PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up a notch (AD60VTH)

TS808
September 19th, 2006, 10:17 AM
After alot of frustration with my AD100VT I took it back and it was replaced no questions. Something was wrong with it, as the new AD100VT sounds like a whole different amp.

I got to like the amp so much, I found a NOS AD60VTH that I just purchased. The idea of having some built in stomp effects (overdrive) as well as a presence control, at the fraction of a cost of a Line 6 Vetta was a real enticement.

I'm still going to keep my other amps...this is just one more for the tone arsenal.

Robert
September 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Wow, is that a head? I bet that one sounds great. I hope it doesn't fall apart.

TS808
September 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Wow, is that a head? I bet that one sounds great. I hope it doesn't fall apart.

LOL..Yeah, it's a head, and I hope it doesn't fall apart too..lol. It's the 60-watt model that was discontinued by Vox. Rumor has it on some sites that Vox is going to discontinue the AD120VTX and AD120VTH also, and go with the AD**VT series.

My first AD100VT had some problems, thus my love/hate relationship I had with it. I began to notice that when I was switching channels or going from manual mode to presets, etc., that the amp was sort of "freezing up". I would lose any stored tones I had, and I would have to tweak any knob and the patch I saved would come back immediately. I even did the factory reboot thing and that seemed to help, but I still exchanged the amp for another. Thus, that was why some models were sounding muddy and others just plain lousy...things were freezing up and not going back to the original settings.

Leonidas
September 22nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
How do you like the AD60VTH? How much better is it than the AD100VT? It looks GREAT on paper.

TS808
September 22nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
How do you like the AD60VTH? How much better is it than the AD100VT? It looks GREAT on paper.

I got the head delivered the other day, but had to order the cab too. I'm waiting for the cab to be delivered, so I'll give an update once all is up and running.

Leonidas
September 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
I got the head delivered the other day, but had to order the cab too. I'm waiting for the cab to be delivered, so I'll give an update once all is up and running.

Sweet! can't wait to hear how it is... keep us posted

TS808
September 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Sweet! can't wait to hear how it is... keep us posted

I got the AD212 cabinet delivered today. This is the cabinet with the NeoDog speakers in it. In addition, I have the VC-12 floorboard, so I got to take the amp for a "test drive" tonight for about an hour.

All I can say is WOW!!

The AD60VTH is much more dynamic than the the AD100VT. It sounds like a whole different amp when set on the different amp models.

Granted, I realize this is the honeymoon phase, but seriously, this amp sounds alot better. It is much more dynamic, the built-in effects are great, the presence knob gives it a bit more sparkle, and there is also a more tube-like feel and tone to the amp.

I saved 4 presets tonite...Blackface 212 (clean), Bassman with a Tubescreamer, UK Blues with a fuzz, and Boutique OD.

My initial thoughts.....if you're thinking about the Valvetronix, go for one of the better ones. There are some NOS AD60VTH heads floating around where the price has been cut, so if you have a good cab, I would seriously recommend spending a little bit more.

I used to really dig my Line 6 Duoverb and really thought that nailed the models very well, but I gotta say the AD60VTH is the better amp.

duhvoodooman
September 23rd, 2006, 07:38 PM
SWEET!! Everything I've read says the 60/120VTD and VTH models are definitely a step or three up from the 15-30-50-100VT series. So how's chances for a couple of clips with those new presets?? :DR

Robert
September 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Part of the reason for the better tone probably has to do with the decent cab you now have.

When I use my Avatar cab with my Vox AD50VT, the amp sounds much better.

TS808
September 24th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Part of the reason for the better tone probably has to do with the decent cab you now have.

When I use my Avatar cab with my Vox AD50VT, the amp sounds much better.

The cab is definitely a piece of the equation. The NeoDog speakers do add a different dimension and tone to the amp. I agree.

The AD60VTH though has a totally different tone to it too. I had heard a couple bands gig with the AD120VTX and was blown away at their tone. The AD60VTH also has some additional features too that I think really add to the tone. I just think overall, it's a better amp. The AD**VT amps are pretty good too, but I think the AD60 and AD120 just nail the tones alot better.

TS808
September 24th, 2006, 06:23 AM
SWEET!! Everything I've read says the 60/120VTD and VTH models are definitely a step or three up from the 15-30-50-100VT series. So how's chances for a couple of clips with those new presets?? :DR

I'd love to throw a few soundclips up, but that's always a tough one for me. My PC is kept upstairs and my amps in the basement due to space issues. I usually do my recording with a POD XT.

I need a super long mic chord..lol. Or I need an addition on the house..lol.

Robert
September 24th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I'd love to have a head like that! Does it come with a pedal board for switching between sounds?

TS808
September 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I'd love to have a head like that! Does it come with a pedal board for switching between sounds?

Robert,
Vox makes two pedal boards for the amp. The VC-4 and the VC-12. The VC-4 was discontinued, but there are some NOS ones floating around ebay. The VC-12 is pretty cool....has a built in volume pedal and a built in expression/wah pedal. The expression pedal is pretty cool....if you have a tubescreamer with a bassman patch, you can set the expression pedal to work as an on/off switch for the tubescreamer.

I know you said you didn't like the cab much on the AD50VT and you have the avatar. The head would sound super sweet through that cab I'll bet.

I'm seeing some of the AD60VTH heads going for as low as $350 on ebay since they were discontinued. I think new they were $499.

I'm going to keep the AD100VT too, and may do a speaker swap on that down the road.