PDA

View Full Version : Apple's new iPad

Robert
January 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM
So whaddya think?

4_zI21XEo0Q

bcdon
January 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I think The Onion predicted this a long time ago.
9BnLbv6QYcA

FrankenFretter
January 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
It's very thin, and...it's very thin.

Don, I totally remember that Onion spoof. I love The Onion!

bcdon
January 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Yeah, The Onion is fantastic!

How about this concept image for talking on the iPad. :crazyguy

http://img159.yfrog.com/img159/7097/jtablet.jpg

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM
If it could run Word or even Apple's word processor that can save docs as Word compatible docs, it could be a very useful tool, and be fun too. It is cool it can run iTouch/iPhone apps too. As it is though, I would want word processing ability, so I would just get one of the nice laptops.

Robert
January 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Steve, check out http://www.apple.com/ipad/app-store/

iWork. Completely reimagined for iPad.

The iWork productivity applications that people know and love on the Mac — Keynote, Pages, and Numbers — have been completely redesigned for iPad. So you can create incredible presentations, word processing documents, and spreadsheets by directly touching the words and images on the large, Multi-Touch screen. And each of these apps has been designed specially for iPad, with completely new features. So while they’re simple and easy to use, they’re also the most powerful productivity apps ever built for a mobile device. They even import iWork ’09 and Microsoft Office documents and allow you to send in iWork ’09 and PDF formats. And because Keynote, Pages, and Numbers will be sold individually on the App Store, you can purchase them all at once, or add them to your iPad over time.

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Cool! That was what I meant when I referred to Apple's version of a word processor. I did not see in the features, etc. that it ran that. Could be a really cool tool for travel, as an alternative to a laptop. I still would lean toward a full laptop, as I prefer essentially a portable desktop type of experience from a laptop, rather than a notebook sort of experience, but it deserves a look anyway.

markb
January 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Why am I reminded of this?

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/image7.png :cool:

rylanmartin
January 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Why am I reminded of this?

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/image7.png :cool:

so awesome.

I'm intrigued. This thing would probably pretty awesome much more for work related application much more so than any home or entertainment based application...

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I think that the new iPad rocks.. I definately want one, especially the bookstore appeals to me.

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I think they look great. Would be a very fun and productive tool. With the app model for new programs, who knows what programmers will come up with to use on the larger space and with the larger virtual keypad, etc.

But the jokes are hilarious too. Check out this prescient one from way back in 2006 on MadTV! (warning, some references to private parts included).

YFNQE_TzQNI&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI&feature=player_embedded

marnold
January 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM
The killer will be its lack of Flash support. That will make it relatively useless for much of the web.

djmcconnell
January 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I need to try one out, but think it would be a great "living room and kitchen" computer for browsing, email and social networking.

A lot better than a netbook or a smartphone for those kinds of tasks.

A 32Gb non-3G for me!

Robert
January 28th, 2010, 11:58 AM
So I guess people are calling it the "iTampon" now... does it come with wings?

Monkus
January 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I'll have to wait for the international version...

msteeln
January 28th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Havn't heard media reviews being very kind to this one. Lot's of 'if it did blah blah it would be cool', or 'it's just a big iphone that you can't make calls with'.

Got a feeling the price will be dropping hard and fast. Wait for xmas.

marnold
January 28th, 2010, 02:54 PM
'it's just a big iphone that you can't make calls with'.
That's what it strikes me as. I really don't like bringing a cellphone-esque apps system along. Companies have been trying to get tablet PCs off the ground for a long time. Maybe Steve Jobs has the solution. In many ways tablets strike me as being a solution in search of a problem.

ibanezjunkie
January 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
ive done some scouring around, and ive found out a few things...

- many people, even apple fans, have said it probably wont take off, because the functionality is fairly poor compared to the iPhone (quite bulky in size, 3G costs extra, no multitasking (though neither has iPhone))

-its probably VERY easy to break, and being as how it going to be a brand new release, its probably loaded with bugs that have to be worked out over time.

-IJ

markb
January 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
ive done some scouring around, and ive found out a few things...

- many people, even apple fans, have said it probably wont take off, because the functionality is fairly poor compared to the iPhone (quite bulky in size, 3G costs extra, no multitasking (though neither has iPhone))

Can't argue with that. I think an iPod Touch or iPhone is more my ideal for this kind of device.

... and being as how it going to be a brand new release, its probably loaded with bugs that have to be worked out over time.

-IJ

Not the Apple way, you must be thinking of some other company there.

peachhead
January 28th, 2010, 09:41 PM
'it's just a big iphone that you can't make calls with'.

That's almost exactly what someone at work said- except he added "and you can read books on it."
It looks neat but I don't feel the need to spend the money on it. Personally, I like the feeling of holding a book in my hands while I read it, kinda like Lewis Grizzard thought about newspapers (to those not familiar with Lewis, you're missing out).

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2010, 11:26 PM
If it gets the Flash thing figured out, and I am sure it will, I still think it could be a nice tool. I do not take a laptop on family trips as often any more, as I can get my email on my iPhone. But having a bigger pad to work from, and the ability to do some word processing, and maybe show a movie for the kids on the car ride, etc., could be very cool. Plus, how it all fits together will be very nice.

As one who has and uses an iPhone, the same concept with more room to work could be very nice indeed.

Lev
January 29th, 2010, 04:56 AM
If it gets the Flash thing figured out, and I am sure it will, I still think it could be a nice tool. I do not take a laptop on family trips as often any more, as I can get my email on my iPhone. But having a bigger pad to work from, and the ability to do some word processing, and maybe show a movie for the kids on the car ride, etc., could be very cool. Plus, how it all fits together will be very nice.

As one who has and uses an iPhone, the same concept with more room to work could be very nice indeed.

Ah but the question is how are the kids going to watch that movie? No DVD drive, no USB port, no external HDD support. It means the only way you can get a movie is to download it from Apple - if it's a movie you like you'll probably have it on DVD anyway so will you end up paying for it twice?

This thing can't multi-task either so only one application at a time can be used - no word processing and listening to music at the same time. It's sexy as hell but has very limited usability from what I can see..

ibanezjunkie
January 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
my friends are hell bent on getting the 3G versions (cheapest 3G ones) so im guessing ill find out if they're worth it soon enough.

the way i see it, is as a cheaper, touch screen macbook air.

no optical drive, small hard drive, too thin to be fast, little RAM, etc.

SuperSwede
January 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I am 100% certain that Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ives knows exactly what they are doing... just wait and see (they were right on track with all new apple products since 1998 with the introduction of the first iMac). People said the same thing when apple (!) decided to make their own mp3 player..... the rest is history.

ibanezjunkie
January 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
i love how open-minded this forum is as a whole

most people either love it CUS ITS APPLE LOLOLOL or hate it BECUZ APPLE SUX LOLOLOL.

Commodore 64
January 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
i love how open-minded this forum is as a whole

most people either love it CUS ITS APPLE LOLOLOL or hate it BECUZ APPLE SUX LOLOLOL.

I think you're projecting. Do they have psychology classes in the A-Levels? :D

msteeln
January 30th, 2010, 07:13 PM
...and he's not happy - lQnT0zp8Ya4&feature=popt00us02