PDA

View Full Version : new member

BigBadWolf1171
January 21st, 2010, 02:42 PM
hello fret friends, im new to the forum,my name is Allen, im 38 living in NY.
ive been toying with guitars for roughly 4 years and finally want to take it serious. i have a ton of questions, i hope some are willing to help me with, as im more then willing to help anyone with the knowledge i have at anytime. my main interest in guitar is hard rock/ softer metal. (one mans metal is another man's rock is another man hard core), i like alot of 80's rock as well as current rock in ex. disturbed killswitch engage 5fdp, etc..however i enjoy alot of other music as well ,more so oldies (50's).my first and foremost queastion is, while ive toy'd with guitars for 4 yrs, and took lessons for 3 months,im just not sure where to begin,i can read tabs and can play most anything off a tab with alot of practice, however i dont know any chords or scales, as im decent at palm muting, and tapping, i feel like im lost as to playing the guitar. Almost like i tried to start at point B ,skipping point A. i appreciate any input, ty, Al

Robert
January 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Wolfman, welcome to the gang! (did I just rhyme?)

Lots of people here to help with questions. Ask away.

Enjoy!

BigBadWolf1171
January 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
thanks robert .as i scanned the forums late last night, i see theres alot of friendly and knowledgable members here:AOK

bcdon
January 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM
Welcome to The Fret! This really is a nice place to (virtually) hang out.

Cheers! :dude

FrankenFretter
January 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM
Welcome, BBW!

BigBadWolf1171
January 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
thanks don, frank!

oldguy
January 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Wolf ! :happy

mrmudcat
January 21st, 2010, 07:02 PM
welcome

markb
January 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM
Hi, Allen!

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2010, 11:45 PM
Hi Allen! I am sure you will find lots of good info here to start to develop your vocabulary and put names on what you are already doing, as you referred to in your other thread. I started a few years ago too, in my 40s. A fun new passion that you can feed here for sure!

BigBadWolf1171
January 22nd, 2010, 12:12 AM
thanks guys, i look forward to threading with you all.

SuperSwede
January 22nd, 2010, 03:03 AM
Welcome Allen!

Commodore 64
January 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM
my first and foremost queastion is, while ive toy'd with guitars for 4 yrs, and took lessons for 3 months,im just not sure where to begin,i can read tabs and can play most anything off a tab with alot of practice, however i dont know any chords or scales, as im decent at palm muting, and tapping, i feel like im lost as to playing the guitar. Almost like i tried to start at point B ,skipping point A. i appreciate any input, ty, Al

I know how you feel. I'm kind of in the same situation. I started with a Mel Bay Chord book and Neil Young Decade Song book though, so the first things I learned were open chords. I can switch failry will between open chords, and am OK with F-shape Barre Chords...however...I've got no rhythm and I'm very, very weak on palm muting.

Lately, I've taken a liking to blues for a couple of reasons. The 12 bar blues pattern is easy to remember, and easy to recognize. Blues shuffles rhythms are easy to feel, and are great for working on finger dexterity, pinky stretching and left hand strength. A lot of blues shuffle fingerings overlap with power chords...so I find that working on them helps me when I want to practice a little Fade to Black, Power Slave, or Paranoid. Come Together by the Beatles is good blues shuffle rhythm practice too. I posted tab for a few rock songs with blues shuffle fingerings here: http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=155809&postcount=13

I just got a book, Texas Blues Guitar by Mark Calva. FWIW, he starts by showing the Blues Box Pattern in A, then he shows 24 short riffs, and then moves to shuffle rhythms, and then finally to solos. He suggests working through the book in that order.

evenkeel
January 22nd, 2010, 07:01 AM
Welcome to the gang!!! :applause :applause

Monkus
January 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Welcome!!! and have fun !!!!

BigBadWolf1171
January 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
I know how you feel. I'm kind of in the same situation. I started with a Mel Bay Chord book and Neil Young Decade Song book though, so the first things I learned were open chords. I can switch failry will between open chords, and am OK with F-shape Barre Chords...however...I've got no rhythm and I'm very, very weak on palm muting.

Lately, I've taken a liking to blues for a couple of reasons. The 12 bar blues pattern is easy to remember, and easy to recognize. Blues shuffles rhythms are easy to feel, and are great for working on finger dexterity, pinky stretching and left hand strength. A lot of blues shuffle fingerings overlap with power chords...so I find that working on them helps me when I want to practice a little Fade to Black, Power Slave, or Paranoid. Come Together by the Beatles is good blues shuffle rhythm practice too. I posted tab for a few rock songs with blues shuffle fingerings here: http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=155809&postcount=13

I just got a book, Texas Blues Guitar by Mark Calva. FWIW, he starts by showing the Blues Box Pattern in A, then he shows 24 short riffs, and then moves to shuffle rhythms, and then finally to solos. He suggests working through the book in that order.
thanks como i appreciate your help, and thanks for the welcome guys !