PDA

View Full Version : Who Have You Found on Facebook?

just strum
January 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I signed up to contact this girl (now a woman) that I dated when I was about 19. Since joining, I have

* Found three cousins I haven't seen or spoken to in over 30 years. We are planning on getting together when it gets a little warmer. It was great to talk to them.

* A couple of old co-workers that I haven't seen or spoken to for about 20 - 25 years. Getting together for a bite to eat and drinks after work in the near future.

* Made a few new friends from Norway, Canada, and Puerto Rico. I communicate with a few of them almost everyday. Would love to meet some or all in person, but email, FB, and phone will have to do.

So how about you - anyone making contact with old friends or long lost family?

guitarhack
January 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Similar story. I've been contacted by old college friends I haven't seen or heard in 30 some years, plus former co-workers, an old girl friend, etc. It's great making those contacts again and catching up with everyone.

street music
January 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have two ole girlfriends, 3 classmates from H.S., and several I have met in the music shows, a few kids I coached years ago in baseball. I've had several try to be friends that I don't have a clue who they are.

just strum
January 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Maybe we could get a "sticky" thread that notes our name on FB and our name here on thefret. I have people on FB that are from here, but there are a few I can't match up to their fret name.

Robert - what do you think?

marnold
January 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I've gotten back in touch with a ton of high school classmates I haven't heard from in forever.

Robert
January 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Okay, sure - do you want to start a new FB thread? Or just continue this one?

I have connected with a lot of my classmates from grade 1 to 9. Plus I have some "guitar fans", so to speak.

Maybe we could get a "sticky" thread that notes our name on FB and our name here on thefret. I have people on FB that are from here, but there are a few I can't match up to their fret name.

Robert - what do you think?

just strum
January 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
It really doesn't matter. I was thinkking if we started a new one anyone that wants to post their FB name can just put in a thread that is specific to that purpose. That way they wouldn't have to search through this where people are discussing who they've gotten in touch with on FB.

Maybe a thread titled FB contact names. Those that want to use it can post their names there.

Would that work?

Okay, sure - do you want to start a new FB thread? Or just continue this one?

I have connected with a lot of my classmates from grade 1 to 9. Plus I have some "guitar fans", so to speak.

Robert
January 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Sounds like worth a try, strumboy.

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
No facebook for me.

You think the interwebz is a big deal, but it doesn't reach my planet.

Spudman
January 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
I really held out and didn't sign up though many people sent me requests to do so. I wasn't interested in spending time on Facebook. I had other things to do. Eventually I signed up and found some high school friends and it was neat to see what they were up to. So I really thought the Facebook thing was all right for a while...until the mother of my child found me. Now I know the absolute down side of Facebook. People that you don't want to find you - can find you.

All I'm saying is think about it first.

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
..the mother of my child.

The same could be said of you...;)

just strum
January 23rd, 2010, 07:49 PM

That's one reason I don't use my real name anywhere on the web. I can find them, but they can't find me. There are too many people out there that I don't want finding me.

sunvalleylaw
January 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM
. So I really thought the Facebook thing was all right for a while...until the mother of my child found me. Now I know the absolute down side of Facebook. People that you don't want to find you - can find you.

Sorry about your sordid past. It's a shame you must now hide from who you are . . . :poke :bootyshake

I have found a bunch of old friends. High school, college, one or two from law school, ski friends from old days, old friends from summer camps, I could go on.

street music
January 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
The biggest problem I have seen on FB is viruses from the things that people try to get you to join or post too.

Spudman
January 23rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Sorry about your sordid past. It's a shame you must now hide from who you are . . . :poke :bootyshake

I have found a bunch of old friends. High school, college, one or two from law school, ski friends from old days, old friends from summer camps, I could go on.

Don't berate me...son. Luke, I am your father.:crazyguy

deeaa
January 23rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Lotsa old classmates etc, yeah...

Guitar50
January 24th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I attended GIT back in 1981-82 and made a lot of friends from around the world. Facebook has enabled me to find some classmates that I thought I had lost contact with forever.

just strum
January 24th, 2010, 08:06 AM

The way I look at it, if you don't have to worry about old cell mates locating you, then your life wasn't that sordid.

Monkus
January 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Same here, lotsa old gf's, classmates, cousins, really nice to get back in touch. Facebook updated its software late 2009, and now you can really only show the info that you want certain people to see. I'm not on fb regularly though, maybe once every other day. Some of the online games there are killer too !

markb
January 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I found a drummer I hadn't seen since 1981. I finally got to ask him where all my Zappa and Who albums went :cool:

marnold
January 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Daddy?

Bloozcat
January 25th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Although I don't think I'd have to worry about any surprises like Spud's (at least none I was ever aware of!), I've just not been interested in Facebook or sites like it. I get invitations to join from friends every now and then, but I just don't respond to them.

I signed up at Classmates.com a few years ago but found that I wasn't really interested in reliving high school. I'm so far removed from those days. I guess I'm just happy living in the here and now, with current friends and the old friends whom I've stayed in contact with all along.

Now, maybe if there was some rich, long lost uncle or something out there.....:D

Brian Krashpad
January 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Very few high school people, although I did find by chance the girl I went to prom with. A lot of "scene" people that I sort of knew from the early punk rock scene in Gainesville, including the bass player in my first band, his ex-wife, her sister, etc. In fact, he died about nine months ago, and had I not had him as a fb friend I still wouldn't know about it (he was only in his late 40's or so)-- as it was, I only found out several months after the fact. Better late than never, though I guess.

Spudman
January 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Daddy?
Nope.

mainestratman
January 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Mostly classmates for me.. I try to avoid most of my family, and ex's... but I've got all my privacy settings set on "I'm invisible" and have people I found before they found me set on "block", so I won't even come up on their searches.

It's a neat tool for networking.