tot_Ou_tard
January 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Fessus upus Tig!

What does it mean?

Izzit from Virgil?

Tig
January 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
= perpetual noob! Dat's me!

I won't be on TheFret as much now, since I finally got a job, which started today. It took 6 months to get the an interview, but I guess I said something right!.

bcdon
January 19th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Fessus upus Tig!

What does it mean?

Izzit from Virgil?
Fessus - tired, exhaused
upus -- do you mean, opus -- work?
Tig! -- ???, not sure

EDIT: Maybe I'm missing the question..

Kazz
January 19th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Congrats on landing the day gig. Hope it goes well for you.

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Fessus - tired, exhaused
upus -- do you mean, opus -- work?
Tig! -- ???, not sure

EDIT: Maybe I'm missing the question..
Fess up Tig

...& he did.

Congrats on the job!

evenkeel
January 19th, 2010, 06:54 AM
finally[/I] got a job, which started today. It took 6 months to get the an interview, but I guess I said something right!.

We'll miss you around these parts, But huge congrats on landing a job. :applause :applause

luvmyshiner
January 19th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Congrats Tig. Let's hope CB doesn't make me go find a real job now.:nope

Bloozcat
January 19th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Novus Perpetuus, seems to be taken out of context. I've seen the two words in a Catholic prayer said in Latin, but they were seperated by other words that gave the line in the prayer meaning.

Novus - New, novel, fresh, young, etc.

Perpetuus - Perpetual, lasting, continuous, uninterupted, etc.

Where did you get this reference, Tig?

ETA: OK, I can sorta see what you're saying, Tig - perpetually new (young, inexperienced, etc.) Very clever. Did you study Latin? (I never did, BTW)

Tig
January 19th, 2010, 05:54 PM
ETA: OK, I can sorta see what you're saying, Tig - perpetually new (young, inexperienced, etc.) Very clever. Did you study Latin? (I never did, BTW)

You got it right! Since English is backwards vs other Latin based languages, it would translate closer to our understanding as "Perpetuus Novus".
No, never studied Latin.

Thanks all for the congrat's about the new job. The people I work with are really fun and positive, which makes for a rare and welcome workplace in my experience. Temp to perm, and it looks like a good fit. Also, it is a $10K/yr raise from my past 2 jobs, and back in IT Security where I belong.

The down side is that in 2 weeks, I'll be working nights on weekends. :thwap
At least it's just 3 nights one week and 4 nights the next week schedule, so I'll have plenty of time off during the week. I'll move into a better shift down the road.

Childbride
January 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
congrats on the job, Tig. :)

Bloozcat
January 20th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Congrats on the new job, Tig. No one has to tell you how fortunate you are to have landed it in this economy...and what sounds like a great working environment as well!
:beer:

tunghaichuan
January 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Not to be know-it-all, but I did study Latin so here goes:

Novus is an adjective that means "new." The closest word I could find for newbie (aka beginner) is inceptor. Perpetuus does mean perpetual, so the phrase you're looking for is inceptor perpetuus. In Latin it is customary to have the adjective follow the noun it is modifying. :french

FWIW.

And congrats on the new job. :AOK

sumitomo
January 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM
We gunna miss ya at here on the boat with the rest of us poor boys Tig! Congrats! Sumi:D

Bloozcat
January 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Not to be know-it-all, but I did study Latin so here goes:

Novus is an adjective that means "new." The closest word I could find for newbie (aka beginner) is inceptor. Perpetuus does mean perpetual, so the phrase you're looking for is inceptor perpetuus. In Latin it is customary to have the adjective follow the noun it is modifying. :french

FWIW.

And congrats on the new job. :AOK

So, like, what are you tung? A priest or something....:poke

tunghaichuan
January 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
So, like, what are you tung? A priest or something....:poke

I'll go with "or something." :pancake

:dude

tot_Ou_tard
January 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I'll go with "or something." :pancake

:dude
& malleus deorum?

tunghaichuan
January 20th, 2010, 05:05 PM
& malleus deorum?

"hammer of the gods"

:cool:

marnold
January 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM
As a person who took five years of Latin, I wholeheartedly approve of this thread.

Bloozcat
January 21st, 2010, 08:21 AM
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes." ;)

tunghaichuan
January 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes." ;)

Don't I know it ;)

Tig
January 21st, 2010, 06:11 PM
My boss plays guitar, has a studio, and has been in several local bands! No wonder he's always been so cool. :cool:

I'm in a good work place. He saw my laptop's wallpaper full of Strat's (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/2385347002_db44eb58d2_o.jpg), and he asked if I played guitar. :dude

Eric
January 21st, 2010, 10:22 PM
& malleus deorum?
From some brief googling, I'm going with something along the lines of "Hammer of the gods."

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
"hammer of the gods"

:cool:
Ah yes, I guessed the deus part.

Eric
January 24th, 2010, 09:04 AM
From some brief googling, I'm going with something along the lines of "Hammer of the gods."
Huh. I didn't see that he already responded by the time I wrote this. I feel dumb...