PDA

View Full Version : Need to record my practice: Portable Audio or Video Cam

Commodore 64
January 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM
So, I need to record my practicing. I also would like to do some sound clips so I could share the results of my tinkering: like when I swap tubes on my Blackheart or built my own pedal.

Should I look at something like a portable field recorder? (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/recording/portable-field-recorders) I like the ~$150 price point of the portable field recorder but I know that most of you post video links and they sound OK to me.

Any suggestions?

Robert
January 20th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Great idea, those units sound very good - Tascam, Zoom, etc - all very good quality. (just click on our ad here before you buy! :) )

The great thing about them is that they are so easy to record with. No need to set up microphones, bring a laptop/computer, sound cards, etc - just place it in front of your gear and hit record!

Monkus
January 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Or... you can get an iMac or macbook and use the built in cam. Then you get Garageband as well.... !!!

M29
April 25th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Thought I would bring up Commodore 64's thread again concerning the portable field recorders. I am looking to purchase one and wondered if you had any thoughts on these type recorders? Any of these fit our guitar/band oriented application better than others?

Thank you for your time and help.

M

deeaa
April 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Zoom stereo recorder is great...if you are tight about the cash, you could also try find a portable MD recorder. They are obsolete technology, sure, but for instance almost two years ago I got me a recorder that's not much bigger than the disk itself, runs on 1,5V battery or 5V wallwart, and came with an excellent Sony stereo condenser mic, and it was $60 including all plus a bunch of empty disks. You might find one for a song these days and they're still quite fine qualitywise. I'd sell you mine 4 cheep if I were closer, now that I have too many recording devices already.

There are obvious drawbacks, no direct copying of files to PC and so on, but the sound is very good anyhow. Not quite the zoom etc. quality perhaps but more than sufficient for recording well.

My cell phone also records surprisingly well, but can't handle loud volumes without breaking. Most digital cams record quite nice audio, but of course not perfect by any means.

One option might be to sell your soundcard and get a little more expensive gadget, the Zoom R-16...I have one and it's a dream in so many ways...only not pocket size any more. But it's a complete damned studio, you can make an 8-track home demo in minutes...plus a good soundcard with 8 inputs...

Jimi75
April 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Pls check my recent thread with clips of the Zoom H2. This unit is fantastic.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=15118

M29
April 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I am just starting to look into these and I know very little about them. thank you guys for the info.
As far as costs go, I figure I can go around 230.00 USD or so if I have to.
I would like to record live playing with a band, so I am wondering if they can handle the loud bass of that type situation.
I would like to be able to record a few different tracks if possible at that price range.
Would like to be able to use my SM57 at times if it would help.
I have been watching a few utubes but most are geared to promoting their business, don't know what I can trust there. There is quite a bit of info on the tube though.

Thanks you again guys for your time and help.

M

Stringtreat
April 25th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I have a panasonic camera with a 60 gig hard drive on it and a very high quality mic on board. It is great for recording practices.

hubberjub
April 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Those little Zoom recorders are enticing. I've heard good things. If you are looking for a video camera I'd recommend one of those little Flip Video cameras. I was given one as a gift and never thought I'd use it. I brought it to a few shows and a radio broadcast my band did and was very surprised. The video is great and the audio was pretty good as well. The included software makes it easy to upload to Facebook or Youtube. Here is one of the videos from the radio show we played. It's also the first time I've posted anything with me playing pedal steel so be kind. We just set it up in the corner of the room and let it go.
xRaFlg8Gp48

M29
April 26th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Jimi,

That sounds great! The recorder handles the bass very well, how far away was the recorder from the band? Center of the room maybe?

Nice chops man!!!

hubberjub,

Soundin great too. The recording and vid are very good!

Thanks guys
M

Jimi75
April 26th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Jimi,

That sounds great! The recorder handles the bass very well, how far away was the recorder from the band? Center of the room maybe?

The unit was about 6 foot from the band, positioned in front of us. We played pretty loud, as always. The rehearsal room has a tube form so the unit wasnÄt in the center, but at the end of the room.

Thanks for the compliment on the playing :happy