PDA

View Full Version : Earthquakes. I hope we aren't next

Spudman
January 21st, 2010, 07:29 PM
Associated Press - January 21, 2010 5:34 PM ET

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) - Geologists report three more minor earthquakes rattled Yellowstone National Park as part of swarm that began Sunday.

The Wyoming State Geological Survey says the Wednesday earthquakes measured magnitudes 2.9, 3.6 and 3.7. There were no reports of injuries or damages.

Yellowstone National Park spokesman Al Nash says people reported feeling the Wednesday quakes at the park locations of Old Faithful, Canyon and Mammoth and in the Montana towns of West Yellowstone and Gardiner.

The University of Utah Seismograph Stations reports that the swarm of earthquakes are probably the result of slip on pre-existing faults rather than underground movement of magma.

It says the swarm has included 901 earthquakes, ranging from magnitude 0.5 to 3.8. :eek:

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM
Here is info about another "swarm" of quakes in YNP about a year ago.

http://www.yellowstone.net/earthquakes.htm

And a report on the recent activity:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14216212?source=rss

marnold
January 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Isn't Yellowstone basically one super-massive volcano?

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2010, 08:35 PM
Yes, there is the caldera. It is referenced in one of the articles I linked. The scientist in that article says clusters of earthquakes happen periodically, but that it is not directly related to possible volcano activity.

I hope he is right. I guess I put that kind of risk in the same category as I put the risk of the Seattle area in which I was raised being nuked in the first few minutes of a missile launch. Doesn't do much good to worry about it.

sumitomo
January 21st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Isn't Yellowstone basically one super-massive volcano?
Yep! I was just there last Sept. and to look at that huge lake that became as a result of an exposion WOW! hang on boys were going fer a ride.Sumi:D

Robert
January 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM
I just sent a donation to the Red Cross, regarding Haiti emergency aid. Every little bit should help, if people chip in.

Tone2TheBone
January 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
We pitched in at church last Sunday.

M29
January 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Done

Monkus
January 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Trinidad and Haiti are Caribbean neighbors, a lot of drives going on here. Cans, cash, clothing are all being sent. Our church alone collected abour 10K in cash and about 10K cans and bags of clothing during this week. I'm privileged to be a part of that drive.

Tig
January 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
A whole lotta' shakin' goin' on!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_64-fPthGj2k/SBo-JM6YLiI/AAAAAAAAAuA/AZQNNdk74VE/s1600/jerryLeeLewis.jpg

MAXIFUNK
January 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
I live in So Cal there are expected one just never knows when.

The Northridge Quake in Jan of 1994 felt like KING KONG V.S. GODZILLA
outside my house. i heard the 5 freeway fall down it was so much FUN NOT!

But, that is the price of Living in Cali.

Spudman
January 22nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
I live in So Cal there are expected one just never knows when.

The Northridge Quake in Jan of 1994 felt like KING KONG V.S. GODZILLA
outside my house. i heard the 5 freeway fall down it was so much FUN NOT!

But, that is the price of Living in Cali.

Ya, but you guys will only fall into the ocean. We'll get boiled in molten lava. :french

sumitomo
January 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Not me I have beach front property!:french Sumi:D