for one with active pups since that's really a good thing on a bass.

cheers

SuperSwede
September 20th, 2006, 06:03 AM
A low end brand that I think produce very good basses for the money is Samick.