PDA

View Full Version : Windows Operating System for PCs question

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Are there any PC/Windows geeks out there? I ran into a problem with losing restore points...I think. I'm not sure if I inadvertently deleted previous restore points or not because when I go to System Restore...only today's date shows up and I need restore points from last week! Does Windows store these files/points somewhere on the HD where I can find them? If they're gone for good when running System Restore...are they? Ahhhh!! :(

No Mac users may respond with told you so's. :)

warren0728
September 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
No Mac users may respond with told you so's. :)

biting tongue.... :p

btw: what are restore points?

ww

SuperSwede
September 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Ohh... no comment then. :D

Have you checked out the windows built-in help ? Sometimes those guides can be quite useful.

Tim
September 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Tone - First you must sign in as the Administrator. Did you try Restore Wizard? To restore the System data by clicking the Tools menu, and then clicking Restore Wizard.

Or go to start, then Run, and then type "restore" in the window. When the new window appears click on the "rstrui" application. It will take you into the restore system. There you can either restore from an ealier time or create a restore point. Hope this helps.

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Warren - HA! I knew you'd say something. :)

SS - Windows help sux...besides I tried that already. ;)

Tim - Going to try that now thanks!

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Tim - Tried that and well it opens up the System Restore dialog box. I've been opening that dialog box all day long already. It only dates today's point. All my prior system restore points are gone. I was hoping that I could manually (read magically) find them again by using Windows Explorer or something. Looks like I'm screwed.

Oh Warren, restore points are points in time where the OS will revert back to in case you have computer problems and you want to revert back to a day before your computer started acting up.

warren0728
September 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
have you tried pressing f8 while booting....this should take you to a selkection area before windows boots...there you could select " last known correct configuration" or something like that....

ww

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2006, 02:36 PM
have you tried pressing f8 while booting....this should take you to a selkection area before windows boots...there you could select " last known correct configuration" or something like that....

ww

No I haven't tried that. Let me do it and see what happens. If I don't come back nice knowing ya! LMAO

Tim
September 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Be verwy verwy careful!

Tim
September 20th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Did you log on as the Administrator??? You can not do nothing without the proper log in. I do not think hit F8 during bootup will fix the problem. It is an OS function.

warren0728
September 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM
i've had to do it with my sons pc....no big deal....just keep clicking f8 after it starts booting....after it gives you the option to click esc or f2 to enter setup

ww

warren0728
September 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
tim...it stops the boot process right before loading windows, you can then select to boot into safe mode, regular mode or last known working configuration

ww

Tim
September 20th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Yes I know. But the OS goes back to the original installtion time frame. It will not let you pick a date to go back too.

Tones been gone to long. This is not good. Come back Tone!

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM
LMAO I'm back. Wish I could say better than ever though.

Didn't work Warren. It just starts the OS process when I F8 with no option to start in last known working config.

I just think the restore points got wiped out. I don't know how cause I'm sure I didn't deleted them accidently. I know the process of how to do that and I didn't do it. Hmmm....

Tim
September 20th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Glad to see you back Tone. Got to go.

Cranium
September 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM
What exactly is wrong that you have to use system restore?

Tone2TheBone
September 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM
I'm running Virtual Machine on my PC and it started acting up when I installed a component to the program. I wanted to revert back to the day before I installed the component but thats when I found all my previous restore points were gone. Frick.

SuperSwede
September 21st, 2006, 09:02 AM
Tone, you should take a bite of the sweet fruit called Apple :D

Tone2TheBone
September 21st, 2006, 09:11 AM
It's not my 'puter buddy it's work's. Everyone pretty much uses PCs for their work computers here unless you work for a graphic arts company or something.

warren0728
September 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM
still biting tongue.... :p

ww

Tone2TheBone
September 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM
still biting tongue.... :p

ww

haha Yeah yeah yeahhh.... ;) Ok you can say something. :)

SuperSwede
September 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Shhh.. Warren, dont tell him about all the cool music apps that are available on the Mac. Or the very slick & user-friendly operating system (nope, restore points not necessary). Or the Virus & trouble free experience.

Tone2TheBone
September 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah I'm a slave to Microshaft I know. :o Hey at least I got a Marshall. +1

Tim
September 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Apple users BEWARE !!! Your computers are vulnerable. It’s just a matter of time. You have been beating on your chests too long. There’s a geek out there working on a scheme to invade your privacy.

warren0728
September 21st, 2006, 02:28 PM
possibly tim...the difference is that apple is basically a unix system with a pleasant gui. Unix is the most stable operating system outhere and thwarts hacks better than other operating systems....that is why it is the prefered operating system for most of the servers out there.

One of the main reasons is that on the windows platform everything is left open (vulnerable) by default and it is your job to make sure to close holes in the system whereas unix/osx is setup with maximum protection by default and it is up to you to "open" it up more if necessary.

ww

Cranium
September 21st, 2006, 04:51 PM
However, you can't play too many video games on a Mac ;) , also in my opinion windows pc's are more entrainment based, but what do I know, I never even used a Mac, they scare me :p.

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2006, 11:02 PM
Well..my 2 cents... All systems are vulnerable.. Unix is very much included.. it boils down to what is used mostly gets the news spread more rapidly.. check the net.. they all have holes and get worms virus etc etc... I been through most of them.. but I am/was a gamer.. and you go to the platform that suits your needs.. everything is available everywhere for Windows... nothing out there has more software vendors then Windows platform.

As for the Restore system (actually a great feature that does work very well but takes about 10-15% of your hard drive space).. I think it works like this... if you turned it off.. and then shut down your computer and then turned it back on.. well.. it's gone.. freed the space on the drive...
your allowed to say oops..or sonofa... but thats not the systems fault.. it's how it works..

Mark
September 22nd, 2006, 01:05 AM
Heres my 2 cents as well. As it stands now you buy a Win based PC, Gates gets $$$ buy a Mac Jobs gets $$$ the lines are no longer clear cut as they once were. I guess Im a PC snob who's been building AMD ( shudder ...I remember when that was a bad word too?) computers, water cooled, overclocking, electron sucking, Byte crunching, gaming monfredos for years.

This aint no Mac
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Bigredhog/?action=view&current=DSC00528.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch7

I was tickled when I started to learn about setting up my DAW that my computer breezes through any recording app/plugin combination I throw at it. No matter what system you run back-ups are critical. Personally I have used Acronis for years and it works great, never tried win restore.

The only real thing saving Apple from hacks is numbers, Unix helps but it aint bulletproof by no means. Apple represents too small a segment for the script kiddies to have fun disrupting it. Look at Firefox the be all to browsers now that theres more folks going to it, there are more idiots hacking it. Justa is very correct. No matter what system you run you have to plan ahead for every thing you do. Them freakin electrons have a mind of their own ifin ya let em. Sorry your havin trouble T2B, it does sound like your restore point is toast.

SuperSwede
September 22nd, 2006, 02:38 AM
Tone, I got one too. A tiny MS-2 mini marshall somewhere :D +1

Risk of going TOO much off topic in this, but talking about MAC/PC, well I take quality over quantity any day. I dont say that PC´s are all bad, but often they require a lot of maintenance to operate smoothly. Besides, with the new Core Duo macs you can run both Windows & Mac OS..

Mark
September 22nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
Actually SS I think a lot of us me included are looking through glasses from yesteryear. There was a time Mac was the king for video/graphics as well as stability, those days have passed. WinXP is one stable platform and can do anything a Mac can, sure there are programs specific to each that can be better/preferred. Now Macs run on typical X86 hardware and as support in that area grows the difference will only be the users preference. Kind of like Gibson/Fender, different yet very similiar As of today both systems are extremely stable and fast and either can perform just about any task you need. It still amazes me all the advances in all computers over the last 20 years, one things for sure I dont miss DOS .......C:\ .*.