PDA

View Full Version : Finally winter!

deeaa
January 21st, 2010, 11:55 PM
-25 and still too warm to cycle to work if wearing full winter gear:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/cycle.jpg

Robert
January 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
Way to go! You'd fit in well here in Canada. :)

We had minus 46 on my birthday in December.

deeaa
January 22nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Way to go! You'd fit in well here in Canada. :)

We had minus 46 on my birthday in December.

Phew! now that'd be too much for me...very rarely goes below -30 here....warmer every year.

bcdon
January 23rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Phew! now that'd be too much for me...very rarely goes below -30 here....warmer every year.
Not all of Canada is that cold. Come over here to Vancouver and laugh at us when we bundle up because it's (barely) Zero.

deeaa
January 23rd, 2010, 12:53 PM
Not all of Canada is that cold. Come over here to Vancouver and laugh at us when we bundle up because it's (barely) Zero.

I'd love to visit Canada some day...seems like the kind of a place I could enjoy living in. My wife is a scientist and we probably at some point will have to spend a year or two abroad near a big inernational university...could be US but could elsewhere too...even down under...If i could choose, Canada would be great...but I don't know if us boys will also move with her or wait here...depends on situation. I can't think of how could I come up with a job...I practically only am professional in teaching English for non-native English speakers like Finns...I could do some creative design jobs but suspect nobody would hire me for management level in that and my practical skills are outdated...maybe audio work but same problem...so that would spell trouble in how could we all live abroad on one scientist income...and what to do with the house and all in the meantime.

bcdon
January 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
As for working in Canada, you should be able to get a temporary visa to work while your wife was here. Also, teaching English is really big here because a lot of kids (Japan, in particular) come here to learn as it's (mostly) a lot safer and cheaper than in the states. I don't know how many Finns come here to learn English but you could start the trend! :-) As for the house, I suppose you could find a renter if you really wanted to. There are always plenty of options if you set yourself upon it.

Cheers!

don