PDA

View Full Version : Superglue??

redgibson
January 25th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I have been playing a lot more often and aggresively than before, I am in two bands now, multiple practices and jams and practcing per week etc... so basically the skin under by nail started detaching from the nail on my index finger from hours of string bending. I threw a drop of superglue in there and pressed my finger lightly on the surface of my desk and 20 seconds later it was repaired! Amazing. Wondering however if this practice is safe... someone told me Stevie Ray and others did it all the time etc.. because I have a lot of playing to do some superglue might just start living in my guitar case. Any other "gluers" here?

:help

M29
January 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I often wondered the same thing, sometimes a finger will get dried out and split on the tip and I have often thought of doing that but didn't.

Will be interesting to hear from others!! Whats up doc? :poke

Eric
January 25th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I have been playing a lot more often and aggresively than before, I am in two bands now, multiple practices and jams and practcing per week etc... so basically the skin under by nail started detaching from the nail on my index finger from hours of string bending. I threw a drop of superglue in there and pressed my finger lightly on the surface of my desk and 20 seconds later it was repaired! Amazing. Wondering however if this practice is safe... someone told me Stevie Ray and others did it all the time etc.. because I have a lot of playing to do some superglue might just start living in my guitar case. Any other "gluers" here?

:help
Well, I thought someone had once told me that superglue was invented as an alternative to band-aids, so I googled this (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2187/was-super-glue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam).

If your skin isn't irritated and you didn't burn yourself, I'd say you're good to go. Looks like the potential risks are pretty low-risk anyway.

redgibson
January 25th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah I just used the tiniest drop i could get from the krazy glue allocator. it didn't burn or sting or anything. Sounds good thanks :-)

Spudman
January 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM
The reqular super glues have a chemical in them that will burn and irritate an open wound. Surgical glues like Dermabond (http://www.dermabond.com/) wont. Problem is that it's hard to come by for us regular folks.

Edit:
Check that. I found some affordable skin glue.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=Dermabond&rh=i:aps,k:Dermabond&page=1

duhvoodooman
January 25th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Gluing a nail back on is bad enough, but the "lore" is that Stevie Ray actually used Super Glue to glue his callouses back on when they'd tear off, prolly from doing those hellacious Albert King bends on the 13's he used to string his guitars with! OUCH!!! :what

sumitomo
January 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Just make sure the glue is dry before you take a piss! Don't ask. Sumi:D

Spudman
January 25th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Just make sure the glue is dry before you take a piss! Don't ask. Sumi:D
:what What do you mean "don't ask?" You'll drive all of us crazy unless you spill the beans.

Oh, and pics or it didn't happen.:D

sumitomo
January 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I can't take a picture through the microscope. Sumi:D

Spudman
January 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I can't take a picture through the microscope. Sumi:D

It looks like you have more serious things going on than super glue.:poke :D

sumitomo
January 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
All I heard was freeze! Hands on your head! then I passed out.Sumi:D

Plank_Spanker
February 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I've heard stories of players shaving off skin from the balls of their feet and super gluing them to their fingertips.................:what

Unknown Fan
February 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I have used super glue to good effect over the years, the only problems I have had is lack of feeling in the fingertip and the slick surface it can create once dry if too much is applied...